Gazelle Flight Dynamics... Again.

Focha

I was happy for the release of that Gazelle but unfortunately I'm not using it anymore cause there's NO heli flies like that in real world I mean in everything specially the takeoff and landing, turns etc. With my all respect to it's developer and his awesome REALISTIC texture art. I wish they'll work on this issue soon.

Not sure about the take off and landing, to me apart from scale, weight and features this feels like the same manoeuvre in both the Gazelle and the Huey.

YMMV :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, there is a very simple way to more or less disable the Stability Augmentation System: deactivate the Gyro, along with the AP...

It is the reference the SAS uses and without it you should be down to cyclic and rudder as the only controls.

Do this and you will find out what a fun machine the Gazelle really is.

Forward and backward tumbling, sustained inverted flight, negative 3.6G without damage, hands free full speed and landings without trimming and all without translational lift or torque reaction.

A remarkable machine.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

BTW, there is a very simple way to more or less disable the Stability Augmentation System: deactivate the Gyro, along with the AP...

It is the reference the SAS uses and without it you should be down to cyclic and rudder as the only controls.

P.S. only to be sure. Everybody is aware the Gazelle module has a setting in the menus special options called "Easier controls" and I guess we all have this switched off, right? I remember me fighting the "Autorudder"/"Take off assist" on the Bf.109 for a couple hours, before I actually looked over the settings in detail...

Dude... All special options is ok

i5-4670/3,4Ghz/16GB DDR3/64xWin7/GTX1070/2xHDD RAID-0/1080p/Своп на отдельном харде

That's weird! I understand what you mean... This was TOTALLY different on early access release!

Any idea when this got tweaked?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

What version are you flying because this it not how it flies for me, either this is rigged or please detail how to get into these states.

Holbeach ?

MAD_MIKE ?

thanks

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Yes, that FM is so simplified it's tragic. Unworthy of DCS...

It was much better on release, feels like the "easier controls" or as if the SAS is always on... Very strange!

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hawkeye had a good idea with that FM poll...too bad it devolved into another dead end "discussion". I would like to be able to revert to the original one too.

The Polychop guy stated recently that the FM is realistic.

There you have it. It isn't going to be improved.

We need to move on and look forward to the Bo105 from Oliver's new company.

Who knows how long that will take, so why not enjoy the Bell47 that was just released?

It would be awesome to get some multiplayer servers up with it included.

I wonder what the relationship is with the independent developers and DCS. I have to believe there are alot of resources within the DCS group that PolyChop could tap into for expertise with the flight model. Can they contract Bilsimtek or Eagle to review the model and provide assistance. Do these developers interact like that? I would think its in Eagles best interest to assist as these products are all part their branding. Just a thought.

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

I wonder what the relationship is with the independent developers and DCS. I have to believe there are alot of resources within the DCS group that PolyChop could tap into for expertise with the flight model. Can they contract Bilsimtek or Eagle to review the model and provide assistance. Do these developers interact like that? I would think its in Eagles best interest to assist as these products are all part their branding. Just a thought.

The weird thing is, they had the flight model in a very good state on early access release! A little tweaking an doptimizing left maybe, but very lifelike.

Yeah, a lot of people complained it was toooooo difficult to fly,yaddayadda, but it was not "game-like" or felt simplified like this...

The last tweak I remember, was the adjustment for the ground collision, which introduced a bit less "twitchiness" on the yaw (pedals).

You still got easily into a vortex ring state, even with all SAS on and you could quickly pull a bit too hard on the cyclic to make her shudder and break out...:joystick:

Now you can break out of VRS in Auto-Hover(!) whenever you like, by just pulling collective?

I really wonder what happened here? I flew the Gazelle occasionally with SAS and AP on, so I put it down to stabilization doing its job.

After carefully testing the behaviour from MAD_Mikes video, I want my "old" Gazelle FM back, please... I rather fight a handful of difficult controls, than this.:cry:

Shagrat

From what I understand, no, there isn't much communication, not of this sort, at least. For example, Poly discovered the new network engine (which broke their multicrew) AFTER it was released and the Gazelle was unusable by then. Everybody is hitting on Poly, but everything isn't that black & white.

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

And even with that is the only helicopter with multicrew ( limited ).

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I have to keep reminding myself that "fun to fly" should be enough to keep me from letting myself feel really bummed out about the Gazelle multi-crew SimPit project I'm still working on. I was committed pretty hard before I learned that the Gazelle flight model is totally sub-par or at the least very incomplete.

Here is my main panel: attachment.php?attachmentid=161173&d=1492922256

I've got that built, collective grip and head, rotor brake and fuel flow assembly built, both seats, replica Gazelle/EC stick grip, and the shell for all the panels.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

That's the problem, people are bashing so insanely hard that you'd think the thing is 100% broken.

It's not. I'm sorry if that offends some here, but to me, the fact that every single return from actual Gaz pilots are saying that it's very near the real thing is showing that, despite its obvious flaws, the DCS Gaz is getting it.

Some choose to focus on the flaws. When you don't, the chopper behaves (mostly, I agree there are little missing things) like it should.

OTOH some response from Polychop portraying an ideal FM that does not need a single change, is indeed worrying. That said, I don't know myself what I'd like to see best, multicrew fixes, or FM...

Edited by Whisper

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

That's the problem, people are bashing so insanely hard that you'd think the thing is 100% broken.

It's not. I'm sorry if that offends some here, but to me, the fact that every single return from actual Gaz pilots are saying that it's very near the real thing is showing that, despite its obvious flaws, the DCS Gaz is getting it.

Some choose to focus on the flaws. When you don't, the chopper behaves (mostly, I agree there are little missing things) like it should.

OTOH some response from Polychop portraying an ideal FM that does not need a single change, is indeed worrying. That said, I don't know myself what I'd like to see best, multicrew fixes, or FM...

Agree, flaws and exploits, for me the Gazelle and Huey, okay the only things I have flown in DCS, really at a basic level seem to fly the same for me. Yes there are differences mostly to do with response based on weight and power, toque as well the Huey has some balls.

I also understand some of the anguish that the flight model isn't perfect, however if it's as good as it gets and it's only going to get better with cooperation I don't see the point of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I've done 200+ hours on the Gazelle and no matter how you slice and dice it 0.25c an hour is a fantastic premium for the engagement (VR). The Huey and I go way back and they are both great fun to fly, thanks Guys. :thumbup:

Edited by FragBum
<typo>

In MP combat missions I have never seen a Gazelle pilot do crazy unrealistic stuff. Everyone flies the gazelle more or less realistic.

What I see very often in MP is that Huey pilots flying way beyond the engine overheat limits (full speed at full loadout etc...).

Huey is long time out of beta and still has is issues while Gazelle has multicrew and is still WIP.

At least patience is needed in this forum section here. ;)

I am not saying it is totally "broken". I was just astonished, that compared to the original release flight model, where a veery noticeable VRS was present, and you couldn't just pull collective and recover, etc.

That means some tweaks and optimization has made things worse, than they were.

Not that the whole FM is unrealistic or wrong.

I enjoy flying the Gazelle very much. Guess the most of it is pretty close to the real thing, but if you go from "normal stick-to-the-operations-manual" flying to the edge, where VRS, asymmetric load and risky maneuvers kick in, then it seems the tweaks eliminated all the risky parts.

And sorry Mad_mike, it wasn't like that on release. I flew it on day one, and I had a hard time to handle the VRS and instability in turns, where you often quickly dropped and couldn't recover.

My first auto-hover with auto-collective off got me quickly into a VRS and I pulled max collective instinctively, and it did not stop VRS, but slammed me into the ground, like it should.

Took me a couple hours to train and immediately deactivate auto-hover if encountering VRS before anything else, to be able to move out of the disturbed air. So the original FM on release had a lot more realism, than what I tested in detail with SAS off, after I saw your video.

I hope after the break-up of PolyChop into PolyChop and Poly-Dynamics they manage to get to the FM and Netcode etc. and optimize it again.

It still is an awesome helo to fly.

Shagrat

And what about the official statement that entering VRS in the Gazelle M is very hard because the special blades?

Is false?

Polychop sources from Arme del Air are false?

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I didn't read the entire thread, but I did read a few pages, I know the module has its bugs, which I've seen by myself, I tried flying it with a friend of mine, using multicrew, and we had so many problems, not about flight model itself (Since I wasn't actually flying it), but other bugs. This aircraft is very interesting, it's not my favorite helo, I wish I could fly it more, but I'm sorry, I don't want to offend anyone here, I just can't handle the issues that I always see, trying to fly the module, I refuse to fly it in the current state, And I'm not talking about the FM.

I flew the Gazelle during the initial release, I always thought the FM was kinda strange (not entirely correct), but that was my opinion, I could fly it without much problems, since that was just a feeling, not an actual problem. But these days it's basically impossible to fly it without having at least a bug going on, if that makes sense...

I really want to ask you guys a question, I'm being honest, not trolling anyone, so please, take this question seriously...

What's the future of the module? Seeing all these problems with bugs and legal issues that the developers are having right now?

I don't want to sound rude, but I'm just being honest, and saying what I feel about it...