why should the stick be held backward during taxi? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #21
Weegie

Reputation power: 6
Weegie is a jewel in the roughWeegie is a jewel in the roughWeegie is a jewel in the roughWeegie is a jewel in the roughWeegie is a jewel in the roughWeegie is a jewel in the roughWeegie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiii View Post
I use the paddle switch for intermittent braking, using the W command, "Wheel Brakes" as in the real thing, but also use the TMS Up and Down buttons to control "Wheel Brakes Increase" & "Wheel Brakes Decrease", to allow me to set the position of the brake lever to any position for either full parking brake or just a little. A quick touch of the brake lever releases the brakes from this setting immediately. It works quite well imo.
I was just going to add that tip about the wheelbrake increase/decrease command.

I have it mapped to the CMS Fwd/Back but wherever is comfortable for you. It's also a great way to apply the brakes during landing once rudder authority has decreased to zero, a quick flip and the brakes are on.

As a virtual pilot, I understand the "Haul it Back" brigade but as mentioned it's not necessary and IMHO makes little difference.

I don't even have the stick back on take off, following YoYo's advice and the Spit flies herself off without any problem.

Action on the rudder can get quite busy, but apart from that no problem
Weegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #22
Captain Orso

Reputation power: 6
Captain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the rough

Aside from keeping the tail down in general during taxiing, the more weight on the tail wheel the better it stayed straight:

Full Thread here: Engine Boost Control + Ground Handling

Excerpt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRush View Post
Ground Handling

Tail Wheel Castering
Tail wheel, currently in game the aircraft's tail wheel behaves like a shopping cart; in that is has reduced or no centering force to bring the tail-wheel aligned under the fuselage centerline. So what is happening in sim, the aircrafts tail refuses to stay behind the main wheels even when centered, and no external force is added (Power applications or wind)

In real life, while it is true the tail wheel is free-castering that is not the full story. The tailwheel design has a built in weight and geometry centering. I will do my best to describe it here with images and words.

The first is the weight/geometry holding the tailwheel centered. The axis that the tail wheel rotates through horizontally is on a tilted plane. Unlike say a shopping cart where the wheel rotates in a plane parallel with the ground, the wheel has a high point and a low point in its travel.

What this means is for the tail wheel to move from its centered position, there needs to be enough side load to compress the tail wheel oleo strut to effectively raise the tail. As the contact patch of the tail wheel rotates to say 180 degrees to centreline, the angled plane mean the wheel is in a "lower" position that when it started from its trail position. (See next picture) Please note that the image is showing the tail wheel oleo uncompressed, ie no weight on the wheel (and also those sweet sweet photoshop skills)

This means the tail wheel has oleo compression force centering the tailwheel once there is forward movement. Ontop of which any elevator and prop blast forces needed to be added to this as well.

The other centering force thats acting on the tail wheel is simply the wheels axis is behind the yawing axis/horizontal plane. This trail force naturally makes the tail wheel want to be behind the rotating (castering) axis due to friction.

What this means in practice with the above two scenarios, is as the aircraft starts rolling forward the tail wheel naturally wants to allign itself with the center line of the fueslage. However in game, we currently have a tailwheel that wonders around aimlessly. It however does feel like it has some centering force as ground speed increases and elevator loads hold the tail wheel to the ground. But its at the slow speeds where the tail wheel should have a little bit more natural centering force. Once the aircraft is at a walking pace, brakes should only be required to turn the aircraft, not keep it straight (in a zero wind scenario)

I'm still wondering if ED actually modeled this.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #23
HotTom

Reputation power: 8
HotTom is a jewel in the roughHotTom is a jewel in the roughHotTom is a jewel in the roughHotTom is a jewel in the roughHotTom is a jewel in the roughHotTom is a jewel in the rough

Good explanation, Orso, and it makes sense (as much sense as British engineering ever makes sense).

Would also request devs to confirm it actually is modeled.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #24
mkiii

Reputation power: 5
mkiii has a spectacular aura aboutmkiii has a spectacular aura aboutmkiii has a spectacular aura about

I originally modded the FM\FMOptions.lua file for the spit to alter the friction of the tail wheel castor via this
tailGearAxleFricM0f = 35.0 -- Original 11.0

...amongst other things.. which improved it for me at least.
Also these, the top one making it less like a power ball bounce:-
tailGearSpringForceFactor = 11000000 .-- Original 17000000
tailGearStaticForce = 6000 -- Original 3000

mkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #25
NeilWillis
Veteran

Reputation power: 22
NeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of lightNeilWillis is a glorious beacon of light

I have the Crosswind pedals too. I use the either pedal applies brakes method because it is analogue (incremental control) whereas the joystick lever is digital (Fully on or off only).

The pedals can be awkward until you get used to them, but they give far more subtle and precise control than an on off button can.

I'm looking forward to getting hold of a VKB joystick with the analogue lever too of course.
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #26
dburne
Veteran

Reputation power: 23
dburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nicedburne is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilWillis View Post
I have the Crosswind pedals too. I use the either pedal applies brakes method because it is analogue (incremental control) whereas the joystick lever is digital (Fully on or off only).

The pedals can be awkward until you get used to them, but they give far more subtle and precise control than an on off button can.

I'm looking forward to getting hold of a VKB joystick with the analogue lever too of course.
I use the analogue lever on my VPC stick , works very well. I used to have assigned to both Crosswind pedals but like the lever better.

EVGA X79 Dark MB|4820K @ 4.50 Ghz|16gb Corsair Platinum 2133 Mhz| EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite |VPC Mongoose |Warthog Throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals|Oculus Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #27
Rocky49

Reputation power: 13
Rocky49 is a jewel in the roughRocky49 is a jewel in the roughRocky49 is a jewel in the roughRocky49 is a jewel in the roughRocky49 is a jewel in the roughRocky49 is a jewel in the rough

Using analog brake lever on my MCG, it's a work in progress for me but it is easier to use

System:Motherboard Asus Z97-Pro,Asus Titan X GPU, 32 G Corsair Ram, Intel i7 4970 unlocked, cooled by corsair H100I, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated Intel 240G SSD, Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a CV1
Rocky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:13 AM   #28
Goblin

Reputation power: 10
Goblin is a jewel in the roughGoblin is a jewel in the roughGoblin is a jewel in the roughGoblin is a jewel in the roughGoblin is a jewel in the roughGoblin is a jewel in the roughGoblin is a jewel in the roughGoblin is a jewel in the rough

I use my home made brake lever. It really improved taxiing in the russian aircraft, and the Spit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E5E68656-F1DD-419C-AF50-21FDEA5C5F86.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	176437  
Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote