DTAC Terrain Development

rockwelder

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my computer is ready to test this new DTAC Terrain Development :joystick: :)

Не говорите что мне надо делать и я не скажу куда вам надо идти…

| Asus Z390 | Core i5 9600K | HyperX Fury 32Gb | RTX 2070 | 1TB HDD + Intel Optane memory 32Gb | Thrustmaster F-16C Viper Add-on Grip+TWCS Throttle | Dell WMR | Oculus Quest 2 |

:thumbup: Holy %#?!

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz 32GB DDR3

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Samsung 55" JS8000 SUHD 4K

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Custom Akers-Barnes, MkI eyeball.

Fantastic work Mike. Do you want to remap the all Caucaso texture ?

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 
HOTAS: TM Warthog - Cougar \ HP Reverb G2 \ WinWing Panels

Tally: I see the degenerate commie who wants to ruin our day.

Fantastic work Mike. Do you want to remap the all Caucaso texture ?

The entire set?...at the moment I am doing the best bang for the buck textures. I may take a stab at a greater portion of the textures that make up the terrain..

Edited by rockwelder
  • Like 1

dtacp.jpg

Well...dang. I think maybe I can wait a bit on EDGE after all.

Two questions:

- Are you doing the mountains, too? I think that's one of the least convincing textures at the moment. Even some phony shadows would do wonders for them.

- Are the stock trees also usually just little "X"s from directly above? I know they've got a "top down" aspect but checking back with the stock textures now I can't remember if it was hardly used anyway or if I've somehow screwed them up. If I never noticed enough to even recall, it's not a big deal, but at the moment I can't unsee it. Like when you notice your own breathing.

Presumably it's omitted with these new trees to save FPS and because normally a cockpit is preventing you from looking directly down at them anyway, but I just wanted to be certain.

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk

Well...dang. I think maybe I can wait a bit on EDGE after all.

Two questions:

- Are you doing the mountains, too? I think that's one of the least convincing textures at the moment. Even some phony shadows would do wonders for them.

- Are the stock trees also usually just little "X"s from directly above? I know they've got a "top down" aspect but checking back with the stock textures now I can't remember if it was hardly used anyway or if I've somehow screwed them up. If I never noticed enough to even recall, it's not a big deal, but at the moment I can't unsee it. Like when you notice your own breathing.

Presumably it's omitted with these new trees to save FPS and because normally a cockpit is preventing you from looking directly down at them anyway, but I just wanted to be certain.

1. Mountain textures as in the snow tops?

2. Yes they are X' s...some have a top down plane. The top down tree texture simply looked bad any way so I simply refused to use the slots...On my new trees (WIP not released) this allowed me to create a greater variety of trees with these spots while keeping to one texture file. So instead of having 8 trees with symmetrical uglyness I could make 8 trees with no symmetrical uglyness.

I am adopting the 4096 x 4096 res for clarity, but this may trade a few FPS..

Edited by rockwelder
  • Like 1

Yep I've already experienced low FPS with the 4096 textures already, my guess is that my videocard gets low on VRAM since it's only a 1GB 6850 - i'm not giving up though, i'm gonna get me a 7850 2gb in the near future (these textures are so good it's worth it!)

edit: I guess I could try turning down the trees visibility from 10000 to 7000 or so, less trees drawn means less VRAM used :)

edit 2: reducing trees to 8000 made a HUGE difference, now I can continue to use your textures, i'm happy :)

(P.S this is all with 1920x1080 resolution and 2xMSAA (adaptive AA enabled in ATI Tray Tools)

Edited by Mustang

Yep I've already experienced low FPS with the 4096 textures already, my guess is that my videocard gets low on VRAM since it's only a 1GB 6850 - i'm not giving up though, i'm gonna get me a 7850 2gb in the near future (these textures are so good it's worth it!)

edit: I guess I could try turning down the trees visibility from 10000 to 7000 or so, less trees drawn means less VRAM used :)

edit 2: reducing trees to 8000 made a HUGE difference, now I can continue to use your textures, i'm happy :)

(P.S this is all with 1920x1080 resolution and 2xMSAA (adaptive AA enabled in ATI Tray Tools)

The only option left is to half res to 2048 stock size...but you give up the crispness...Depends on where you are: in a fast mover or on the ground.

Edited by rockwelder

Yeah, more or less. Right now the mountains look kinda like huge piles of road slush as opposed to the real Caucasus mountains with all their little ripples and crags.

2. Yes they are X' s...some have a top down plane. The top down tree texture simply looked bad any way so I simply refused to use the slots...On my new trees (WIP not released) this allowed me to create a greater variety of trees with these spots while keeping to one texture file. So instead of having 8 trees with symmetrical uglyness I could make 8 trees with no symmetrical uglyness.

OK, that's a relief. So you're saying those eight spots on the bottom half that represented the trees from the top will now (essentially) be eight more trees seen from the side?

Cool, looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk

On my new trees (WIP not released) this allowed me to create a greater variety of trees with these spots while keeping to one texture file. So instead of having 8 trees with symmetrical uglyness I could make 8 trees with no symmetrical uglyness.

Hello rockwelder, I see you are on to it which is great!

Do you plan that your new trees have textures of branches instead of entire trees? If yes it will be awesome.

I think having branches textured allows to create with a 4096 or 2048 texture a lot of varied trees , very detailed (one tree could have tens of branches that use same small texture area) and with a smart LOD/MIP it will have little FPS impact. The trees made of 4 triangles are old age by now and are abandoned by almost all game developers as they were good only in a low memory era.

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

i don't succed to install it ...

I copy the file x:/DTAC2013 v2Hires/summer/r_for.tga.dds in D:/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/Bazar/Temp Textures/

I launch the game, (i also tried to launch it as admin) but nothing change in the game (i checked to be in summer).

am i doing wrong ?

edit : i also tried to launch a mission in winter, with the summer file trees, and there are just default winter trees...

Edited by Lib

Lib

I sent this way files "r_for.tga.dds"! to archives

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\vfstextures.

LandTexturesAutumnOther.zip

LandTexturesSpringOther.zip

LandTexturesSummerOther.zip

LandTexturesWinterOther.zip

All works good :)

Не говорите что мне надо делать и я не скажу куда вам надо идти…

| Asus Z390 | Core i5 9600K | HyperX Fury 32Gb | RTX 2070 | 1TB HDD + Intel Optane memory 32Gb | Thrustmaster F-16C Viper Add-on Grip+TWCS Throttle | Dell WMR | Oculus Quest 2 |