1.5.8 and 2.2.0 to 2.5 transition Discussion

USSR_Rik

I'm a bit worried about these versions merging into 2.5 as although 2.2 has better graphics on a monitor, currently 1.58 is definitely smoother game play in VR than 2.2, so which version will prevail from a VR perspective?

As an example, I'm running 1.58 at 1.5 x resolution in game and 2.5 x Super Sampling. For 2.2 the optimum smoothness/ clarity is at 1.0 x resolution in game. Cockpit dials etc. not visible until close up.

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys.

I converted my 1.5 stable to 1.5 beta. I would like to know if i have to rename /DCS World to /DCS World OpenBeta and do the same within the registry and saved gamefolder?

I also like to know if after 2.5 beta is out and installed, do i need to keep 2.2 OpenAlpha or will the installer copy the needed files from the 2.5 beta version of the game for the stable version?

Hey guys.

I converted my 1.5 stable to 1.5 beta. I would like to know if i have to rename /DCS World to /DCS World OpenBeta and do the same within the registry and saved gamefolder?

I also like to know if after 2.5 beta is out and installed, do i need to keep 2.2 OpenAlpha or will the installer copy the needed files from the 2.5 beta version of the game for the stable version?

No, the name of the directories doesn't matter. You could have named them "Candy Coated Apple Simulator" when you installed it. It's irrelevant.

As for 2.2 wait until after the patch so it can copy the needed files over without downloading them again. After that it should delete it automatically. There won't BE a 2.2 after you're done.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

For everyone who is still confused about the schedule, please read the 1/26/2018 news by Chizh. He explains it very simply and clearly. Also, in reference to an earlier post on the number of pages in this thread, I predict, since we still have five days left until the beta download, that this thread will exceed 65 pages.:helpsmilie:

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

Okay, I've got it all down. When the 2.5 release becomes available, I'll just uninstall and remove my 1.5.8 release (Steam) and wait for my 2.2 alpha (standalone) to update. Either that or just uninstall and remove them both, and download 2.5 release (standalone). Sound good?

Questions

Q1. Can I update from current install of DCS World 2.2 OpenAlpha to 2.5 after DCS2.5 FINAL done, so less bugs and also not doing download/install when rush on servers happening? Am patient and can wait for a smoother journey with change.

Q2. Will DCS 2.5 include new Caucasus map, so is integral to 2.5 and not a paid for module?

Q3. Should I disable Antivirus and Malware software and Windows Firewall prior download process?

Q4. My only and current install of DCS World is DCS World 2.2 Open Alpha which has Nevada and Normandy Map and every aircraft module included, so is 85GB used of a Samsung 238GB SSD. This means I have 153GB free. Is this enough total space to do the update to 2.5 FINAL, as at some point both my current 2.2 and 2.5 FINAL will both be on this drive together. When prompted after install I will dump 2.2 so just 2.5 FINAL?

...........Thanks Gary

Q1. Can I update from current install of DCS World 2.2 OpenAlpha to 2.5 after DCS2.5 FINAL done, so less bugs and also not doing download/install when rush on servers happening? Am patient and can wait for a smoother journey with change.

Q2. Will DCS 2.5 include new Caucasus map, so is integral to 2.5 and not a paid for module?

Q3. Should I disable Antivirus and Malware software and Windows Firewall prior download process?

Q4. My only and current install of DCS World is DCS World 2.2 Open Alpha which has Nevada and Normandy Map and every aircraft module included, so is 85GB used of a Samsung 238GB SSD. This means I have 153GB free. Is this enough total space to do the update to 2.5 FINAL, as at some point both my current 2.2 and 2.5 FINAL will both be on this drive together. When prompted after install I will dump 2.2 so just 2.5 FINAL?

...........Thanks Gary

Please go through the posts of this thread. Hopefully you will get an answer for all your questions.

Yes, user selectable.

Yes, no payment needed, all free.

No, not needed. But disable the antivirus scanner before running the install is a good practise.

...........Thanks Gary

You may be on the edge of space needed so if you can move one of the installations to a new disk I would do that. After installation you can remove 2.2 as that is not needed and all you have in 2.2 today will be in 2.5, Nevada is there you know. :)

Hi,

if I understood this right:

I will upgrade from 1.5.8 Beta to 2.5 Beta on Wednesday (i will leave my 2.2 Alpha on disk because 2.5 Beta installer will use files from 2.2 Alpha so it will accelerate download)

But the question is:

After 1-2 weeks when 2.5 Release will be available, will be possible to switch from 2.5 Beta to 2.5 Release ? (so I will not receive beta updates)

Thanks

Intel Core i7 11700, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 4090, NVMe 3 TB, VR HP Reverb G2, Thrustmaster Warthog + pedals, Cougar MFDs, TrackIR, aInstruments

Hi,

if I understood this right:

I will upgrade from 1.5.8 Beta to 2.5 Beta on Wednesday (i will leave my 2.2 Alpha on disk because 2.5 Beta installer will use files from 2.2 Alpha so it will accelerate download)

But the question is:

After 1-2 weeks when 2.5 Release will be available, will be possible to switch from 2.5 Beta to 2.5 Release ? (so I will not receive beta updates)

Thanks

I use Skatezilla's updater to manage my accounts. It will allow changing from an OB instal to RC instal

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

A very useful addition to your PC

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, the name of the directories doesn't matter. You could have named them "Candy Coated Apple Simulator" when you installed it. It's irrelevant.

As for 2.2 wait until after the patch so it can copy the needed files over without downloading them again. After that it should delete it automatically. There won't BE a 2.2 after you're done.

So the files from the 2.5 beta will not be copied for the 2.5 stable version of the game. Thats confusing. I think i have to move 2.2 to another location then because i dont have enough SSD space left.

Anyway, thank you!

• Like 1

For everyone who is still confused about the schedule, please read the 1/26/2018 news by Chizh. He explains it very simply and clearly. Also, in reference to an earlier post on the number of pages in this thread, I predict, since we still have five days left until the beta download, that this thread will exceed 65 pages.:helpsmilie:

At least the interest level is high, take it as kind of a beta test on the forum strain :megalol:

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

My goodness! I read the news day it was posted, and four days later there are 40 pages asking the same thing basically. Hahaha!

Who wants to explain it again? The next person who posts without looking for the answer first gets to buy donuts for everyone - deal!!!

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

I have 1.5 on C: (120GB), 2.2 on D: (256GB) and I just bought E: (500GB), all three which are SSDs.

DCS 2.2 is on D: with X-Plane 11 which necessitated me to get the new E: for DCS exclusively. My C: system is close to maxed out and I am happy to clear out 1.5.

I am considering moving all DCS stuff prior to the BIG DAY to E:. Someone said that to move anything, all that needs to be done is to physically move then edit the registry.

My question is: is there a stand alone program to find all modules and do the move/edit for me?

I'm just scared of screwing something up. Worse case, I'll just wait for the installer and let it pick, choose, and delete as it wishes. I'm like most everyone else here and just want 2.5 on one SSD.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

I have 1.5 on C: (120GB), 2.2 on D: (256GB) and I just bought E: (500GB), all three which are SSDs.

DCS 2.2 is on D: with X-Plane 11 which necessitated me to get the new E: for DCS exclusively. My C: system is close to maxed out and I am happy to clear out 1.5.

I am considering moving all DCS stuff prior to the BIG DAY to E:. Someone said that to move anything, all that needs to be done is to physically move then edit the registry.

My question is: is there a stand alone program to find all modules and do the move/edit for me?

I'm just scared of screwing something up. Worse case, I'll just wait for the installer and let it pick, choose, and delete as it wishes. I'm like most everyone else here and just want 2.5 on one SSD.

You can copy paste the dcs world folder to the other drive. Make sure to fix all the game shortcuts relative to the new hard drive. You also need to edit the registry files on the PC so that the installer knows where to look when it does the update from beta 1.5.8 to 2.5 beta.

The installer will know what you have installed and copy it over to the install directory for 2.5 as long as you edit the registry after moving the dcs world folder to the other hard drive.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

The installer will know what you have installed and copy it over to the install directory for 2.5 as long as you edit the registry after moving the dcs world folder to the other hard drive.

And how would one do such thing?

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

It's in Windows Registry. That's what needs to be edited once you move all the files from one place to the other.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Simple.. press Windows key + R then type in regedit. A screen will come up. Navigate to H_KeyCurrentUser, you will see this folder. Expand this guy and go into the software folder. Look for DCS and expand that folder. In the dcs folder there should be another folder named DCS plus any other folder for the aircraft you own and any campaigns.

In that DCS folder you will see the path to where it's set. I have 1.5 and 2.0 installed but I only found the registry shortcut to 1.5. Not sure where the one for 2.0 is hiding.

I've included a screenshot. 1aa8313daaf645771a5ad32388da1071.jpg

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

You can copy paste the dcs world folder to the other drive. Make sure to fix all the game shortcuts relative to the new hard drive. You also need to edit the registry files on the PC so that the installer knows where to look when it does the update from beta 1.5.8 to 2.5 beta.

Thank you for your reply. However, what I am asking for is a BAT file or a LUA file that will not only locate all my files, but move them to where I specify and then edit the registry to reflect the changes it made.

I ask this because I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law. If any mistake can creep in to an important change, I'm damned sure I will make that mistake.

If there is no automated move/edit program, I will play it safe and wait for the installer on Feb. 1

Better safe and late than sorry and much later!

Simple.. press Windows key + R then type in regedit. A screen will come up. Navigate to H_KeyCurrentUser, you will see this folder. Expand this guy and go into the software folder. Look for DCS and expand that folder. In the dcs folder there should be another folder named DCS plus any other folder for the aircraft you own and any campaigns.

In that DCS folder you will see the path to where it's set. I have 1.5 and 2.0 installed but I only found the registry shortcut to 1.5. Not sure where the one for 2.0 is hiding.

The problem with editing Windows registry is making a small mistake and causing a big FUBAR. In some cases, you can trash your whole Windows install!

Even Windows experts will tell you, "if you are not comfortable with editing the registry, don't. Even if you are comfortable with editing it, MAKE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT!"

Knowing my tendency to really screw things up, I'm sure I can screw the registry enough to obliterate everything down to BIOS and the power supply!

Thank you for your reply. However, what I am asking for is a BAT file or a LUA file that will not only locate all my files, but move them to where I specify and then edit the registry to reflect the changes it made.

I ask this because I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law. If any mistake can creep in to an important change, I'm damned sure I will make that mistake.

If there is no automated move/edit program, I will play it safe and wait for the installer on Feb. 1

Better safe and late than sorry and much later!

Check my post above on editing the registry. There is no automated program to move everything for you..yet. I'm a software developer but I haven't written any batch files..well since forever. Mainly work on java/webservices for a financial institution so I haven't messed with making scripts to automate my home PC processes.

Once you copy everything over and repoint your shortcuts on your desktop to the new drive, editing the registry as shown above is simple and takes 2 minutes.

But if you want to play it safe sure you can wait for the official installer. I have faith you can make these changes :)

If anything just make a copy of the registry file you are editing by right clicking on it and copy. Put it somewhere safe and if you screw it up you just double click that file you copied and it will reinsert it into registry for you.

Edit: Yes a restore point is your best bet. Set one up and try it if you feel adventurous. I have my restore set to off because it takes up space in my Ssd's but I also know what I'm doing 90% time. Can't hurt to set just one restore point if you want to try it.

Check my post above on editing the registry. There is no automated program to move everything for you..yet. I'm a software developer but I haven't written any batch files..well since forever.....

..... but I also know what I'm doing 90% time. Can't hurt to set just one restore point if you want to try it.

I was a software developer back when God was a kid and system RAM was 4 kilobytes. That's why you saw my reference to a batch file. And, yes, I key punched my compiles and the JCL to go with it on my clients' mainframes. But you know Murphy. One day, the job specs said one thing and I misread a detail. I ran my perfectly functioning code on test data and it got signed off. Then, using my misread detail, I ran the code on live data. The misread detail said to update then delete live data. This was a huge multinational corporation and my code deleted a gazillion records in fractions of seconds. Management thought the live run went well. Until....

Well, I fixed the mistake and managed to recover all the live data short one working day's stuff. But it taught me a valuable lesson about Murphy and his law.

I value DCS so much that I don't trust my ability to play software engineer again. Even on a fresh install, Windows Registry can be a bit overwhelming to someone who rarely looks at it. I tend to stay away from it. Thus, I was asking someone more qualified than me to chance messing with my ability to fly on my machine that is working flawlessly.:)

Edited by =Mac=