Weapon against moving convoy in narrow valley?

Spathiphyllum

I have a simple mission where my Viggen is based at Nalchik. From the mountains not too far from the airport, a convoy of 6 enemy units including several armed ones (T-72) and some unarmed ones, move down the mountain road, across some small villages in a valley. The road they travel often leads through forests.

If I were to employ the Viggen to eliminate the convoy or part of the convoy, which weapon would be the best choice? How would one normally spot these vehicles? Will they be visible on the radar? Or should I visually find them?

How would you guys do?

I am not an expert Viggen pilot but after I have tried and learned most of the weapons and systems on a basic level I would say I would use ARAK for a mission like this with high-explosive or armour-piercing warheads.

I found that ARAK is the best weapon that can be use "ad hoc" with visual target acquisition beside the gun pod.

My other choice would be BK90 on a straight road but it would require a lot of planning I should predict the exact time of the convoy to reach a specific point (set TID ) on the road than overfly it just before they get there and do a manual own position fix above the road target waypoint than I would fly away about 15km make a turn position my flight path paralel with and above the road and release the BK90 the right time (proper QFE set, "long line" program).

The 2nd option would need a lot of practice and planning but I guess this option could do the most damage to a convoy.

But I think realistically using ARAK (or gun pod?)can be the "easiest" and the best while its also need a lot of practice to be used effectively and doing significant damage to a convoy would require a couple of flyby I guess.

Edited by Sharkh

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

It depends on what are your priority targets in the convoy. If the logistic trucks are priority, as Limotimbo said, I'll go for high drag bombs. But you must be very lucky to destroy the T-72 with them and some trucks will escape despite the fact that bombs hit the ground 5m-10m from them because the DCS bombs/weapons damage radius is completely broken since 5 years and ED just don't care... If this T-72 must be destroyed, I'll go for RB-75 and AKAN gun pod.

RB-75 sounds interesting too. Does it require advanced planning such as exact location of the target and such?

Maybe its just me but I think it would be a pain and almost impossible to find and lock any target on a road with forest around with an RB-75 and the Viggen instrument for this weapon even they are standstill but if you like the challenge you can try it. ON a map like Nevada I would use it. (RB-75 is basically the swedish version of the AGM-65 Maverick you have to set QFE than lock the ground target using its "unique" sight instrument of the Viggen for this weapon than shoot :D )

Edited by Sharkh

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

I have just tested Arak and High drag(M/71) bombs on an armored convoy and Jowen was right about the explosion radius that even though my bombs exploded on the road on a tight formation convoy very close to the vehicles and the smoke was so huge that I thought I killed almost everything than I was surprised when I saw a single kill :D on the mission result screen.

I've managed only one or two kill with these bombs because their damage radius seems small (I am not sure if its realistic or not) while with arak armor piercing I could easily manage to achieve higher kill counts. (3-4) I guess 5-6 is possible on a convoy in close formation if you set your flight path properly.

edit: Your should try Arak long range mode. In theory its less accurate but It gave me better result firing the rockets from higher distance on the convoy in my custom mission . The other "positive" effect(fun factor) of this mode you can see the impact better.

Edited by Sharkh

I have just tested Arak and High drag(M/71) bombs on an armored convoy and Jowen was right about the explosion radius that even though my bombs exploded on the road on a tight formation convoy very close to the vehicles and the smoke was so huge that I thought I killed almost everything than I was surprised when I saw a single kill :D on the mission result screen.

I've managed only one or two kill with these bombs because their damage radius seems small (I am not sure if its realistic or not) while with arak armor piercing I could easily manage to achieve higher kill counts. (3-4) I guess 5-6 is possible on a convoy in close formation if you set your flight path properly.

Hey Sharkh, let me know if you feel like doing a co-op Viggen mission on a HUNAF server for example!

Hey Sharkh, let me know if you feel like doing a co-op Viggen mission on a HUNAF server for example!

I am afraid to play any multi in DCS for now. I am just messing around in single player for a while I guess with different planes so I don't have to worry about I do something stupid affecting the gameplay of others.

I have the game since 2014 but I have only started to put a bit more effort in learning some planes so I feel its too early to play MP on my level.

But maybe in the future I will try it. Thanks for the invite anyway. :D

edit: Did you try the Arak?

I did, but I could not even find my target. :-)

I then created a different mission for the Persia map attacking a factory deep inland, using high drag bombs. Love the Viggen. I hope that the outstanding issues will be fixed in the future.

By the way, I have been playing DCS for two months only so worry you not - I am a total noob! :-)

There's some back and forth regarding the effectiveness of bombs. It seems like what it comes down to is what is regarded as a "kill". The game regards a kill as "100%" destroyed, whereas your bombs may have inflicted damage taking the unit down to 50 or 30% effectiveness. You may have completely destroyed one vehicle, but inflicted enough damage on the rest to make them non-operational. The problem, of course, is that this isn't reflected in the score. You'd have to look at the AAR at the end of the mission to look hit "Hits", and examine the Tacview to see what got damaged.

Regarding QFE for the Rb-75, it's not necessary, but it does help place the target location indicator. This is really just meant to give you a general indication of where the target is to help steer your approach.

Make sure to take the Rb-75Bs, as they have the enhanced zoom compared to the As. The "T" model contains a heavier warhead for things like bridges and bunkers, but doesn't have the enhanced zoom. I agree, picking out vehicles with the RB-75 is rather difficult if they're even remotely in clutter, let alone IDing one vehicle from another. The B model helps, but even then, by the time you get close enough to really distinguish what you're looking at, defenses can be an issue. But you can pick out targets in a field pretty well.

Glad to hear the ARAK rockets do fairly well. I was looking into revisiting these, and I might have to do that some more based on the results posted here.

Kozality

Vargar 1-2

107th JAS

http://throughtheinferno.com/

I did, but I could not even find my target. :-)

I then created a different mission for the Persia map attacking a factory deep inland, using high drag bombs. Love the Viggen. I hope that the outstanding issues will be fixed in the future.

By the way, I have been playing DCS for two months only so worry you not - I am a total noob! :-)

Hi Spathiphyllum, on what server do you play multiplayer? I've been playing DCS Viggen for a while, but don't think I have enough skill to do multiplayer. I'm not sure I will manage not to wreck others game :)

Regards

FanOfALF

Hi Spathiphyllum, on what server do you play multiplayer? I've been playing DCS Viggen for a while, but don't think I have enough skill to do multiplayer. I'm not sure I will manage not to wreck others game :)

Hey man!

Can actually play on any server - if you know a good one, I can join! Today I started to dig deeper into the navigation capabilities of the Viggen, did some night navigation tasks including a TILS landing which I didn't complete successfully.

I have now three days off in a row so let me know if you're ready for some co-op stuff, be it learning (which I definitely could do with being a complete Viggen noob - not so much aviation noob, been civilian flight simming for over 20 years) or basic missions.

Hey man!

Can actually play on any server - if you know a good one, I can join! Today I started to dig deeper into the navigation capabilities of the Viggen, did some night navigation tasks including a TILS landing which I didn't complete successfully.

I have now three days off in a row so let me know if you're ready for some co-op stuff, be it learning (which I definitely could do with being a complete Viggen noob - not so much aviation noob, been civilian flight simming for over 20 years) or basic missions.

Hi Spathiphyllum, been busy this weekend. Have to look around for some severs, haven't done that very much. Night navigation and landings are nice, good training using the instruments. Would be fun flying with someone. Not good att flying in formation, but would be fun trying at least. :pilotfly:

Regards

FanOfALF

Hi Spathiphyllum, been busy this weekend. Have to look around for some severs, haven't done that very much. Night navigation and landings are nice, good training using the instruments. Would be fun flying with someone. Not good att flying in formation, but would be fun trying at least. :pilotfly:

Let me know when!

You two should both try playing with us on the 107th server. Look it up in my signature below, and join our Discord. You'll find me there. I suspect you're better than you think, and if not, we'll all get there together. Multiplayer is fun, and it's a great learning environment. You'll get skilled quick. Come play. =)

Kozality

Vargar 1-2

107th JAS

http://throughtheinferno.com/

You two should both try playing with us on the 107th server. Look it up in my signature below, and join our Discord. You'll find me there. I suspect you're better than you think, and if not, we'll all get there together. Multiplayer is fun, and it's a great learning environment. You'll get skilled quick. Come play. =)

Thanks man, will do!

Hey man!

You should check out Hoggit lots of static target locations with some procedurally generated ones and the servers sees regular activity.