Best HOTAS system for use with DCS

I am new to DCS and flight sims in general but am thinking of purchasing the DSC F18 flight simulator for use with Oculus Rift. Which HOTAS system do you all recommend? I am looking for one that I can use with not only the DCS F18 but other DCS flight sim games as well. Also, what has been the group experience using VR with DCS flight sim games?

Thank you in advance :)

IF money is no problem: ThrustMaster warthog stick and throttle.

I second this. In fact, even if money is an issue, save up for this stick. If you can't save enough for it, you should sell your computer, get a job and stop playing flightsims anyway! ;)

For a new person still getting started in flight sims, recommending a $400 stick is a bit much IMHO. While it's the "Best" that doesn't make it the best for everyone.

To dip your feet into the HOTAS world, maybe look at the Thrustmaster T.16000M. It gives you enough buttons to control the F-18 effectivly, although not everything is in the ideal location. (Stick has one HAT, the others are ALL on the throttle). I've flown with it, and it's far better than my Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X (which is a PAIN to fly the F-18 in).

I'm personally saving up for the X56 (The revised version, grey, which apparently solved the issues of the previous version) As I like the button options better on it than on the Warthog.

Which kinda leads me to the point of recommending the $100 T.16000M, it lets you hop in and fly now, while also letting you learn what you really want in the HOTAS before dumping hundreds of dollars into it.

Great input, thank you all. Has anyone tried playing with the Oculus Rift? If so how did you find the experience?

check out the sub-thread dedicate to VR (and a thread for just Rift, Vive, WMR, etc.

Most would tell you they can't go back. People who want to rack up kills online still prefer monitors as the resolution is better.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Until there's 270 degree FOV and Plenoptic Light field HMD's it just makes my eyes cross. But then I can't stand wearing Glasses either so if you already are fine with looking through a window screen at the end of a pair of toilet paper tubes you'll probably be happy enough.

Rendering VR needs to be rethought from the current two flat renders with some parallax paradigm before VR can ever really get a leg up.

I am new to DCS and flight sims in general but am thinking of purchasing the DSC F18 flight simulator for use with Oculus Rift. Which HOTAS system do you all recommend? I am looking for one that I can use with not only the DCS F18 but other DCS flight sim games as well. Also, what has been the group experience using VR with DCS flight sim games?

Thank you in advance :)

Warthog stick for sure. Had mine what...about 7 years now, xero issues. Some have complained about it, but I havent seen what they whine about. If it died today, I would buy another.

If you are all about eyecandy, monitor.

If you want immersion and feeling like you are actually there then by all means VR.

I still gotta see both. Love VR but need to enjoy that eye candy now and then.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

VR DCS is great, but takes a heavy toll on you hardware and takes a while to figure out your best settings

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Ch product FighterStick/Pro Throttle

Marc..

we are not on 2001 anymore mate ;)

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

we are not on 2001 anymore mate ;)

I have CH as well . CH products last forever , have high-quality switches and solid axes . All this at an attractive price point . Quality never goes out of style !

I do wish CH would make a Hotas dual-throttle though . That's the one thing i do envy the Warthog guys .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Best Hotas: Complex question without more information from you OP, in terms of budget, desk/cockpit config, etc.

VR: The experience is great, but requires pretty high end CPU and GPU hardware for the best experience. If head to head PVP online multiplayer is important to you as well, you won't be quite as competitive in my experience versus trackIR users as they can move their head faster and more easily to keep track and find targets/threats. Just my opinion here, VR is more than worth it either way.

Hotas options:

The Tm Warthog is a pretty common and popular option, $500 USD ish after tax/shipping typically, used ones are around if you look and are patient too. The gimbal isn't the best, they tend to wear out in time, there are parts and fixes available here and elsewhere to deal with this sticktion issue.

Saitek makes a decent HOTAS, more plastic than metal like the Warthog, quality is "okay" but nothing spectacular IMO.

CH Products makes a dated but still good HOTAS, the throttle is so so nowadays, the Fighterstick IMO is excellent still, very light/gentle motion, far easier to move than the Warthog or anything else really.

VKB/Virpil make great new stuff, excellent high quality gimbals, the sticks are plastic, but you can use the Warthog stick in both bases to get the best of both worlds as well.

Pedals - lots of custom options out there, VKB makes the best bang/$ IMO, MFG Xwinds are great, Slaw's I'm happy with too, but they are much more $ now than when I got my sets. CH/Saitek make the usual suspects plasticy sets of pedals still too, but for a bit more $ you can get all metal VKB (virtual toe brakes only with these is the only negative).

There are "starter" options from TM and others that are great, the TM entry level HOTAS is great IMO, their TWCS throttle is fantastic for the $ as well too.

You can't really go wrong with any of the options out there now, they all have their quirks and pros/cons, but each and every one will work, and all have their camps and followers of users here on ED/DCS and at other sims. I have them all, and every HOTAS ever made pretty much which I've collected over the years, and I still can't decide day to day which I prefer or like the best, and switch around constantly. Based on that, IMO again, you won't go wrong with any of the options out there today.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

• 6 months later...

Hi all until I get some different gear... I have a CH fighterstick.

Is the thrustmaster t16000m throttle ok to match up with the CH or do you suggest paying more for the CH Pro throttle?

Can get stick and throttle for less than the price of the CH Throttle.. Was thinking could use both sticks then for other games but if the pro throttle is a lot better will get that one.

Thanks.

The thing i like about the CH throttle is that it has a lot of hats/buttons ., which allows a lot of functions without taking your hand off the throttle . The ministick works very well also . The thing i don't like about it is that the throttle axis has too little friction . This can be solved by gluing in a couple of strips of velcro .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Figured I'd give an update.

I wound up getting a used CH Fighterstick, Highly recommended.

Was going to pair with a TWCS Throttle, but wound up finding a good deal on a used warthog.

My previous recommendation stays, get the T.1600 series to learn "what you want" at a lower price point. A TWCS with Fighterstick would do anyone well I think. at a reasonable price of entry.

Is the thrustmaster t16000m throttle ok to match up with the CH or do you suggest paying more for the CH Pro throttle?

Is OK pair TWCS with Fighterstick specially now that CH Manager is practically broken under Windows 10, and this software used be CH biggest plus, due script support.

Anyway, depends on use.

CH PRO Throttle have two more buttons than Tm TWCS (16 x 14).

TWCS has two more axes than PRO Throttle (5 x 3).

TWCS has a paddle suitable for control rudder - if don't use rudder pedal or twist stick rudder, or can be mapped for send two or more keypress.

TWCS is suitable to "stiction" in their (not so) S.M.A.R.T. metal rails, PRO Throttle rail is just a loose plastic "drawer". :)

Usually Elite Dangerous/Star Citizen players prefer mini-stick under thumb (PRO Throttle), better for "6DOF flight".

And jet's pilot prefer mini-stick under index finger (TWCS) because leave thumb for simultaneous "multi-task".

Until VKB release their teaser'ed TECS, supposedly in $200-250 price range, TWCS is a good lsolution "ad-hoc".

CH F-16 Fighterstick main drawback is the low resolution in axes (8 bits - 256 "steps") what can be easily improve for 10 bits (1.024 "steps", 4 times more) with an cheap ($5) Arduino.

Edited by Sokol1_br

I use the T16000M Stick and Throttle and can't really complain about it either one at this point. The lack of bottons on the stick itself (not just the base) does kinda suck in VR but I get around that with voice attack. I do really like the throttle, it just feels good. However, like others have said, the Warthog is just awesome and I know when I get the money I will be purchasing the set.