Cessna 172!

mytai01

Used to fly in these to go to work, man they are noisy and they rattle like they are falling apart, I cursed the day they swapped the Bandeirante for the skyvan on the route I used.

Well, that just adds to the charm! :D

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Now this thread makes you wonder...

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

I know people are being sarcastic. But I personally would put the 172 right up at the top of my list for aircraft I'd like to see in DCS. Especially if it came with a student pilot campaign, similar to the student pilot lessons in Microsoft flight simulator. So I for one actually wholeheartedly say let's have a Cessna 172. Not to mention learning VOR navigation, flying within the parameters of a student pilot, and IFR navigation would benefit almost everybody.

I see a lot of smilies here...but...here is the thing...

Since I am lacking in the basics of the art of flying (I know how to operate the Hog's CDU, search and lock with the F-15's radar and land the Stang on grass and yet,,,I had absolutely no idea what the hell the term circuits mean, what's the meaning of straight and level, how to navigate from one spot to another, looked at airport plates like twisted napkins and had absolutely no idea what the hell IFR stands for and so on)...I had to go to another sim to learn it.

So...I flew the 172 for something like 4 months and now I'm training with the T-6A Texan II.

And why all that...so I can be much better here, in DCS.

Isn't it pity?

The transition can be simple: 172 > T-6A > Hawk > choose your forte...wether it be Attack, Intercept, WWII, Choppers

So...yes!

Please!

Please give us the basic planes every single real pilot uses to become an ace combat pilot (or at least an adequate one lol).

Some of us are really good at flying but really lack the basics or knowledge quite a few have here...

Exactly! Learning and getting it right is part of flying, even more in the case of combat flying. And if there's a potential to grow DCS, it should be welcome, it can only be an improvement for everyone.

Now I hope the scripting features will continue to gain additional support for the training missions, there's already a lot of possibilities and for example the A-10C qualification DLCs by Maple Flag have shown this, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't easy for him. I think a few more triggers, data persistence, and extra links between the "GUI-oriented" editor and the lua would go a long way in that direction.

For the MP enthusiasts, the idea of shared cockpit is also great, and it's already in there for a few modules. Perhaps introducing a rating in DCS could help open that path? Just see how sites like StackOverflow work, let people share their knowledge and use people's ego, it's an immediate success! :D

The TF-51, the Albatros, the Yak-52 and the CE-II can offer a lot to many here, let's ignore the whinings of people who can't bear the idea that others may sometimes want something else than what they do. Hell, in the case of the CE-II it will even benefit to the future airplanes Magnitude 3 will release! I'd rather have a great Corsair or Stuka soon after release than a disappointing or average add-on for months, even if I'm familiar with the early release concept.

A 172, a 150 or a Super Club? To be frank, each task must have appropriate tools, the army knife concept doesn't apply well to everything. So training with very basic airplanes like those, without ATC, without AI traffic, busy airport, VFR and IFR flights, without familiar scenery of your homeland, more realistic weather, ... which is also a big part of learning with those aircraft... well, perhaps DCS is not really fit for that, or at least not yet. Yes, I'd probably get them, but only if they offered more depth than what is already available elsewhere, and I don't see any developer who would choose DCS over other civilian sims for that right now.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

I can see a place for aerobatics in DCS, as that part of flying is not covered well (does not feel right) in x-plane of FSX. But for GA aviation like a 172 i think it's pretty rediculus.. Why would anyone choose to fly a 172 in DCS over either FSX or x-plane? They literally do anything DCS can do in that area better.. Only reason aerobatics are better in DCS is because of the multiplayer and flight model.

I can see a place for aerobatics in DCS, as that part of flying is not covered well (does not feel right) in x-plane of FSX. But for GA aviation like a 172 i think it's pretty rediculus.. Why would anyone choose to fly a 172 in DCS over either FSX or x-plane? They literally do anything DCS can do in that area better.. Only reason aerobatics are better in DCS is because of the multiplayer and flight model.

DCS can handle the physics better, though (hoping it's fine to use specific names here) X-Plane has a fine approach too.

So while I'm not saying it's ridiculous, I think developers wouldn't invest in it now given the argument above (all the immersive features available in other sims).

Now if there were also a good training support on top, that could shift the balance ;) But military training didn't use to have C172 in their programme as far as I know. WWII or post-WWII saw trainers like BT-13 - and later, SNJ/AT-6 (there are still videos available on those, on Youtube!), AT-10, AT-9 and so on. Not small civilian trainers, they wanted to save time and offer more training potential from the start, especially in aerobatics - most civilian trainers aren't even rated for spins.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

cessna, grob tutor, tweety bird, talon, I'd honestly love any (or all!) of these within DCS.

Firstly because, as mentioned above, they would be great tools for actually learning airmanship and navigation, open up a lot of opportunities like pilot training campaigns, virtual training squads and servers, what have you.

Secondly because if they draw players to DCS that would not otherwise have come, great! Also, if they're easier to make and provide an alternate revenue stream for the developers that bring us combat planes, super!

Lastly, one of the things that really make DCS great for me is the sandbox aspect. In addition to being a great combat simulation, it's at its core a great flight simulator. I can fly planes from several eras, over beautiful landscapes, doing basically whatever I want to be doing. I can fly realistic(ish) combat operations, I can fly over the top comedy scenarios, I can fly competitively, cooperatively or alone, and sometimes I just want to get in whichever plane, enjoy the flight dynamics and take in the sights.

I say the more variety in planes, the better! Some argue that there's FSX and Xplane for that, but I'd rather my money go to support DCS developers

While a Cessna 172 does serve a purpose in training future military pilots in various armed forces around the world as well as civilian pilots for future work as airline captains and utility work.I'm biased to the Beech Bonanza V-tail variant and i would definitely throw money at a 3rd party who makes one for DCS.:DSame with the Beech King Air,B1900,Hawker 800 and any other aircraft from them.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I thought I recognized this one. Well, let me say this about that: the Christen Eagle has softened my stance a bit regarding civilian aircraft.

That's not to say that I'm endorsing the idea, I'm not! But if somebody creates one, I would probably break down and buy it eventually, if it was really well done.

But NOT before a prolonged bout of ranting and raving about the destruction of civilization, the impending apocalypse, and the end times being upon us. So they'll have to hear all that as punishment for having the cheek to make a civilian airplane for DCS, even if I do eventually purchase the thing.

:pilotfly:

Yeah, I thought I recognized this one. Well, let me say this about that: the Christen Eagle has softened my stance a bit regarding civilian aircraft.

That's not to say that I'm endorsing the idea, I'm not! But if somebody creates one, I would probably break down and buy it eventually, if it was really well done.

But NOT before a prolonged bout of ranting and raving about the destruction of civilization, the impending apocalypse, and the end times being upon us. So they'll have to hear all that as punishment for having the cheek to make a civilian airplane for DCS, even if I do eventually purchase the thing.

:pilotfly:

I would like to see more civilian aircraft in DCS!

How about an Extra 300 Heatblur…..

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

---------------------------------------------------------

Intel i-9 9900k @ 5.0 Ghz, EVGA 2080tiFTW3 11Gb, Corsair H115 PRO water cooler, Gigabyte AorusMaster motherboard, EVGA Super Nova 1000 watt G+ powersupply, G.SKILL 64Gb ram @3800 MHz, HP EX 920 M.2 PCIe 3TB,Windows 10Pro x64

• 1 month later...

What about T34C mentor + T45 Goshawk,

Basic turboprop, basic flight, aerobatics, retractable gear, basic weapons like guns rockets bombs, VFR IFR training,

Goshawk all those plus Carrier landings, ACM BFM, sidewinders, CCIP bombing....

I5 8600K  - MSI 3070 - 32Gb DDR4  - 1 TB NVME - 1TB SSD - :joystick: TM Warthog

FC3 - Mirage - Hawk (RIP) - F5E - L39 - F14B -A4E C- UH1H - AV8BNA - F16C - FA-18C - Ka50- Apache-A10CII - MB339

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So... after years of reading this thread is anyone developing a Cessna 172?

I hope so...

At least some dev team should see the potential by now...

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

• 3 weeks later...