FENCE CHECKS

shu77

Trying to get some feedback on an aircraft agnostic FENCE CHECK process. This has been based on the F-16 and T-45 documents though also incorporating DCS Hornet, I want to try and get this to a point where is serves as a general list for a new player, but acts as a prompt for a veteran. Interested in what is missing from these lists.

UPDATES

2JUL2020: Changed formatting and TYPOS added second TACAN reference

2JUL2020: ADDED DATALINK to COMMS

3JUL2020 mostly acknowledgements

11JUL2020 Incorporating RWR THREAT SUMMARIES INITIAL RELEASE

11JUL2020 Added Chinese slides various Typos

12JUL2020 Added Chinese Navy, HMS Ark Royal started Roundels to identify operators

13JUL2020 Added various Non RWR aircraft, threat Index for russian aircraft

14JUL2020 Added more aircraft without a radar and Helicopters

15JUL2020 Summary slide completed. Final version until theres some update

16JUL2020 Includes Type 71 ATD from last OB patch in addition to Arleigh Burke and more Helicopters and the Alphajet. Updated Aircraft Engagement Ranges to reflect DCS rather that Wikipedia

18JUL2020 Added CDG and a couple other improvements

Now on User Files HERE

Edited by shu77

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

my understanding is that master arm is used in an aircraft the same way the safety is on a rifle, I'm interested if anyone can expand on this. I note the F-26 manual talks about using it on ingress if drop tanks are present to allow for a fast drop.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

Interested in what is missing from these lists.

Great list so far! :thumbup:

I think TACAN should not just be mentioned under NAVAIDS, but also under EMITTERS, because the normal Transmit/Receive that allows DME readouts will, as the name suggests, also transmit and thus emit signals that could be intercepted by hostile ELINT assets.

Maybe something like this:

NAVAIDS

- TACAN - SET CHANNEL HOME/TANKER/DIVERT

EMITTERS

- TACAN - OFF/RECEIVE ONLY/AS FRAGGED

And then of course the other way around for the fence out.

On another note, TACAN is already an acronym, I would not condense it to TCN. Unless TCN is already meant as something other than TACAN. ;)

And some nitpicking: the formatting is a bit off. Some of the dashes are short and fat, some are long and fat, some are slim. Some have a space behind them, some don't. The section COMMS doesn't use dashes but colons instead. Not a big deal, but this kind of inconsistency always triggers me. ;)

An added bonus for readability could be a table-like layout, so that the left hand items and the right hand items are all vertically aligned.

Okay, while I'm at it: the relatively dark background color leaves the black and blue fonts with a relatively low contrast. For a checklist, you just can't do too much to get the best possible readability, so if the background color was a lot lighter or even just plain boring white, I think readability would be improved. :thumbup:

Oh man, sorry, but one final item: the font on the FENCE OUT checklist is a fair deal larger than on the FENCE IN checklist. Does this indicate the the FENCE OUT checklist is more important? :smartass:

I originally had a white version, but I am told in VR at night a white background is blinding in the cockpit.

Personally I keep my kneeboards on an Ipad as I cant get them to render well on my monitor set up. I'll throw a white version up when I run through the formatting

and see if theres any feedback on usability in VR.

I like the point on TACAN, thats actually practical for the sim too which a number of real checks like Visor and straps are not. .

cw1.png

ok version 2 up incorporating some changes to formatting and second TACAN reference.

cw1.png

Version 3 adds a reference to datalink I realised wasnt covered listening to some squadron colleagues flying tonight

cw1.png

3dec added disclaimer/references.

cw1.png

I originally had a white version, but I am told in VR at night a white background is blinding in the cockpit.

Good point, that makes sense, though I'm not sure how a pilot would open a PDF in VR during flight.

Anyway, great new version! :thumbup:

You can use kneeboard builder to pull the PDF into a PNG format, it does all the hardwork for you. Once Im happy with it I iwll likely move to ED files and add a PNG version to.

cw1.png

I'm going to incorporate my threat boards into the next version of this.

I am currently working on integrating air threats

F-5E.png

trying to summarise what people would actually want to know in a knife fight and also where they are likely to encounter them. The example above is based on the TFK training server so Ive included 'bases' to indicate where they will be encountered, but would be interested what you would actually want to know about a threat contact when it pops up on your RWR.

cw1.png

UPDATE 11JUL2020 Have incorporated the initial release of my Threat Summary slides into this and also included a PNG export suitable for use as Kneeboards. I will leave hosted in the forum but look to move to the User Files section with the next update.

cw1.png

Next update will have dedicated China slides, unfortunately tracking down RWR updates takes a little time.

cw1.png

OK Initial chinese release added. I believe this version is now authorative until I can figure out the last few entries

cw1.png

Some small updates for the Chinese Navy HMS Ark Royal and the start of operators Roundels

cw1.png

Yeah I just liked the formatting. Will keep thinking about it.

cw1.png

Had a go at a new border per previous feedback, starting to add more non RWR aircraft and other small updates interested in feedback on what would make these slides useful given the lack of current aides for DCS

cw1.png

Have added some more aircraft without radars that were missing from the last release and Helicopters

Edited by shu77

cw1.png

Summary slide updated, Final version until theres some new codes

cw1.png

Now Includes Type 71 ATD from last OB patch in addition to Arleigh Burke and more Helicopters.

cw1.png

Second update for 16 JUL 2020 Updated Aircraft Engagement Ranges to reflect DCS rather that Wikipedia, added AlphaJet.

cw1.png

Added CDG and a few other improvements

cw1.png

• 2 weeks later...

latest version now on userfiles. Includes several additional unit summaries

cw1.png