Window is out of focus - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #1
Bearskin

Default Window is out of focus

I am getting this "Window is out of focus" message in orange writing at the top of the screen since the last major update, using the OB version with a Rift in VR. When it appears I have no input controls the only thing that works is the mouse. Clicking the mouse anywhere on the screen clears the message and everything works again. There is no pattern to it appearing, it can appear in the online server page, whilst taxiing to the runway, on a bombing run or doing training missions in single player, 1 minute or 1 hour into game time, once a night or 6 or 7 times in a night. The game still carries on when it appears but the throttle, joystick and pedals act as if they are not plugged in. I have tried ticking the full screen, unticking the full screen and changed monitor res in the options to see if it stops the message but unfortunately it doesn't. I was online with a mate last night and he said he was getting it too so I thought it was just online but I was getting the message today whilst training in the Blackshark. Its not a big deal as mouse clicking onscreen fixes it for a while but just wondering if anyone else has experienced it.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
rrohde
Veteran

You might want to make sure that no other app is running in Windows whose window sits on top of DCS. The out of focus warning is just to alert you to that fact.

I had, for example, Steam VR sitting on top of DCS and I dragged it to the side, and all is well.

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.0GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit
Glear: HP Reverb | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG PRO (center mount) | VKB Gunfighter Mk.II /w SCG-R Premium (side mount for DCS F-16)
rrohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:52 PM   #3
Bearskin

Thanks again for the reply rrhode, the only programs I have open when DCS is open are, MSI afterburner and oculus home, both are minimised to the task bar, so the only thing showing on my monitor is the DCS windowed / mirrored screen which uses the middle third of my monitor. Never seen this message before in the 7+ years I have been playing DCS.

Edit, Thinking back one thing that triggers the out of focus message is when I am in the hornet and I go to flick the FLIR switch, if I glance down to the switch and the switch is in the bottom say 20% of my vision and I press the mouse button to flick the switch, the mouse white cross disappears and the out of focus message comes on but if I look further back so the FLIR switch is in the middle of my vision, and I flick the switch, then everything carries on as normal.

Edit2 So after testing this anything I click on that is on the outer edge of my vision (out of the sweet spot) causes the OOF message.

Last edited by Bearskin; 02-27-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Bearskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
Bearskin

I finally got around to playing PC2 in VR, the first game I have played in VR since the windows OOF message appeared in DCS as I didn't know if it was DCS or Oculus. I didn't get the OOF message in PC2. I have only seen this mentioned 3 times, twice on these forums and once on Steam DCS problem forums, also my mate said he was getting it so it must not be a common problem.

Edit:
No windows is out of focus on ACC either.

Last edited by Bearskin; 03-15-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Bearskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #5
LuckyFromArma

Have you tried checking the box in Options/VR "Cursor confined to game window"?
LuckyFromArma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
Bearskin

Cursor confined is checked, I just tried it and it is the worst it has been, multiplayer server screen, clicking exit, maybe a dozen times the windows OOF message came up even when I was looking directly at the exit button, eventually it worked and I could exit. I tried with the cursor unchecked and the same thing, maybe 10-15 clicks and windows OOF every time. Might be time for a re install and hopefully that fixes it. Lost count of the times I have hit the deck strafing because the OOF message appears and no inputs work but the game carries on.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #7
CobaltUK

Your not alone and as you recognised this annoying `feature` seemed to come with an update. What's going on I would guess is that despite confine selected, somehow the cursor click cuts through and makes the desktop focus.
CobaltUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #8
Quadg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearskin View Post
Thanks again for the reply rrhode, the only programs I have open when DCS is open are, MSI afterburner and oculus home, both are minimised to the task bar, so the only thing showing on my monitor is the DCS windowed / mirrored screen which uses the middle third of my monitor. Never seen this message before in the 7+ years I have been playing DCS.

Edit, Thinking back one thing that triggers the out of focus message is when I am in the hornet and I go to flick the FLIR switch, if I glance down to the switch and the switch is in the bottom say 20% of my vision and I press the mouse button to flick the switch, the mouse white cross disappears and the out of focus message comes on but if I look further back so the FLIR switch is in the middle of my vision, and I flick the switch, then everything carries on as normal.

Edit2 So after testing this anything I click on that is on the outer edge of my vision (out of the sweet spot) causes the OOF message.
you are clicking on the windows start bar and switching focus.
even with the mouse ticked to stay in game window it will leave slightly.

drag your start bar to the side and have it vertical.
then its to far away from the game window for the mouse to reach.

or Alt-enter and go full screen. then the mouse cannot leave the edge.

but if you record you cannot use full screen.
so move the start bar.

mine has been up the side for a while. (3 years)

Last edited by Quadg; 03-20-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Quadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
Bearskin

Quadg, you are a star mate. Moved the task bar up to the side and so far no more OOF messages.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #10
eaglecash867

I get this too on my machine, but it only seems to be on the loading screen when first starting DCS in WMR. Once its done loading, the message goes away, and its all back to normal.
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1. Partridge and pear tree pending.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote