VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

169 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

A little update about Huion and Xp-Pen tablets.

After some days of mail back and forth with their (technical) support service, I had to give up with their WinTab driver! It was time to go lower level and completely bypass the Windows driver provided.

Lucky me both brands (and others) are based on the same electronics so a single custom driver will do the magic.

The custom driver will not allow to use the tablet outside VRK, but I guess the most of us will not need to. In that case a quick switch between the original and the custom is possible via Device Manager.

Today I was able to fully use my Huion and with some polish and refactoring I'm pretty sure that both brands will be usable with VRK.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

A little update about Huion and Xp-Pen tablets.

After some days of mail back and forth with their (technical) support service, I had to give up with their WinTab driver! It was time to go lower level and completely bypass the Windows driver provided.

Lucky me both brands (and others) are based on the same electronics so a single custom driver will do the magic.

The custom driver will not allow to use the tablet outside VRK, but I guess the most of us will not need to. In that case a quick switch between the original and the custom is possible via Device Manager.

Today I was able to fully use my Huion and with some polish and refactoring I'm pretty sure that both brands will be usable with VRK.

Sent using Tapatalk

MSI Z170X-Gaming 5, Intel 6700K, 32G RAM, RTX2080ti, Samsung SSD gaming drive, Samsung SSD System drive, RIFT CV1, TM Warthog Hotas, TPR peddles, Gamtrix Jetseat

I looked at this it looks like it would be great but, the linked download page fro page 1 of the forum is in Italian. Is there an English page

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

How does one access pages in a PDF doc?

Pages can be switched in many ways.

1. Using a tablet, when page is not zoomed, you can swipe up and down (also left and right)

2. Using a pen tablet with tablet buttons or gestures

3. Also with mouse scroller, but this is useless in DCS

So what is best way to go? And it should be not too expensive.

If you are starting from scratch, using a pen tablet is the cheapest way. Huion and Xp-Pen are around 40-60 euros. The custom driver is complete and I plan to release it this week.

Wacom are more expensive.

The choice on these three brands depends on you and how do you intend to use the tablet. Strapped on the leg the H950S (Huion) is big but still wearable (don't go for anything larger), smaller ones like G640S (XP-PEN) or Intuos S (Wacom) are more ergonomic, but writing is slightly trickier due to reduced active surface.

I looked at this it looks like it would be great but, the linked download page fro page 1 of the forum is in Italian. Is there an English page

Just click on the blue icon and VRK will download.

attachment.php?attachmentid=217039&stc=1&d=1568192204

capture.png.8774809868d67c84419e6dbc7e632312.png

Edited by AMVI_Rider

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

If you are starting from scratch, using a pen tablet is the cheapest way. Huion and Xp-Pen are around 40-60 euros. The custom driver is complete and I plan to release it this week.

Wacom are more expensive.

Wow...thanks :-) This means, the tab input is used directly in your app, instead of being a mouse emulation? So no interference with the DCS mouse grab?

German Squadron "Serious Uglies"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Skyfire

Intel 10700K | SSD for system and DCS | 32 Gb RAM | Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 | HP Reverb G2

Wow...thanks :-) This means, the tab input is used directly in your app, instead of being a mouse emulation? So no interference with the DCS mouse grab?

Exactly, I'm completely bypassing company driver and Windows HID (for those who know what I'm talking about).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

@AMVI_Rider - seriously thinking about using your software but was curious about the following -

1. Do you only support the three models you outlined above? Or can other XP-Pen and WACOM devices be used? Thinking about the smaller versions...

2. How do I attach the pen tab to my leg?

3. How do I find the actual pen in VR? I don't want to constantly loose it while flying.

4. Will this work in the FA-18 module in DCS?

5. I think one can organize multiple KBs into sections, correct? How well does this work?

The software looks amazing BTW.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

@AMVI_Rider - seriously thinking about using your software but was curious about the following -

1. Do you only support the three models you outlined above? Or can other XP-Pen and WACOM devices be used? Thinking about the smaller versions...

2. How do I attach the pen tab to my leg?

3. How do I find the actual pen in VR? I don't want to constantly loose it while flying.

4. Will this work in the FA-18 module in DCS?

5. I think one can organize multiple KBs into sections, correct? How well does this work?

The software looks amazing BTW.

Thank you!

1. The support is intended "per brand". There are some differences between devices BTW. Some are already covered in VRK, others may not work and other partially.

I can't be sure until we test and that's where I need your help. I will support any device of the listed brands as soon as someone will test it and help me fixing.

Anyway to summarize:

Wacom: all devices supported via WinTab mode (Intuos S tested). No reason to think that other models will have problems.

Huion: H950P supported and tested via Custom Driver. Other models may require a driver upgrade. I'm really interested in the H640P.

XP-Pen: many of their device are already supported by the Custom Driver. G640S will be fully tested by the driver release date.

My personal list of usable devices is:

Wacom Intuos S - TESTED

Huion H640P

XP-Pen G640S - IN PROGRESS

Wacom Intuos M

Huion H950P - TESTED

IMHO smaller or larger devices are poorly usable.

2. I use an aluminium kneeboard like:

s-l300.jpg

You can also use glue some elastic band with stretch to the tablet. I guess that there are many other options out there.

3. I use a pen loop attached to the stick base. The loop should be of large size (you may also build your own with an elastic band).

Learning from real life you can use a pilot pen loop like:

https://www.flyboys.com/fb1062.html

Or use small magnets: glue one to the pen and another one where you want the pan to stay.

Sometimes I put the pen between my leg and the chair.

This final choice depends on your "cockpit" design.

4. It already works with any DCS module. Some of my squadron mates are using it with the Hornet too.

5. Yes there are tabs on the left side. In the "standalone demonstration" video you'll see me switching from charts to notes to 9-line form. Switching tabs is done either by clicking with the pen on the tab name or assigning buttons to the tablet

Edited by AMVI_Rider

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

The idea is that, in the future, you will be able to navigate the documents with the VR controllers, but in my opinion this will take out the 90% of the purpose of the tool.

This is a low priority for VRK because there are many other solutions that are already available like general purpose VR overlays and the DCS kneeboard itself.

I'm pushing for the additional HW becuase it adds so much to the experience that it is worth the price.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Theoretically speaking it is possible to use DirectInput to share keyboard, mouse and hotas controls with DCS without disturbing the flight controls. This will reduce the number of keys/buttons,hats available on the controllers.

It's long time I don't play with this thing + DCS and something may have changed. Anyway, other tools do the same thing so it is still feasible.

The minimum amount of "buttons" required are 4 (page up/down and tab up/down), but it grows to 10 to support zoom & pan.

Anyway, this can easily enter in the development slot of the VR Controller.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Huion: H950P supported and tested via Custom Driver. Other models may require a driver upgrade. I'm really interested in the H640P.

Ha! - Should be in the mail by tomorrow. I'd be happy if I could help. So if you need assistance in testing, just let me know.

German Squadron "Serious Uglies"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Skyfire

Intel 10700K | SSD for system and DCS | 32 Gb RAM | Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 | HP Reverb G2

Ha! - Should be in the mail by tomorrow. I'd be happy if I could help. So if you need assistance in testing, just let me know.

You (and anybody else interested in the tool) may join the brand new Discord server

https://discord.gg/mxqSSa4

I created a support channel for testing and technical support

If you know a little about USB, I need the USB Product ID of your device.

If not you can open a Windows Command Prompt and type:

wmic path CIM_LogicalDevice where "DeviceID like 'USB\\VID_256C%'" get /value

It will output a list of properties. I'm interested in the DeviceID.

As soon as I have it I can build the driver and we can start testing to H640P ;)

Edited by AMVI_Rider

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

OK I got this I found my old surface 3 pro got a new styles pen so Who will help an old fart get this up and running. I am to computers what oil is to water. I don't see how the surface will show on DCS running on a desktop

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb