VR Settings on slow old machine

intenseas

Hi guys. So I have not invested in a new machine yet. I know its WAYYY overdue. What graphics settings should I use for now with a GTX 670 and an Oculus Rift?

CORE I5 2500K BOX 3.3GHZ 6MB 1155, EVGA GTX 670 4GB, 8GB CORSAIR (2 X 4GB) DR3 1600 KIT, SSD 240GB INTEL 520 SSDSC2CW240A3 OEM, WIN 7 HOME PREM 64BIT, EXTREME 650W P/S PSU COOLER MASTER, THERMALTAKE V4 NO P/S MID TOWER

I've a gtx-970 with a Rift and it is the bare minimum .. Sorry to tell you this, but you should have upgraded your pc instead of spending on a vr set.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

OP, note Rudel's system specs.

In general, the more pixels you're driving, the more GPU you need. You're driving a fair number of pixels with Oculus products. Because of the pixellated "screen door effect" you get with the pre-S Rifts, you're gonna want to push your supersampling ("pixel density") to fairly high levels, so the low physical pixel count doesn't help you much. You'll be driving plenty of virtual pixels.

But that's not even the main problem. In VR, you have to render each image twice. That computation puts a real strain on the CPU and RAM so you need some real horsepower there.

That said, gen1 Ryzen CPU's are up to the task, and if you get the right motherboard (at least a B350, B450 is better) you have an upgrade path. Why don't you look around and see if you can find a used system -- or maybe even build one new -- like Rudel's. Shouldn't cost a fortune, especially if you think you can live with 16GB RAM for now. (And you can, long as you aren't frequenting busy multiplayer servers)

I don't know that I would dig in too deep in the GPU department right now, a new crop is due out this summer. Maybe worth trying the system upgrade first and see what happens to prices. I expect to crown the 5700XT the new "el cheapo king" before the year is out (surpassing the Vega 56, which is surprisingly good enough)

Don't despair! We live in exciting times! Go for it! Believe me this: DCS in VR is cool af

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder