HOTAS of Choice

If you had all the flight sticks and throttles lined up for your simulating needs, what would be your most preferred hotas?:joystick:

DCS status:

Case:NZXT S340 Mid Tower;Motherboard:MSi 970 Gaming DDR3 ATX;CPU:AMD FX-8350 8-Core Unlocked with Hyper 212 Evo heatsink;Memory:Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3;Hard Drive:Samsung 640GB;SSD: Crucial 256GB;Sound:Asus Xonar DGX; Power: EVGA 600W B1 80+;OS:Windows 10 64-bit; GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB 256-bit

Modules: Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D, Combined Arms, Black Shark 3, A-10C/2, WW2 Assets, F/A-18C, F-16C Viper, AH-64D, Supercarrier, China Assets Pack

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Sinai

i like the 16000 thrustmaster HOTAS I'm using big time, I modify button 4 on the thumb of the stick, and buttons 2 and 11 of the throttle, the result is 8 different 8 way hats, 8 two wayhats, and if you are familiar with music and cable networking or chaining, this set up basically affords you three different "bays" for 1 way buttons. And this is all on the hands, not using any of those base buttons on the stick.

My preferred hotass.

:thumbup:

My preferred currently is my Warthog setup ( with 7.5cm extension) and MFG Crosswind Pedals.

I have the VKB Gunfighter on order, and will get their new Modern Grip design when it comes available in a couple of months, so it may well replace at least my Warthog joystick.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My preferred hotass.

d7848.jpg

:smilewink: Never knew Playboy was in the market for hotas lol.

Edited by Gault05

DCS status:

Case:NZXT S340 Mid Tower;Motherboard:MSi 970 Gaming DDR3 ATX;CPU:AMD FX-8350 8-Core Unlocked with Hyper 212 Evo heatsink;Memory:Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3;Hard Drive:Samsung 640GB;SSD: Crucial 256GB;Sound:Asus Xonar DGX; Power: EVGA 600W B1 80+;OS:Windows 10 64-bit; GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB 256-bit

Modules: Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D, Combined Arms, Black Shark 3, A-10C/2, WW2 Assets, F/A-18C, F-16C Viper, AH-64D, Supercarrier, China Assets Pack

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Sinai

Depends on what I am flying. I am in the process of creating adapter plates to allow my existing, custom made, Warthog mount to accept my other sticks.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I first flew DCS Ka-50 and A-10C with the x52 pro. Then the A-10C and FC3/F-15 with the warthog.

I'm excited by VKB's modern stick and would love to see a twin throttle set from them. I'm also waiting on hegykc's f-18c stuff but maybe not as a general stick.

I honestly loved the x52 until I upgraded, and the warthog was the best I've had. I'd take either again if I had to, the VKB MCG at the moment. Maybe the mfg crosswind instead of my saitek pedals.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

Warthog Grip

anything else BRD if you can afford it and can wait a few weeks/months maybe.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Currently I have a Thrustmaster Cougar, so my logical choice for a Hotas change should be the TM Warthog, but I feel that I would miss the Foxy programming a lot ... tried the Target software and found it quite hard to learn.

However, I would love to get a good pair of rudders ... probably will purchase that first, rather than trade up my Hotas :)

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I blame the developers of flight sims, ED included, for the charred holes in my pockets. And the player base for having cool pictures of all their setups.

My list of products since jumping into the genre-

Saitek X52 Pro - tried to take the throttle unit apart to clean pots and plastic came with the screws - no longer functioning.. owned maybe 2-3 years and didn't use very often.

Saitek Proflight rudder pedals - somehow managed to snap the right pedal off. (I think I stretched one night with my feet in them..oops)

TrackIR 5 - I've purchased 2 of their trackclip pro's, both broke, had 2 sent to me for free, both broke. Got a Delanclip and it never sat right on the surface of my not so flat headsets, so I ended up with a Luke clip.

TM Warthog - slight stiction out of the box. But love the amount of buttons - It's my go to for the a-10c, and any of the FC3 jets and Falcon BMS. But I needed pedals so in the meantime - for helos and propplanes I bought

-Logitech Extreme 3d Pro - an excellent joystick that you probably won't feel bad if the need to replace it arises because its cheap as heck. 9/10 recommended

MFG Crosswinds - the waiting list for which caused my need for the logitech stick... but so very worth it in the long run. Looking at Milan's website it seems he produces them faster these days. 10/10 recommended. Very smooth.. very solid construction.. velcro or mounting solution recommended. Can be tipped if only one foot.

Acer Predator x34 - while three screens would've given more screen surface, I decided for a single 34" screen at 3440x1440 and am not displeased with the decision. My system seems to handle this resolution rather well, and takes advantage of the higher refresh rates. It also has better picture and color quality than my older 27" Asus monitor @1080p.

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 - bought a used one off Ebay with obvious signs of use..but still working strong.. completely replaced the Logitech.. I use it with all wwI, wwII, and helo simming. My ability to fly the Ka-50 increased rather dramatically with this stick. I purchased a second one of these listed as unused, and seemed to be the case when I got it. It's in the closet "Just in case" as these have been out of production for a very long time. As a result I've not been flying jets and the a-10c as often ( I still use the hog for that)

Obutto R3volution - man..did this hurt the wallet. it's currently being shipped. Switching from hog to msffb2, and having access to my keyboard, mouse, g13 Is just NOT working for me with my desk. I Built a makeshift stick/throttle/pedal mount out of plywood and some ikea tables but it's not very ergonomic and my body has taken enough abuse to notice. I got the warthog mount and the non warthog stick/throttle mount adapter to give myself more options for keeping both sticks I use nearby for when I feel like switching them out without having to put them on the floor, or maybe even build a place to store them on a nearby wall by just dropping them in a tube. This is going to replace my desk entirely and take less space.

You'd think I'd be done.. but.. I still have a couple items I'd like to add..such as a touchscreen for cockpit displays and functions..and I'm kind of drooling over the thought of adapting my warthog stick to a VKB Gunfighter base, as that cam design seems like it would have a beautiful feel, at the same time however I may just mod one of my msffb2's to have a grip similar to the f-16/a-10c and the stick part of the hog will gather dust. I also wouldn't mind picking up a CH Throttle quadrant for more axis to bind things too. By this point I hope to be done sinking money into flight sim peripherals 0.o

Edited by Headwarp
  • Like 1
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

By this point I hope to be done sinking money into flight sim peripherals 0.o

Good luck with that! :lol:

I have purchased about 8 joysticks (including 3 Warthogs, don't ask), two sets of pedals, four different main display upgrades, two complete PC upgrades, lots of odds and ends as well as a Volair Sim Pit.

Then I had to buy a house so that the sim pit could have a room of it's own. :P

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Good luck with that! :lol:

Dear Santa,

Please haz IPAD for use solely as a-10 CDU and a kneeboard. No really that with what I've listed above should cover all my essential simming needs >.< <--trying to convince myself.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Do it & enjoy it while you can !

I have more than a handful of kids meanwhile, #6 due in September ;)

Thing is, my hobbyroom will become a Babyroom soon and Bit has to find a new place in da house...I just ask myself WHERE ?????

With all that gear and 27" ( lucky I dont sport a 40" or such ), the chair, my table is 170x120cm...waahaaaaa

Still, Kids over Gold !!

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Do it & enjoy it while you can !

I have more than a handful of kids meanwhile, #6 due in September ;)

Thing is, my hobbyroom will become a Babyroom soon and Bit has to find a new place in da house...I just ask myself WHERE ?????

With all that gear and 27" ( lucky I dont sport a 40" or such ), the chair, my table is 170x120cm...waahaaaaa

Still, Kids over Gold !!

Keep it in storage.. introduce the kids to the hobby when they come of appropriate age. Build them a simpit too! lol. J//k. Good luck with your bundles of joy man.

Spoiler

I started 15-20 years ago with a MS FFB 2. Eventually I bought an X45 and used the throttle in conjunction with the FFB2. I jumped way ahead way later down the road into the Warthog. I truly do miss my FFB but if you're thinking of moving into a hotas and going to spend a couple of hundred on a X52 or something...you may as well save a little more and go with the warthog. You won't regret it.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

I think this thread has gone a little off topic, but I don't mind indulging in answering to what it was and what it has become.

My current setup is a Logitech 3D Pro, Saitek X55 throttle, and VKB rudder pedals.

I'm excited by VKB's modern stick and would love to see a twin throttle set from them.

+1 to this. From what I can tell the throttle they're working on is going to be a single throttle setup. But since it is still in development, I guess I can't say with any certainty. I am however planning on buying the Gunfighter base and MCG in the near future, though. If I don't find that I like the throttle VKB are working on, I'll probably upgrade to the WH throttle.

I don't understand how they can sell that stick for $99, while its closest competitor (MT-50) sells for €159,-. Call me sceptical about that VKB grip.

I'm currently using a TM Hotas X, which was fine as an introduction to see if flight sims were for me. In all other regards, it's a piece of crap. A VPC joystick and throttle, coupled with an MFG Crosswind would be perfect for my needs.

Having said that, I blew my upgrade budget this year on a 4k screen, and next year it's going to a Volta GPU, so I'm not in the market until Late 2018/2019.

@cichlidfan: Mate, why not just a single joystick, throttle and pedal combo. Damn :D

For years I used the whole CH setup. Then I switched to a Cougar for F4. It was ok, but had minor problems.

Coming back to combat sims I decided I wanted to learn the A-10C, so I bought the TM Warthog. I'm more than happy with it. It's as smooth as butter with no stiction. I also think the spring pressure is just right. No need for any extensions. For those who think it's too stiff? You need to hit the gym.

I use the CH pedals, because they never gave me any trouble in the past. Always smooth and I used one set for 8 years and finally gave them to a buddy and I believe he still uses them after a few years. Some complain they're too close together. I don't find that a problem and wear size 13 boots.

Buzz

Honestly? I don't really care too much about having a twin throttle. I'd love it but the only time it matters is engine damage. More important, I think, is possible controls attached. The more I can put on the hotas the better..

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill: