Best Stand-Alone USB Throttle ?

hi all! i'm currently using the trusty Microsoft FFB 2 as my main driver. however was considering getting an additional throttle hardware to allow a HOTAS setup while still keeping my beloved FFB. so i wanted to get input from you fine folks on suggestions for the best stand-alone USB throttle?

thanks@

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

I like my CH Pro throttle a lot , but for your setup , you might consider the Warthog throttle as it has more switches . It can be purchased separately (if dearly) . Being a twin throttle , it is also advantageous when air to air refueling (providing you are flying a twin-engined jet) .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have been pretty happy with my Warthog throttle for some time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

many thanks all for your feedback, this'll help narrow down my research!

edit: that Virpil throttle is amazing! too bad it seems out of stock :(

edot 2: i think I've decided to go for the Thrustmaster VG TWCS Throttle Controller. it seems the most bang for your buck (can't beat that price). i've not used a throttle quadrant before so this seems a good introductory one with lots of switches and buttons. thanks for the feedback here we go!

Edited by dresoccer4

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

many thanks all for your feedback, this'll help narrow down my research!

edit: that Virpil throttle is amazing! too bad it seems out of stock :(

edot 2: i think I've decided to go for the Thrustmaster VG TWCS Throttle Controller. it seems the most bang for your buck (can't beat that price). i've not used a throttle quadrant before so this seems a good introductory one with lots of switches and buttons. thanks for the feedback here we go!

Wise choice IMO - I have all of the throttles available, and all of the past ones pretty much, and for the $ I think that the TM TWCS is superior to the CH throttle, it's closest and most similar competitor, and is much less expensive (relatively) as well. The TM WH throttle is great, but you can buy 3 or even 4 TWCS for the same price when you catch the TWCS on sale (the Warthog throttle never goes on sale from what I can tell).

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Wise choice IMO - I have all of the throttles available, and all of the past ones pretty much, and for the $ I think that the TM TWCS is superior to the CH throttle, it's closest and most similar competitor, and is much less expensive (relatively) as well. The TM WH throttle is great, but you can buy 3 or even 4 TWCS for the same price when you catch the TWCS on sale (the Warthog throttle never goes on sale from what I can tell).

thank you, sir, for giving me additional confidence that i made a good purchase

If u have ever used a more than 8bit-throttle, u will never use an 8bit throttle again. :)

Keep this in mind. Buttons and swicthes are important, but don't forget the resolution of the axes.

not sure i follow. is the one i'm getting 8-bit?

No. Accord Thrustmaster advertisement TWCS is 16 bits, at least for throttle axis. You can check this with JoyTester2 or VKB JoyTester.

CH PRO throttle is that it is 8 bits, what means 256 times less than TWCS - resolution numbers is exponential. CH USB controller is from... "XX century". :)

In practice resolutions above 12 bit in domestic joysticks is just.... "snobbery". ;)

Edited by Sokol1_br

If u have ever used a more than 8bit-throttle, u will never use an 8bit throttle again. :)

Keep this in mind. Buttons and swicthes are important, but don't forget the resolution of the axes.

Resolution of axes it doesn't anything alone. It must be combined with the travel of the grip.

For CH Pro throttle travel, 8 bits are enough IMHO.

:megalol:

The TWCS is far from the “best”, but it is very interesting with plenty of features and a very low cost. I recommend you get some Nyogel 767A to grease up the shaft and either attach the base with screws to a surface or glue at least 500g of weight, as it can move due to its plastic construction. Im on my 2nd now, and I have a warthog as my primary, and after discovering the miracles of Nyogel it is very good. I use the twcs with Elite Dangerous.

Resolution of axes it doesn't anything alone. It must be combined with the travel of the grip.

For CH Pro throttle travel, 8 bits are enough IMHO.

Nope, if I have a travel of 300m... I still have 256 steps. And that is in some airplanes too less.

For the first 5% travel u just have 12 steps. Dont mind how long the travel is.

In the aircraft, you can really see the steps it moves from an 8-bit throttle. If u have 10-16 bits, the handle moves smooth as silk and u can make very tiny corrections, which you can NEVER achieve with an 8-bit throttle. You just can't.

Fly with an highres throttle and u never want an 8-bit back. Believe me. Dot. :)

Edited by Vannipo

Options - from $90 to ~$500

Thrustmaster TWCS

CH PRO Throttle

Thrutstmaster Warthog throttle (sold standalone).

Virpil (VPC) throttle

GVL224 custom throttles

Kanttorin throttle console

The "best" is relative, depends on preferred type of planes...

That Kanttorin throttle console looks incredible.:thumbup:

Thanks for the info. Just placed an order for it.

Believe me. Dot. :)

Not likely . Not now . Not ever , so long as you continue to make specious arguments . 12" throttle travel ? Get real ! The CH pro throttle has 2" of travel . Divide 50mm by 256 .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Not likely . Not now . Not ever , so long as you continue to make specious arguments . 12" throttle travel ? Get real ! The CH pro throttle has 2" of travel . Divide 50mm by 256 .

12" throttle travel? Noone talked about that. I talked about 12 STEPS. Not inches. No length. U really have to read and understand exactly.

Just for u again to understand:

It doesnt matter, how long the travel is.

If u have only 256 steps, u have 12 steps (256 / 20) in the first 5% travel. And this is too less. In some machines you need a fine ajustment in these 5% travel. And with 8-bit u are too rough. Fly with an 8-bit throttle. No problem. U have to know. I know the HUGE difference. You may not. But its ok for me. Take this hint or just let it be.

There must be a reason, why there are 16-bit throttles and clutches and gas pedals and brake pedals. U don't think so? Then keep your 8-bit and think, this one is fine enough :thumbup:

Dont buy e.g. a CH-Throttle. Only buy throttles with a higher resolution is my hint.

Edited by Vannipo

On the subject of resolution:

No controller is currently using 16 Bit resolution, the marketing divisions are simply lying to you. The math doesnt add up. 16 Bit real resolution at the sampling rates possible would make your standard 8 Bit Throttle seem like a swiss clock.

For reference:

http://www.hempstick.org/download/articles/OnResolution.pdf

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

12" U really have to read and understand exactly.

Perhaps so . I did misread "300m" as 300mm. Thus the 12" .

But as in every other thread where you have gone out of your way to trash CH , you don't seem to understand the relationship of bits vs travel . Increments are less than 1/128th of an inch on the Pro throttle !

It matters not to me what Hotas anyone chooses . But i would not deny them the ability to make an informed choice .

Your jihad vis CH is doing some a disservice . Like any other Hotas , it offers advantages and disadvantages .

I could list the pros and cons if you wish . But your specious campaign seeks to discourage people for whom it may be the best choice-and for what reason i cannot fathom .

Edited by Svsmokey

Nono,

I just said, that a guy, who is asking for a good throttle, has to keep the resolution in mind, cause it - in my opinion (I recognized a difference) - matters a lot. That was my first post.

Nothing more or less. It's ok for me, if u have ur opinion. My opinion comes out of my experience with both systems.

That concerns sticks more, but also throttles.

And no, I am not against CH Products. No way. They are very precise. I am complaining about 8-bit axes. And CH Products just use it.

This "Increments are less than 1/128th of an inch (0.019mm) on the Pro throttle" sounds too optimist.

Thing is that throttle grip movement (50mm) need turn the pot inside throttle - PRO throttle don't use a sliding pot, but a rotary pot, turned be a slotted lever connected to throttle "drawer" mechanism:

technology_076a_002.jpg

This pot have an "effective electric angle" of ~30º (like most "joystick pot"), outside of this range are no reading (I check this with multimeter).

In the best scenery possible the movement (50mm) of the slotted lever connected to throttle "drawer" mechanism are able to turn this pot 30º - the "effective electric angle" where happen the reading of 0 to 5 volts used as reference by controller ADC.

Then before translated the ADC resolution for distance is need translate for angle.

I don't did the math (of On Resolution document linked above) but think that minimal increments on 8 bits resolution ADC happens in turn movements between 0.1 - 0.5 mm. It's too little? Is too much? :dunno:

But think, since early 2000's all joystick manufacturers move from 8 to 10/12 or more bits of resolution in their ADC controllers, they are all wrong and only CH and their "1999" ADC circuit wright? :huh:

All this people that move for VKB, VPC controllers are just "bragging" on how good was this move? OK that people need justify - for themselves, their expensive new "toys". :joystick: :D

Good "constructive quality" (of CH's) not necessarily translate in good "electronic quality" (are obsolete - like all 1999 things). :P

More is always better-in marketing . I used to say of motorcycles that they are designed by marketers and lawyers as well as engineers . I am unsure of how to respond to your angle argument absent specific numbers . You never stated how much "lost" travel vs angular displacement exists , for one . I fear the language barrier limits my understanding as well . I know of your work regarding CH mods , (and have subscribed to the thread in which you speak of them) so i feel you know what you are doing , i do , however , disagree with your "1999" characterization . Not spending resources on needless development allows a company to manufacture a better product for less money , and newer isn't always better . Quite the reverse , in an era of planned obsolescence , throwaway culture , market-and-lawyer-driven-engineering and in many cases , offshore manufacturing . My favorite bike of all time ? 1973 Norton Commando . My second favorite ? My 2007 SV650 streetfighter , heavily modified .

Electronics since 1999 better ? Certainly . But WHY do we need more axis bits now than in 1999 , and WHY is this discussion overiding any consideration of the merits of building a solid , quality product that will outlast by many years

Any 10 or 12 bit controller not costing twice as much .

Edited by Svsmokey