DTAC Terrain Development

rockwelder

Cant say I had any FPS hit with the last package (Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5)

Aye, same here. No difference whatsoever and it makes a WORLD of difference in the T-Toad. In the past I used to have my trees forced to medium purely because of the visual aspect from the air. Remarkable the change :thumbup:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice "flying trees" sometimes, but you made a very nice mod ! :thumbup:

trees bug.jpg

I have noticed this error as well without my textures...the forests are made up many trees in a triangular shape ; they place as one object. Sometimes the placement is slightly off thus creating edges that overlap a sharp hill. This creates the flying trees...

I'm pretty sure my textures have nothing to do with this, its ED's forest model.

Hello rockwelder, I see you are on to it which is great!

Do you plan that your new trees have textures of branches instead of entire trees? If yes it will be awesome.

I think having branches textured allows to create with a 4096 or 2048 texture a lot of varied trees , very detailed (one tree could have tens of branches that use same small texture area) and with a smart LOD/MIP it will have little FPS impact. The trees made of 4 triangles are old age by now and are abandoned by almost all game developers as they were good only in a low memory era.

:thumbup:

I may try to model placeable forests as a way to give mission editors a way to control trees that block line of sight...I may attempt it.

EDGE will be doing trees on the fly (Procedural) which will have great detail.

I have noticed this error as well without my textures...the forests are made up many trees in a triangular shape ; they place as one object. Sometimes the placement is slightly off thus creating edges that overlap a sharp hill. This creates the flying trees...

I'm pretty sure my textures have nothing to do with this, its ED's forest model.

Thanks for your explanations, i didn't fly my Blackshark for a (very) long time :) that's probably why i didn't notice it before !

Now i prepare myself for the huey, very great mod, very great work :thumbup:

Thank you !

I may try to model placeable forests as a way to give mission editors a way to control trees that block line of sight...I may attempt it.

EDGE will be doing trees on the fly (Procedural) which will have great detail.

I think you understood that I was referring at forests but I was meaning the individual trees.

Right now we have them like these:

211e3c26e87e1908ae6f9ff.jpg

But it would be nice to have them with more polys but same repeating texture on branches. like these:

30938519.jpg

Obviously a small repeated texture needs to be placed on the trunk. I'm not sure if it will be a severe hit on FPS due to the shadow calculations... maybe if for shadow a simpler old LOD could be used.

Of course this could be possible only if you get access to the 3D model of the trees currently used by game so you could modify them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I think you understood that I was referring at forests but I was meaning the individual trees.

Right now we have them like these:

211e3c26e87e1908ae6f9ff.jpg

But it would be nice to have them with more polys but same repeating texture on branches. like these:

30938519.jpg

Obviously a small repeated texture needs to be placed on the trunk. I'm not sure if it will be a severe hit on FPS due to the shadow calculations... maybe if for shadow a simpler old LOD could be used.

Of course this could be possible only if you get access to the 3D model of the trees currently used by game so you could modify them.

I guess you could always do LODs...Managing the popping in and out might be an issue both visually and performance wise.

I put one of the dds (Summer) in my Temp Textures file. It did nothing

Ok...go the 2nd option in first post of this thread...back up the files described in the first post, then drop the .dds files in, and over write the files contained in each of the corresponding season zip files ...

But before you follow my instructions, first back up , back up , back up!

Yes, but the only solution I see is if someone just uploads the zipped files already modified.

You might want to google "file not found or no read permission".. possibly you don't have write permission or administrator privileges? It really is a simple drag and drop into the zip files.

Edited by rockwelder

Beautiful work Rock, can't wait to fly over those textures. :)

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Wow so you've covered all seasons? can't wait!

Yes, all seasons. Install procedure is exactly the same as the trees. I have a custom noise texture as well. I will place it in an optional folder, as some are already using a custom noise texture. These are 4096x4096 as well...so hope you have some horse power.

After this I'm going after the Shit grass:)

And maybe bundle a unified package.

• Like 1