Own DCS excell Logbook

Rhinozherous

Hello!

I know DCS has a logbook but since it is not tracking online sessions and I want to have a more simple overview over my hours per module I came here.

I want to use an excell sheet (but on open document) with a column for modules where every row stands for a module and is extendable when new modules arrive.

Then I want to use columns for Date, Hours, Remarks or Notes

The hours should auto summ-up and maybe the date should be auto entry....

Now I wanted to know if anyone knows if this possible at all, as I have zero experience with excell :smartass:

Thank you very much!

Edited by Rhinozherous

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Yes it's very much possible

To keep it simple for you the template could fairly easily be created with everything you said and you would enter your info after each flight.

The Excel file can automatic add up the number you put in and stuff for you.

If you have Excel you should be able to start it with little experience, if you don't, you can do the same with Google Sheets which is free

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Yes it's very much possible

To keep it simple for you the template could fairly easily be created with everything you said and you would enter your info after each flight.

The Excel file can automatic add up the number you put in and stuff for you.

If you have Excel you should be able to start it with little experience, if you don't, you can do the same with Google Sheets which is free

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thank you very much! I already found some tutorials on yt. I think I will create it with Apache Open Office Calc as I dont own Microsoft Office.

When (if) I am happy with the result I will load it up so that everybody can use it.

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

sure, if you try with Google Docs/Google Sheets, which is also free, you can post the link to the sheet.

With access, others could help with edits and making it better.

Then you and anyone else would be able to save a copy of the template to use.

i am willing to bet others have already created something, but honestly learning how to do some work in spreadsheets (excel, openoffice Calc, or Google Sheets) is all around a good learning experience.

A spreadsheet can be an amazingly powerful tool the more you learn how to work with it

you can reply to this thread or PM me if you want some more direct help, i would be happy to help you learn.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

I created a simple Logbook now. It just holds fields for Day and Night Hours and Fields for Totals.

I left the Module fields empty so others can enter the modules they own.

Any ideas for more fields?

LINK: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17KDrR5JiFt2eu9rutJ6lw15D6tsMliR-/view?usp=sharing

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

its a good start, if there is something you want to add, and you're not sure how just post in here and will see if we can figure it out for ya

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Any ideas for more fields?

Hello,

Like you, I too gave up on DCS' Logbook because it doesn't record the time spent on training nor multiplayer and it lacks the ability to add notes or view details about each flight .. it basically just keeps a running total of flight hours, kills and points clasified by airframe.

Your Spreadsheet seems to me too focused on flight time, as a minimum I think it needs the date/time of the flight in order to avoid the posibility of recording the same flight twice.

Also, you have to visualize how the Speadsheet will be filled .. on my case, I fill it at the end of the flight, when at the debriefing screen:

JUNNNxc.jpg

You can see that the Debriefing doesnt tell the flight hours, so it probably would be easier to input the take-off and landing times, and then the spreadsheet can substract and calculate the flight time. You could also set an arbitrary time period for night flight, say from 21:00 to 6:00 .. and then the spreadsheet could calculate how many hours of the flight were on daylight and how many were at night.

On my sheet I like also to record quantity of landings on the flight (could be more than 1) and same for carrier landings. On a notes field I record the name of the mission, just to be able to remember what it was about. I also record both the Score and the Results value.

Probably the more combat-oriented crowd would add fields for recording the kills and any ejections or deaths :)

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hello,

Like you, I too gave up on DCS' Logbook because it doesn't record the time spent on training nor multiplayer and it lacks the ability to add notes or view details about each flight .. it basically just keeps a running total of flight hours, kills and points clasified by airframe.

Your Spreadsheet seems to me too focused on flight time, as a minimum I think it needs the date/time of the flight in order to avoid the posibility of recording the same flight twice.

Also, you have to visualize how the Speadsheet will be filled .. on my case, I fill it at the end of the flight, when at the debriefing screen:

JUNNNxc.jpg

You can see that the Debriefing doesnt tell the flight hours, so it probably would be easier to input the take-off and landing times, and then the spreadsheet can substract and calculate the flight time. You could also set an arbitrary time period for night flight, say from 21:00 to 6:00 .. and then the spreadsheet could calculate how many hours of the flight were on daylight and how many were at night.

On my sheet I like also to record quantity of landings on the flight (could be more than 1) and same for carrier landings. On a notes field I record the name of the mission, just to be able to remember what it was about. I also record both the Score and the Results value.

Probably the more combat-oriented crowd would add fields for recording the kills and any ejections or deaths :)

Best regards

This sounds awesome, but it exceeds my knowledge with excel by far :P I learned today how to add cells that sum up.

But I like it to learn something new and want to trie to add a sheet which we can enter details, as you mentioned.

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

@Rudel_chw maybe you could share a screenshot of what your log looks like, or share an emptied copy/template.

At least that way we can help Rhinozherous get closer to what he is looking for

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Rudel_chw maybe you could share a screenshot of what your log looks like, or share an emptied copy/template.

At least that way we can help Rhinozherous get closer to what he is looking for

Sorry the delay, was translating the Column headings into english :) ... here is an (almost) empty template.

Currently I'm not calculating the day/night time automatically, tough it is an improvement that I've been wanting to do for a while.

I fill one row after each flight, when I'm at the debriefing screen. For multiplayer, I gather the data from Tacview recordings, which sometimes is difficult as many servers have a time delay for Tacview.

Best regards

DCS World Pilot Logbook.zip

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB