HOTAS hell! - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Ptroinks

Default HOTAS hell!

After using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (what a name...) and keyboard commands to fly my A-10 for a couple of weeks, I decided to get TrackIR and a HOTAS. The TrackIR is fantastic, but takes some getting used to. The HOTAS I ended up with, was the Saitek X-65F. I was very sceptical about a stick that doesn't move, but I gave it a shot.

I haven't used it very long, but I just can't manage to fly and fight properly with it. I've tweaked force settings, deadzones and curves, but for me, maneuvering my A-10 and fighting at the same time just doesn't work with this stick, so I'm going to send it back.

But what about my alternativees? There's the HOTAS Warthog, of course, but I could really use some advice from HOTAS Warthog owners. It does look very, very big to be used on a desktop. If I was building a home pit, I would buy it, no question about it! But as I have to put it on a desk, I'm mainly thinking about the height of the stick. Would you consider it as mainly a "home pit stick" or something that's easy to use on a desktop?

The other choice would be the X-52 Pro. For those of you who use it, could you provide me with a few pros and cons (that goes for Warthog users, as well )? I had an X-45 a couple of years ago, and generally, I liked it (except for the base plate friction, which made smooth, small stick inputs very hard after a while).

I'll admit that I'm very picky when it comes to choosing joysticks, and maybe I'll never be satisfied, but right now, I just feel like I need some help deciding what to get...
Ptroinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
MTFDarkEagle
Veteran

You wont be dissapointed with the tm warthog
You can look up the sizes of the thing, and then decide whether it fits or not. I use it sometimes on my desk, but most of the time between my legs - on my seat.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Ptroinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFDarkEagle View Post
I use it sometimes on my desk, but most of the time between my legs - on my seat.
You have a custom seat?
Old 03-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Shadow.D.

I use the TM Warthog on my desk without a problem (left and right of keyboard), wouldnt trade it for the world. Love this HOTAS sooo much.
Shadow.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Ptroinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow.D. View Post
I use the TM Warthog on my desk without a problem (left and right of keyboard), wouldnt trade it for the world. Love this HOTAS sooo much.
Ahh, that's very good news! I guess I'll order one . I have to order something else, anyway. The X-65 is useless, except for the throttle...
Old 03-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
=ScE=Black1

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+chair&x=0&y=0

I use the TM Hog Hotas and it is hands down the best Hotas I have ever used, plug and play for DCS A10c and the real deal. I also have the playseat flight chair on the left of the link I posted, but, you can also get the swivel desktop chair to the right and your Hotas fits very nicely on either one and is a great addition to your flight simming fun. I suppose it all depends on how much you want to spend and the space you have really.
=ScE=Black1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
RogueRunner

The X65 takes some getting used to but once you do I have not had a more precise stick (including the Warthog) than the X65. You just think the manoeuvre and it happens exactly like you wanted to.

There's two reasons why mine is in the cupboard right now.

a) I used to let my palm rest on the palm rest on the stick while flying straight and level. This will cause an input on the 65F and thus you consciously need to not do this.

b) I have a Warthog as well and the custom integration with DCS A10 trumps the X65F at this stage.
RogueRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
MTFDarkEagle
Veteran

Negative on the custom seat. Just your standard "directors-seat".

Have a look here for a picture of my setup:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...9&postcount=17
Old 03-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
raptorman0

I had an x-52 and found it a bit soft. I know have a Warthog and it's excellent, I swear it improved my flying. It is big but I do not find that a problem.
raptorman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Ptroinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRunner View Post
The X65 takes some getting used to but once you do I have not had a more precise stick (including the Warthog) than the X65. You just think the manoeuvre and it happens exactly like you wanted to.
Yes, it is a very precise stick, I must agree on that. One of my problems is that whenever I have to use my right thumb to push a button or hat switch, I can't maneuver because I lose "pressure" on that side of the stick.

If only Saitek had made the X65 with a "regular" moving stick... That would be a VERY good product...

Edit: Oh, I didn't realize there was an input-output forum here. Sorry for that...

Last edited by Ptroinks; 03-26-2011 at 04:42 PM.