[WIP] Jester radar elevation adjustment

mattag08

Currently the radar elevation adjustment is too coarse. Jester moves the radar 16° at the smallest increment. This translates to about at 16,000' change in the center of the scan at 10 NM and a 160,000' change at 100 NM. More practical adjustments to the radar would be in 1, 5, or 10 degree increments. Similar to how Iceman can be told to change altitude in an absolute or relative way, it would be great to be able to tell Jester to set the radar to say -15, -10, -5, 0, +5, +10, +15 absolute pitch angle or to tell him to adjust the radar by -15, -10, -5, -1, +1, +5, +10, +15 relative pitch angle. This would allow us to track targets in TWS more easily and scan in RWS for a target in a specific altitude block.

Edited by IronMike

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

We have a new, better feature to recitify this which will be released with the next OB patch.

:thumbup:

Amazing. Glad to hear it!

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

I'm not sure whether this is the best place to post this, but would it also be possible to tell Jester to change Azimuth Scan and Elevation Bars?

It is something definitely worth thinking about. By azimuth scan I suppose you mean the width? 20, 40 degrees, etc?

Although this might be something which we might teach Jester to decide himself which is best. It is important to us to not give the pilot too much reach back ability so to speak, as this would defeat the purpose of having a RIO. Usually a pilot would not comment on bars etc...

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 2 months later...
No, TWS Auto is still WIP; it is a new submenu to set your elevation according to distance.

Any update on how progress of TWS auto is doing? Currently TWS is very frustrating in a multi-target environment - the 14s supposed forte.

Edited by Kula66

Any update on how progress of TWS auto is doing? Currently TWS is very frustrating in a multi-target environment - the 14s supposed forte.

We're getting there, we think we will start testing it soon.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

Would it maybe be possible to tell Jester to adjust the radar elevation directly? Say in 1° and 5° steps? That way it's kinda more intuitive.

Don't think so, I mean it would be possible of course, but that would go towards reach back function, which is always something we want to avoid. The current implementation does not include such fine tunings like vernier control, but imo is quite sufficient, I have little issues finding even choppers down low etc.

Heatblur Simulations

I think the scan elevation already works good if you tell Jester to look for x miles at y feet. The only thing that might possibly be missing is that you cannot tell him to look for distances below 15 miles. I would suggest scratching out the 150 nm option from the menu and instead replace it with something like 7 nm, because for 150 miles you barely need to adjust your radar elevation.

Another helfpul feature for the scan elevation would be a soft-lock-command for Jester to automatically track a certain unit or group in TWS. That would be great.

I think the scan elevation already works good if you tell Jester to look for x miles at y feet. The only thing that might possibly be missing is that you cannot tell him to look for distances below 15 miles. I would suggest scratching out the 150 nm option from the menu and instead replace it with something like 7 nm, because for 150 miles you barely need to adjust your radar elevation.

Another helfpul feature for the scan elevation would be a soft-lock-command for Jester to automatically track a certain unit or group in TWS. That would be great.

Below 20nm you want to use ACM modes like PAL.

ACM modes are helpful when bandits are roughly on your altitude level, but in that case you do not need to adjust the scan elevation anyway. When I am flying 10k feet above the bandit for the altitude advantage, then I need to adjust my radar to keep him on the radar for my situational awareness, which becomes almost impossible with Jester when he is closer than 10 miles. Also keeping bandits within 10 miles softlocked can be helpful for Phoenix guidances.

• 2 months later...

The new implementation of the Jester radar is awesome, but it makes the other system basically useless. Can we please get a change so Jester's High, Middle High, Middle, etc. are more useful? There are times where you want to adjust the radar elevation by degrees and not strictly by distance/altitude. If the feature was changed to have Jester adjust the elevation by smaller degree increments that would be awesome. Currently having each increment move the radar 16 degrees simply is too excessive and not useful in any realistic scenario. Also there needs to be overlap so that switch from one mode to the next does not leave holes in your sanitization plan.

The new implementation of the Jester radar is awesome, but it makes the other system basically useless. Can we please get a change so Jester's High, Middle High, Middle, etc. are more useful? There are times where you want to adjust the radar elevation by degrees and not strictly by distance/altitude. If the feature was changed to have Jester adjust the elevation by smaller degree increments that would be awesome. Currently having each increment move the radar 16 degrees simply is too excessive and not useful in any realistic scenario. Also there needs to be overlap so that switch from one mode to the next does not leave holes in your sanitization plan.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=262194&page=2

:thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• 1 month later...
Usually a pilot would not comment on bars etc...

I agree, assuming that he knows my intensions very well. Unfortunately, there is a long way to create an AI knowing what I am currently going for. This is the point where simulation differs from reality. And I am pretty sure that ther is communication like "scan wide/narrow" from pilot to RIO in real life as well.