F14 vs Eurofighter

Kev2go

:D

Read title above

Tom cat crew: "oh look a EF, Bye il save you the trouble "press ctrl+e 3 times to eject" ? :P

Ok kidding aside

So what can we do when we meet this new bird of prey in the skies. The F14 already has some challenges due to not having the sort of up to date avionics of more newer gen 4 digital teen fighters. Sure with a very disciplined pilot can still beat hornet or Viper in BFM in 1 vs 1 guns only. But in most scenarios missiles engagement will be the first order of things.

But considering the EF excellent performance characteristics and even more advanced sensors and EW suites relative to Viper and Hornet how will the tomcat fare, and can tactics be adjusted properly to have any real chance?

It seems on paper the EF will be hands down the most lethal platform for A2A compared to anything else in DCS.

Will same tactic in MP against hornets or vipers hold? IE keep distance when possible and spam AIm54's to maintain stand off range? ( since vipers and Hornets will typically you with 9x's when the get into visual without having to go maneuver directly onto your six)

or will AIm54's start becoming redundant? will ECM suite and towed decoy finally put an end to aim54 domination, finally mitigating the tomcats standoff ranges?

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

The Tomcat's missiles will still have greater range. Considering that supposedly the Captor radar is the best non-AESA radar in service, that's more or less where the Tomcat's advantages end.

My guess is it will just take a really, really good pilot to take down a Typhoon in pretty much anything.

Well if EF gets meteor missile and that EF can super cruise F-14 wont really stand a chance unles it sees it first. But as this is DCS not real life a good pilot will defeat most missiles anyway so the thread is irrelevant comes down to pilot skill.

Pretty pointless conversation.

Only if it wasn't coming to DCS.....

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Honestly it's DCS. Anything can kill anything given the right tactics and some luck. The Phoon will be a beat WVR and in BFM if he has visual on you, that is for sure. But in BVR the 54 still has more range technically, can be defeated fairly easily though, same goes for the 120C5.

A lot of it will depend on what happens with ECM modeling. The F-16/18 don't have ECM yet, I don't know if this is because it's a low priority of if ED wants to improve on what we currently have. If the Typhoon gets really advanced EW capabilities, it might end up untouchable. If we get the standard DCS stuff, the F-14 will have a chance in 1 vs 1 or free for all servers just from the raw range of the AIM-54, but an organized flight of EF-2000's will be a powerful force. Have one standing well back providing a radar picture for the rest of the flight that can supercruise in from different directions, or sneak in low if necessary to avoid AWACS.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

:D

Tom cat crew: "oh look a EF, Bye il save you the trouble "press ctrl+e 3 times to eject" ? :P

Don't worry, you won't see it. It's RCS is 2-10 times less then the one of an F-16 and it can super cruise. You'll be dodging mad dogs far before you even pick him up on radar.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Don't worry, you won't see it. It's RCS is 2-10 times less then the one of an F-16 and it can super cruise. You'll be dodging mad dogs far before you even pick him up on radar.

Was just trying to present a scenario in a humorous way.

But Really? get within 15 nautical miles ( since any longer distance aim120 shot is not gonna hit unless your flying high altitudes) before being spotted on radar.? Thats quite optimistic.

Due to lack of any complex RCS modelling in DCS and being skeptical of such implications, i guess we will have to see.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Was just trying to present a scenario in a humorous way. So dont mind it.

Nah, no worries, i was trying to be humorous as well, but it most likely didn't land to well :D

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Its 1987 vs 2003 airframe comparison.. Tomcat retired 3 years before EF was introduced! I'd say that if someone needs 16 years of tech advantage to beat the F-14 then Grumman did a hell of a great job :lol:

Edited by Belphe

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Its 1987 vs 2003 airframe comparison.. Tomcat retired 3 years before EF was introduced! I'd say that if someone needs 16 years of tech advantage to beat the F-14 then Grumman did a hell of a great job :lol:

IKR just image if we had the F14D, then we would need F22 to have any chance :D

Kidding aside the idea isn't that the community needs the EF to counter the F14, but the fact they will invariably meet in multiplayer scenarios.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

The wacky nature of most open servers indicate it is just as likely to meet BF-109's :D

The wacky nature of most open servers indicate it is just as likely to meet BF-109's :D

Lol

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽   🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png