Can the speedbrake be assigned to an axis?

lesthegrngo

Simple enough question, I have the Thrustmaster HOTAS so was thinking of trying to use the right hand axis wheel for it.

While I am at it, if I was to make a panel for the undercarriage lever, if the gear up / gear down buttons are continuously pressed will that cause issues for the rest of the game or does it have to be a momentary press only

Thanks for helping a newbie

Cheers

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo
spelling

Difficult to make axis control as it is binary logic switch. However it is simple to make axis into 3 zones that press buttons based on axis position. In this way I have the landing gear lever 1/3 "up" 1/3 nothing 1/3 "down".

Continuous press of gear direction is no problem.

Not sure what you mean, but pressing the "gear-down-switch" once, will lower or retrieve the gear fully. No need to hold the button.

When I want to use speedbrakes, I can hold the button or switch and the brakes will come up or down the amount I want. Fully or just a bit.

Hope it helps.

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

You have a replica of the Warthog Throttle with the speedbrake assigned to the same button as in the real aircraft.

Why would you want to assign it to something else?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

a10 is the only one having more control on speedbrakes, but you can visualize and hear their deflection..setup the throttle slider on top of boat switch..forward closed/aft open {forward click will always lock speedbrakes in place, both audible and tactile feel, realistic and handy setup}

air_462a_016.gif

if you like to make your life complicated you could use a logic board and built a panel, search the forum with google

if not, use the savage way and steal the laste/autopilot switch from hotas, solder a lan wire and glue it to your lever whatever :) soldering basics and don't use the hotas with cables powered :)

Edited by vali_grad

Su34 & F111 a dream fullfilled in fsx...[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 5600, 1050ti, 16 GVram, win10 , TM W hotas&rudder, waiting for 1060/1070 price fall or a new gpu family..f*&9 miners :)

TARGET programming, e.g.

KeyAxis(&Throttle, THR_FC, 0, AXMAP2(3, DX30, 0, DX31));    [color=#32cd32]//Landing Gear[/color]

ok. thank you very much.

i'm a bit hesitant to use TARGET software, because i generally try to install as little additional software as possible, especially when said software runs in the background.

your example seems to be a real benefit of TARGET though...

i hope we will get similar advanced options in vanilla dcs some day... otherwise i might give TARGET a try...

• 4 weeks later...
You have a replica of the Warthog Throttle with the speedbrake assigned to the same button as in the real aircraft.

Why would you want to assign it to something else?

Bit of a delayed response, so apologies for that. As for why I would want to change it, as most aircraft I am familiar with have speedbrakes that you can deploy to a particular angle, much like the flaps, that is why. I'm pretty certain that the A-10C is like that too in real life, although multiple searches fails to prove either way.

If I want 50% deployment why not have a lever with a detent at 50%? Why should I have to hold the button as long at it takes to close the brakes rather than just selecting 'closed'?

Even if it was a case of three or four positions it would seem more logical than to just deploy something by sight by looking behind you - that's the very antithesis of HOTAS, where the point is to be able to concentrate on what you should be doing rather than manage a sub-system manually

Cheers

Les

The speedbrakes in US aircraft (F-86, F-5, F-15, A-10, F-16, F-18 ) all operate the same way and your Warthog has the proper control. There is no axis, just a 3-pos switch. The longer you hold it aft, the more it opens. Middle position stops the movement, and forward position stows the airbrake. That's why forward position is latched, aft position is momentary, so you can set it to stow and stop caring about it, while it won't accidentally open by itself.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Why should I have to hold the button as long at it takes to close the brakes rather than just selecting 'closed'?

That is why the "close" (Retract Airbrake) switch is a toggle switch while the "open" (Extend Airbrake) switch is a momentary switch. Both switches are accurately simulated in game and if you use a HOTAS Warthog work like IRL.

Even if it was a case of three or four positions it would seem more logical than to just deploy something by sight by looking behind you - that's the very antithesis of HOTAS, where the point is to be able to concentrate on what you should be doing rather than manage a sub-system manually

Cheers

Les

To deploy the airbrake you hold the momentary switch, until the rate of decelaration is as required.

To retract it, you simply switch to "retract" and leave it, to concentrate on different matters.

Most modern jets do it this way, or in conjunction with a fly-by-wire or stability augmentation system even have interactions between the flight control system and all control surfaces, including the airbrakes.

For the A-10C there is a limit to the airbrake in flight, only with the sensor recognizing weight on the front wheel, you can extend the airbrake to 100%... :smartass:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)