Collective lever break

takamba

In real life, the collective break must be deactivated to move the lever up and down.

How is that simulated in the game? Do I have to press "F" all the time I want to move the collective lever?

Or is it like the parking break, once deactivated, it is allways deactivated?

I will get a russian version of DCS next week, now I am just learning as much as I can :smilewink:

DCS Rafale - please :thumbup:

In real life, the collective break must be deactivated to move the lever up and down.

How is that simulated in the game? Do I have to press "F" all the time I want to move the collective lever?

Or is it like the parking break, once deactivated, it is allways deactivated?

I will get a russian version of DCS next week, now I am just learning as much as I can :smilewink:

I wondered this myself too. I've got about 10hrs in the sim so far and I haven't use it once so I certainly don't press F everytime I use the collective, so I have no idea how it's modelled :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Intel E6750 @3.2Ghz | 2GB OCZ PC2-6400 RAM | XFX 680i SLI | BFG GTX260 216SP | Western Digital 3200AAKS 320GB SATA II HDD |

| Seagate 320GB 16MB SATA II HDD | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Soundcard | Samsung 245B 24" TFT Monitor |

| Logitech Z-5400 Digital THX 5.1 speakers | Logitech G15 | Logitech MX1000 | TM Cougar #27955 | TrackIR 3 Pro

no collective trim?

No-

The collective needs steady readjustment every time you change your flightpath.

And there are too many factors to calculate: Pitch,Yaw,Turn...Atmospheric changes (wind).

Keep in mind that If you have more than 2 factors to calculate, chaos-theory

steps in and says :"HELLO!".

And giving the collective a new "centre"(or however you want call it) every time you trim would be too confusing.

Edited by urze

The collective brake does two things, just like the trimmer button.

First, it releases pressure on the collective so that it is easier to move. I don't know what the Ka-50 uses, on the Mi-17 it's hydraulic pressure.

Second, just like the trim button, when you hold the brake lever (releasing the pressure and making it easy to move), you are interrupting the altitude channel of the autopilot, and when you release it, you are setting a new altitude for the autopilot to hold (either radar or barometric, depending on another switch setting).

If you do not have the altitude channel on, then holding and releasing the brake would only relieve pressure on the collective to make it easy to move around. Since I don't know anyone with a force feedback collective that can replicate that effect, the only real use for the collective brake is to set a new altitude for the autopilot when the altitude channel is engaged.

For the ultimate in realism, you would make most collective adjustments by holding the brake lever, adjusting collective, and then releasing the brake lever, similar to how you use the trimmer button on the cyclic.

Thanks for your answer, AlphaOneSix!

Is this exactly how it is simulated in the game?

In the chapter about the autopilot is nothing written to press and release the collective break (F) every time I want to change the altitude for the autopilot.

Please correct if I am wrong.

DCS Rafale - please :thumbup:

In the chapter about the autopilot is nothing written to press and release the collective break (F) every time I want to change the altitude for the autopilot.

See manual p. 2-10 and 6-8:

9. Collective brake - Assign altitude lever [F]. This lever serves two functions:

• Press this lever to disengage the collective stick brake before moving the stick. The brake is needed to prevent the stick from moving due to vibration or casual touch.
  • Once the brake has been released and a signal is sent to the navigation system, the lever can be used to assign a new altitude when using the altitude hold flight mode.

The barometric altitude hold mode can be engaged when radar altitude is above 50 m. To change your altitude when in altitude hold mode, press the collective brake lever; to retain it for the duration of the transition maneuver, release the brake lever. After this, a new altitude hold altitude will be set.

Awesome thanks Acedy! I remember reading something about the use of the brake along with the AP, but I couldn't remember what as I had only glimpsed it briefly.

I'll assign F to one of the buttons on my throttle, will make adjusting AP height much easier than having to disengage alt hold, change height, then reengage alt hold.

Cheers!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Intel E6750 @3.2Ghz | 2GB OCZ PC2-6400 RAM | XFX 680i SLI | BFG GTX260 216SP | Western Digital 3200AAKS 320GB SATA II HDD |

| Seagate 320GB 16MB SATA II HDD | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Soundcard | Samsung 245B 24" TFT Monitor |

| Logitech Z-5400 Digital THX 5.1 speakers | Logitech G15 | Logitech MX1000 | TM Cougar #27955 | TrackIR 3 Pro