NVG Mod

My EYE_SIZE has the value float2(0.24107f, 1.0f). This derives from the game resolution and my NVG radius of 1 x the screen height. For the mask we need 1080/1920 * 1, because it relates to the viewport resolution. So I defined a variable MASK_SIZE with the value float2(0.5625f, 1.0f) in nvg_mod.hlsl. In the laserbeam.hlsl I changed line 37 to:

float mask = maskNVGEye(UV, EYE_CENTER, MASK_SIZE, float2(1.0f, 1.0f)).g;

The files are attached to this post.

There is still a minor issue here: I use 3 monitors, but not as a normal triple-head setup. Instead I use two small USB monitors that are configured to be both to the right side of my main monitor. So my setup is not symetrically:

[2048x1152][600x800][600x800]

(yes, the small monitors are configured to portrait mode ... nice for the Saitek MFDs)

So, while the MASK_SIZE works great, the mask is off-center for me - because as you said, the mask definition is based on the view port and not on the game resolution. Thus, my EYE_CENTER is at the far left of the virtual monitor to match the center of the view port.

My solution so far is now to implement another new variable MASK_CENTER which I set to just 0.5f for the width ratio. This variable then is used in laserbeam.hlsl instead of EYE_CENTER:

float mask = maskNVGEye(UV, MASK_CENTER, MASK_SIZE, float2(1.0f, 1.0f)).g;

-- Flagrum

For ease of use it would be great if we could enter our monitor setup resolution, goggle height ratio and percent rim thickness as custom variables in nvg_mod.hlsl and have the code calculate the appropriate values for EYE_CENTER, EYE_SIZE, MASK_CENTER, MASK_SIZE, INNER_ and OUTTER_RANGEs. We are working with a computer after all ;) .

No hurry nrgized, good luck with moving. I'd be happy to lend a hand if you supply the ticket :music_whistling: :D.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Sorry to ask you guys but maybe you can help me out.

A friend is coming in about 30 mins and i wanted to show him the A-10.

Unfortunately I changed my monitorsetup and now i have no clue/time to change the config.

If anyone has the time to help me out it would be great!

So here is my config

Centerview: 5900x1080

Gameresolution: 7820x1080

Thank you!:thumbup:

Windows 10 | i7-8700K@5GHz | 2080 Ti | Intel Z370 Chipset | 32GB RAM@1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w. FSSB R3 Mod | Saitek Switch Panel + Radio Panel + Multi Panel + FIP + Flightpanels Software | MFG_Crosswind | TrackIR5 | TM Cougar MFD Pack | Obutto R3volution | 1 x LG38 | GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Your centerview looks like a triplehead setup. You're using bezel margins?

I'm assuming your center monitor has resolution 1920x1080, right?

we need to know how far this monitor is from the upperleft corner of the game resolution. Then I can give you the values for your nvg_mod.hlsl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

Yes that right, bezel is 70, so the center monitor (1920x1080) is 1990 from the left corner

Windows 10 | i7-8700K@5GHz | 2080 Ti | Intel Z370 Chipset | 32GB RAM@1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w. FSSB R3 Mod | Saitek Switch Panel + Radio Panel + Multi Panel + FIP + Flightpanels Software | MFG_Crosswind | TrackIR5 | TM Cougar MFD Pack | Obutto R3volution | 1 x LG38 | GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Then you can try:

Sizes:

const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.14623f,1.05882f);
const float2 MASK_SIZE = float2(0.59559f,1.05882f);

Centers:

const float2 EYE_CENTER = float2(0.37724f,0.55000f);
const float2 MASK_CENTER = float2(0.50000f,0.55000f);

Blurred Rim:

const float INNER_RANGE_MIN = 0.850f;
const float INNER_RANGE_MAX = 0.900f;
const float OUTTER_RANGE_MIN = 0.938f;
const float OUTTER_RANGE_MAX = 1.000f;
const float INNER_RANGE_DIST_MIN = 0.887f;
const float INNER_RANGE_DIST_MAX = 0.938f;

That should give you a round NVG on the center monitor. Check the previous posts on how to use the MASK_SIZE and MASK_CENTER variables if you haven't already.

This should be the approximate result. (The rim will appear more slender in the sim):

layouthammer.png

If someone has access to Matlab, they may use my script to calculate the setup. (See attachment)

NVG_setup.zip

Edited by PhoenixBvo
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO

Questions

Peter

I´m using your mod until now without problems. I had to change a lot of things (like resising the NVG, setting a new mask, a new monitor profile, besides altering some files). Now you say this mod is better than yours. Do I have to uninstall everything I did for your mod, and return to the original configuration, to use this one?

Like I said, I had to resize the NVG because I´m using a 2 monitor configuration (1980 x 1050 as principal and 1680 x 1050 as secondary), and using the original NVG I was having a stretched (oval) vision. Using your instructions I got a rounded NVG. Am I supposed to keep using your NVG (and monitor configs), or should I start from the scrap, and follow the new instructions?

Bottom of line: What do I need to keep from your mod, and what to get rid of, for this new mod?

Edited by Direwolf

Sorry for the delayed reply PhoenixBvo!

We were flying till now :pilotfly: :joystick: and i think we will have a new A-10 flyer soon :)

Thank you, Thank you :thumbup: your settings work perfect!

Sorry for the delayed reply PhoenixBvo!

We were flying till now :pilotfly: :joystick: and i think we will have a new A-10 flyer soon :)

Thank you, Thank you :thumbup: your settings work perfect!

Nice to hear that my setup worked for you. Perhaps we could fly a night mission together sometime? :pilotfly:

In general, It'd be good for this mod if the setup were easier so use and the Matlab script NVG_setup contains at least a start for a setup utility. But of course it should be an independent executable with at least the code lines as output or better automatically updating of the mod files. The input might be sliders and the result could be shown as a graphic like the one in my last post (with realtime update from the slider inputs). Only problem: I currently don't have the time to program it :(. But perhaps there is someone out there who feels like it? :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO

After reading lot of stuff on this forum, i am mostly lost..Can somebody point me to files i need to use to have centered NVG for black shark and A-10c, when i am using 2 monitor setup..

1 st (left monitor is 1920*1080) and this one is used for main game window, and the second one is positioned right (also 1920*1080), and this one i am using for exporting mfds and shkval and stuff.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

No problem. I'm assuming you haven't already installed an NVG mod.

Then just install from the archive attached to this post. That should work out-of-the-box for your setup.

The file to play around with if you like to try different settings is:

DCS World\Bazar\shaders\PostMotionEffect\NightVisionGoogle\nvg_mod.hlsl

The shape affecting parameters are:

Sizes:
const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.29779f,1.05882f);

Centers:
const float2 EYE_CENTER = float2(0.25000f,0.55000f);

Blurred Rim:

nvg_mod_1.0v4b3.zip

Edited by PhoenixBvo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO

Can anyone confirm that the 1.2.3 update hasn't changed the files used by this mod in anyway, so that overwriting the original files with the modded ones won't result in any missing lines that might be important?

Is there anyway to deal with this possibility other than asking here every time there's an update? The only thing I can think of is to make backups of the unmodified files from a confirmed OK version and then compare the backups with the installed files after each update, to see if there's any differences. Even then, if I spot any I'd probably have to come back here and ask what to do about them and I have to do this for every mod I use. Not much fun.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Then just install from the archive attached to this post. That should work out-of-the-box for your setup.

Sizes:

Centers:

Blurred Rim:

I have PeterP´s mod installed on my computer. Do I have to uninstall it? And if so, could you help me to configure my 2 monitor´s set? The main one is 1920 x 1080, and the secundary is 1680 x 1050. Thanx in advance.

Hi all,I am a complete Noob at modding etc and I cant seem to get the mod to work.When you say Make sure to edit DCS World/config/graphics and change PrecompiledEffects mode to "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES" am I deleted the other line,removing the // from the line,I know absolutely nothing about editing in notepad.Any help is appreciated

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Sizes:

Centers:

Blurred Rim:

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

Can anyone confirm that the 1.2.3 update hasn't changed the files used by this mod in anyway, so that overwriting the original files with the modded ones won't result in any missing lines that might be important?

Is there anyway to deal with this possibility other than asking here every time there's an update? The only thing I can think of is to make backups of the unmodified files from a confirmed OK version and then compare the backups with the installed files after each update, to see if there's any differences. Even then, if I spot any I'd probably have to come back here and ask what to do about them and I have to do this for every mod I use. Not much fun.

Can't confirm yet, I haven't had time to install 1.2.3 .

The DCS auto updater will overwrite any modified files which it checks to repair your installation. In order to track your mods, you'll have to use a tool which manages your mods. Probably the easiest to use is JSGME: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607. Especially because of this:

JSGME is an incredible help when it comes to DCS:World autoupdating...When you get notification that a new update it available, don't download just yet. Run JSGME and disable all your mods...THEN download and apply the update. This way, your DCS World directory is restored to default and the update won't mess with any of your mods. After the update you can simply enable your mods again. You can even choose to 'compare files with snapshot' after the update to see exactly which files ED have updated...for futher tinkering purposes ;)

If you're at all serious about using mods in DCS:World, you need JSGME. Plain and simple.

Cheers!

Ebs.

I have PeterP´s mod installed on my computer. Do I have to uninstall it? And if so, could you help me to configure my 2 monitor´s set? The main one is 1920 x 1080, and the secundary is 1680 x 1050. Thanx in advance.

Yes, all you need for an NVG mod is in the zip. PeterP also recommends to use nrgized's mod, so uninstall his and then apply this mod. To setup the mod for your monitor config, we need to know where the topleft corner of your main monitor is in the full game resolution. If your main monitor is the left one it (probably) is (0,0). If it is the right one, it might be (1680,0)...

Hi all,I am a complete Noob at modding etc and I cant seem to get the mod to work.When you say Make sure to edit DCS World/config/graphics and change PrecompiledEffects mode to "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES" am I deleted the other line,removing the // from the line,I know absolutely nothing about editing in notepad.Any help is appreciated

First of all, only use Notepad++ to edit any files. The windows notepad is the worst piece of c**p of an editor out there. It can ruin the encoding of your files.

Depending on the type of file, a block comment symbol in front of a line means it is deactivated (commented out). It will be skipped by the interpreter. The .fx and .hlsl files in this mod use // as the block comment symbol (they are written in the C language). .lua files use the -- as the block comment symbol (they use the lua scripting language). So to activate USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES you remove the comment symbol in front of that line and either you add a comment symbol to the alternative line or you may delete it.

Also check that you have extracted the three files in the right places:

nvd.fx & nvg_mod.hlsl go in DCS World\Bazar\shaders\PostMotionEffect\NightVisionGoogle\

laserbeam.hlsl goes in DCS World\Bazar\shaders\MaterialFactory\.

Edited by PhoenixBvo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO

Thanks Phoenix,that was exactly what I was looking for,worked like a charm!!

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

Yes, all you need for an NVG mod is in the zip. PeterP also recommends to use nrgized's mod, so uninstall his and then apply this mod. To setup the mod for your monitor config, we need to know where the topleft corner of your main monitor is in the full game resolution. If your main monitor is the left one it (probably) is (0,0). If it is the right one, it might be (1680,0)...

My main monitor is the left one for sure. But could you give me the coordinates to have my NVG mask in the right position and size? And if possible, the numbers for the other arguments I need to adjust, to have the best image?

Edited by Direwolf

My main monitor is the left one for sure. But could you give me the coordinates to have my NVG mask in the right position and size? And if possible, the numbers for the other arguments I need to adjust, to have the best image?

Here you are:

Sizes:

const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.31091f,1.03636f);
const float2 MASK_SIZE = float2(0.58295f,1.03636f);

Centers:

const float2 EYE_CENTER = float2(0.26667f,0.55250f);
const float2 MASK_CENTER = float2(0.50000f,0.55250f);

Blurred Rim:

const float INNER_RANGE_MIN = 0.825f;
const float INNER_RANGE_MAX = 0.883f;
const float OUTTER_RANGE_MIN = 0.927f;
const float INNER_RANGE_DIST_MIN = 0.869f;
const float INNER_RANGE_DIST_MAX = 0.927f;

You must decide for yourself if you want a zoomed NVG

const int RENDER_MODE = 1;

or one without zoom

const int RENDER_MODE = 0;

and if you like the lens distortion effect:

const bool ENABLE_RIM_DISTORT = true; // (false to disable) 

The rest (color and noise) you can leave as they are. Have fun!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO

Here you are:

Sizes:

const float2 EYE_SIZE = float2(0.31091f,1.03636f);
const float2 MASK_SIZE = float2(0.58295f,1.03636f);

Centers:

const float2 EYE_CENTER = float2(0.26667f,0.55250f);
const float2 MASK_CENTER = float2(0.50000f,0.55250f);

Blurred Rim:

const float INNER_RANGE_MIN = 0.825f;
const float INNER_RANGE_MAX = 0.883f;
const float OUTTER_RANGE_MIN = 0.927f;
const float INNER_RANGE_DIST_MIN = 0.869f;
const float INNER_RANGE_DIST_MAX = 0.927f;

You must decide for yourself if you want a zoomed NVG

const int RENDER_MODE = 1;

or one without zoom

const int RENDER_MODE = 0;

and if you like the lens distortion effect:

const bool ENABLE_RIM_DISTORT = true; // (false to disable) 

The rest (color and noise) you can leave as they are. Have fun!

Thanks, man. I´ll try to set this new mod this afternoon.

Can't install mod

Hi, PeterP ope you can help. I used this mod in 1.2.2 without issue but hen I did a full re-install to 1.2.3 and tried to install the mod again without luck. I'm using your description above

edit in line #73 >>> //mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

// to >>> //mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

// and in the next line change>>> mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

// add the two missing slashes so it looks like this:

// //mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY"

Altough I can't see a change in line 73. I've tried all sots of combinations without luck. I've attached the cfg file that I edited, perhaps you could take a look and see what's wrong. Thanks

graphics.cfg

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

edit in line #73 >>> //mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

// to >>> //mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

// and in the next line change>>> mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

// add the two missing slashes so it looks like this:

// //mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY"

Should look like this:

Line73: >>> mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

Without the leading slashes!!! So it is activated... (uncommented)

and: >>> //mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY"

Add the missing slashes to deactivate that line (commented)

:smilewink:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Yeah, I've done that as well but without luck. Thanks and I'll keep trying. Actually if I remember rightly when I did it last time I think I just deleted the whole of the second line to get it to work. Still working in 1.2.3 with you then mate?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

OK, sorted. Just replaced all the original files (I keep another install on an external hardrive just in case!) and then redid the install and edited the script