DCS WWII Map Discussion

I'm curious to see if the Iwo Jima map has parts of Japan in it cause without that I think it will be kinda boring to just have the Volcano Islands and nothing else. If there is parts of Japan it would be really cool to fly P-51D strikes from Iwo against Japan

I have the same worry about the Falklands map from Razbam, it would be kinda boring if the Argentine Coast isn't in there to fly from.

I was pulling for a Solomon Islands/Rabaul/Port Moresby setting because of the abundance of airfields and islands to fly from and abundance of scenarios to play with there from Marine Corps F4U's to Aussie and Kiwi P-40F's add in a P-38 or a P-39/400 I would be over the moon!

For me these early to mid-war air battles are more iconic in my mind, chasing Saburo Sakai and sinking Maru's over beautiful tropical islands sounds more fun than dropping napalm on caves and chasing Kamikazes.

On another note another cool idea for a WW2 map could be a Vietnam/Burma/Siam/Kunming map! This could be a great CBI map AND double as a Vietnam War map as well and kill two stones with one bird so to speak haha

Something about the CBI has always fascinated me as a historian, probably because other than the AVG its a forgotten front.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is parts of Japan it would be really cool to fly P-51D strikes from Iwo against Japan

650 miles for trip from Iwo to Tokio and the same distance flight back...

full wings tanks (67% of fuel) only for ONE way (IRL to home to Iwo), 2*110 gallons for way to Tokio and fuselage 85 gallons for fight

if i see that no one wants to play mission from England across chanel only, 7+ hours trip, no i can't imagine it...

btw. no 110gallons underwing tanks in DCS (or even 165 for strike with HVARs)

IMO, finished Normandy map and a new WWII Europe map will be good progress for now

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

650 miles for trip from Iwo to Tokio and the same distance flight back...

Yep it is a hell of a long flight that is for sure, they dont call it "The largest battleground" for nothing... Thats why I see an Iwo map as kinda boring unfortunately...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

I really hope to one day have a Battle of Britain scenario and obviously the necessary map. It would however involve appropriate aircraft modules and as our aircraft are focused on late war versions I don’t think that it will happen for DCS.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I really hope to one day have a Battle of Britain scenario and obviously the necessary map. It would however involve appropriate aircraft modules and as our aircraft are focused on late war versions I don’t think that it will happen for DCS.

battle of britain would be awesome indeed...but i would even prefer the later days of 41 and 42 around that area. spitV, 190As and especially 109F version, thats what i dream about.

Let's think reasonably. We have 4 late war planes. Making the early war versions wouldn't make sense, no matter how nice they would be. I would also love an East Anglia/ Germany map, but that would be a lot of work, and it wouldn't offer anything the Normandy map can't do (with a little bit of imagination). I'd say expand the current planeset first (P-47, Me262, Tempest?, AI bombers, etc...) Then there are 2 ways:

a) create a map that would fit the existing planeset (Germany)

or

b) consider "Europe" finished, for what it's worth, and move on to the Pacific.

in case of b) the map would be the least of the trouble. We'd need too many new planes. This being said flying Hellcats off carriers is my No.2 dream in DCS - after the F-14 of course.

We haven't heard anything to the contrary either and they are still developing the F4U Corsair as a starter for a Pacific Theater. ;)

Frankly speaking. If ED would be more open to 2rd party theater development and hand out appropriate tools to build airbases, DCS would profit much more than it actually does. Lot of people that would like Korea, Vietnam, Middle East or pacific theaters are doomed to wait for accredited vendors with limited resources to release their EA products.

Other sims did evolve exceptionally well due to the fact that a lot of community work was released, some with more, some with less accuracy. Still, the game mechanics would be untouched and the DCS community would have a gain in users too.

Accurate representation of Solomons / Coral Sea exists, with objects. Freeware project

Accurate Middle East / Irak / Iran / Israel exists. Lot of talented guys are out there that would probably generate the objects. Payware project

Accurate Korea, Balkans, Vietnam does exist. Likely it could be ported easily and improved. Freeware project

I contacted the guys of the Middle East theater and asked them about building for DCS. Simple response. Simple to complicated to get on board. Not acceptable conditions.

Since ED does not like names of other sims to be mentioned, I'll be silent.

Hurray, an accredited vendor said something about a Pacific Theater and a F4U in 2015. Seriously, just a joke to bring this "we haven't heard anything ..." It is not coming!

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Frankly speaking. If ED would be more open to 2rd party theater development and hand out appropriate tools to build airbases, DCS would profit much more than it actually does. Lot of people that would like Korea, Vietnam, Middle East or pacific theaters are doomed to wait for accredited vendors with limited resources to release their EA products.

Other sims did evolve exceptionally well due to the fact that a lot of community work was released, some with more, some with less accuracy. Still, the game mechanics would be untouched and the DCS community would have a gain in users too.

Accurate representation of Solomons / Coral Sea exists, with objects. Freeware project

Accurate Middle East / Irak / Iran / Israel exists. Lot of talented guys are out there that would probably generate the objects. Payware project

Accurate Korea, Balkans, Vietnam does exist. Likely it could be ported easily and improved. Freeware project

I contacted the guys of the Middle East theater and asked them about building for DCS. Simple response. Simple to complicated to get on board. Not acceptable conditions.

Since ED does not like names of other sims to be mentioned, I'll be silent.

Hurray, an accredited vendor said something about a Pacific Theater and a F4U in 2015. Seriously, just a joke to bring this "we haven't heard anything ..." It is not coming!

I think ED wants to make sure that the stuff available to DCS is quality stuff. If random mod teams would be able to develop stuff for DCS it would surely improve quantity, but the price would be the lack of quality in a lot of these things.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

A 109 G-6 would add less value to the game than let's say a Tempest, or an Me-262. These would open up way more possibilities.

True.

But building a Bf 109 G-6 by modifying the existing K-4 and adding alternative weapon loadouts may be easier than building up the Tempest or Me 262 completely from scratch.

True.

But building a Bf 109 G-6 by modifying the existing K-4 and adding alternative weapon loadouts may be easier than building up the Tempest or Me 262 completely from scratch.

I'm no developer, but I think building a G-6 would be NEARLY as much work as a completely different plane. Things that seem similar to us earthlings are not re-usable at all for a developer. I may be wrong, though. Didn't hey say earlier model 109s and 190s are coming as AI planes?

You know what would give a massive boost to DCS WW2? Something nobody else has done: a flyable B-17. We have the external model already...

Because it would be a lot of extra work for little added value. A 109 G-6 would add less value to the game than let's say a Tempest, or an Me-262. These would open up way more possibilities.

with a tempest i might agree...with the me262 not. which extra value? people are already complaining about the K4. i see the 262 already banned from servers once it finally arrives in a couple of years. a g6 or even better a F4 would add more value than a 262 imo.

im no dev, but i think it wouldnt be too much work to build a g6 given we have already a k4...dont forget, according to the devs, a lot of p51 is in our k4. they built it upon it. so at least i assume that lots of work is already done for an earlier 109 model with the k4 we have.

of course, if its just about experiencing a new completely different aircraft offline, the 262 might be interesting...but i cannot see its worth at least for online play.

same goes for a b17 unfortunately. considering the performance drops when having a handfull of AI b17s in a mission. not to mention the development time for this thing. it already takes years to build single engines in dcs obviously. twin engine bombers like a b25 would probably be more feasable.

actually we need more fresh modern theater , highly detailes as Ex Jugoslavia

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I think ED wants to make sure that the stuff available to DCS is quality stuff. If random mod teams would be able to develop stuff for DCS it would surely improve quantity, but the price would be the lack of quality in a lot of these things.

Not all what was ever released under license, I would call a quality product. Rather an open beta since years ;)

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Looks like there IS a new WW2 map coming:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3602764&postcount=1632

there will be a new WW2 map in europe and later some syrian stuff and probably afghanistan etc. no further details will be revealed right now because plans could change. Right now we are interested in regions that would be interesting to have “War” in with the planes we have.

actually we need more fresh modern theater , highly detailes as Ex Jugoslavia

Balkans, was ever a freeware work built on top of a payware from 1998 ;)

Theaters like Irak/Kuwait 800'000+ sqkm, Syria/Jordan/Lebanon/Palestine/Israel, 300'000 sqkm are available but ED decided to keep the vendor out. There is further dialog there.

At some point ED might run out of business and like the company from 1998 abandon the ship. What comes after is a commercial war for rights with one product ending dead end and the other being a highly tuned and modded payware which is limited by the base technology from 1998. Very very sad.

A big aerospace company is making good money of something they inherited from our friend Bill gates. All the others are dying out, some faster others slowly.

Add-on is what you need, besides the cool mods from the community in the mode section. Thats the reality, otherwise you run out of funds at a certain point.

I tell you a story about a guy which is called JV. He said beginning this year, that he never ever will build any scenery for a specific sim. He rather was build for other sims. But one of these sims was already a dead horse. No add-ons were ever built. Then mid year, he started to realize that he was riding on a dead horse. And guess what he is now making business with exactly that sim, which he said he would never build add-ons for.

Another company like ED, WG was having airplane combats and tanks. Today, one the cashcows is dead. WG managed perfectly to scare off the community in certain areas. Lucky of them that they managed to bring in a new cashcow right before the other died. Their plane MP servers don't even find enough people here in Europe anymore to have a MP match.

We got planes, we got vehicles but we lack of terrains

Balkans

Middle East

Vietnam

Korea

WW2 Solomons

WW2 Coral Sea

WW2 Eastern Front

at least 2 new WW2 maps?

reading the newsletter from yesterday, am i right in assuming that at least 2 new WW2 maps are currently in development by ED?

"All of these are various stages of development, and they will serve a vital role in fleshing out the DCS World II experience in concert with the new damage modelling, new World War II era maps, and dogfight AI."

Edited by birdstrike

Do we know anything, has anything been mentioned or hinted, what area this or these maps would cover? Or would it be pure speculation? Im guessing west Germany (Rhine area) with a chunk of France and Belgium or Belgium and Holland, since we already have the 44-45 period aircraft, and that would be the next area of operations in the air war?

Just basing it on this, since that area had a large concentration of USAAF / Allied airfields (last page in this doc)

https://www.afhra.af.mil/Portals/16/documents/Timelines/World%20War%20II/usaaf_european_airfields.pdf?ver=2016-08-30-150750-583

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Ouh, thats a lot of maps :thumbup:

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

The only thing said so far was that they wanted to create maps that fit for the current planeset. If you think about how late in the war the K-4 and D-9 came that doesn't leave a whole lot.

Personally I think southern Germany/Austria would be great. Northern Germany would be cool as well. Berlin would fit but then one would technically need soviet fighters as well if you want to have everything covered.

IMO Rhein/Ruhr/Belgium/France would be a bit of a mistake. As much as that was the biggest industrial region and got bombed alot it's exactly the Bodenplatte area that is being covered by the "other sim".

But who knows. If it's true and it really does fit with the late war western front planeset we have I'm sure it will be interesting.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

The only thing said so far was that they wanted to create maps that fit for the current planeset. If you think about how late in the war the K-4 and D-9 came that doesn't leave a whole lot.

The current planeset was decide by a old company on a KS, now that can be expanded with new aircraft by the WW2 Team (Mosquito can be incoming) to fit better with 1944/45 western front.

Maybe in 10 years but at the moment we have what we have and if they want to build maps for that then there are limited options.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin