TPOD: ATRK vs. PTRK

fitness88

Area and point track do NOT do the same. Area track tracks, as the name implies, a certrain area on the ground and will stay pointed to that area through maneuvres.

Point track tracks a hi contrast object, like a moving vehicle, and will stay focused on that.

Both are modelled.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Area and point track do NOT do the same. Area track tracks, as the name implies, a certrain area on the ground and will stay pointed to that area through maneuvres.

Point track tracks a hi contrast object, like a moving vehicle, and will stay focused on that.

Both are modelled.

Thanks for the info.

I do understand from reading what the 2 are supposed to do and will once again fly a check mission.

The TPOD reticle is in snowplow when I designate a target and also after release of the weapon. How do you get the reticle to stay stabilized on the target to verify the success of the strike?

So once I press designate that point is captured for when I decide to release the weapon and the reticle continues snowplow?

BTW is infrared (INR) mode added now? And what is for? Thanks.

INR is not infrared. INR is "Inertial", and just refers to the pod trying to stay focused to either a masked area (INR-A), or a masked point (INR-P) and both are already implemented.

The infrared marking laser is implemented, too, you have to select MARK next to OSB 9

And if, by infrared, you mean BHOT or WHOT thermal optics: they have been in since day 1 of the Litening for the Hornet.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

INR is not infrared. INR is "Inertial", and just refers to the pod trying to stay focused to either a masked area (INR-A), or a masked point (INR-P) and both are already implemented.

The infrared marking laser is implemented, too, you have to select MARK next to OSB 9

And if, by infrared, you mean BHOT or WHOT thermal optics: they have been in since day 1 of the Litening for the Hornet.

Uhh, thanks a lot for clarification man, got it now. :) Can you explain me pls, what is infrared marking laser used for? Because I`ve never used OSB9 (MARK)...

Edited by DeathAngel1

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

It's an infrared laser beam visible through NVGs, that you can use to actively point out something to troops on the ground / other planes. It is not suited to weapons guidance, which is probably the reason for your never using it, yet.

It's an infrared laser beam visible through NVGs, that you can use to actively point out something to troops on the ground / other planes. It is not suited to weapons guidance, which is probably the reason for your never using it, yet.

Еxactly! Thats why I`ve never used it, its clear now. Thanks again man.:thumbup:

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

You're welcome :)

Does anyone know if the reticle can be stabilized to your target, before and after weapon release?

Point Track mode will lock onto a vehicle and track it even if it moves, until you mask the pod and obscure the picture. The pod will track the target even after weapon release, all the way until it is destroyed and there is no longer anything to track :music_whistling:

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Point Track mode will lock onto a vehicle and track it even if it moves, until you mask the pod and obscure the picture. The pod will track the target even after weapon release, all the way until it is destroyed and there is no longer anything to track :music_whistling:

Thanks for that!

So only PTRK will offer target stabilization from designate to destroyed. I will do a flight check on that and also check out the differences as is supposed to be modelled between PTRK vs. ATRK.

As for ATRK, so it's designed not to be stabilized from designate to destroyed?

Of course we understand you must remain within the gimbles.

Just one more question - so all of the LITENING TGP functions are in DCS now?

Nope, but at least the POD is functional.

Features not modelled that should be

1) Being able to derive target coordinates from your pod.

2) Being able to use the HMCS and slew your pod to what you are looking at (would be nice in the A-10C as well.)

3)Being able to use and enter MGRS for coordinates. While this not a only a pod issue, the nav system can't take MGRS.

The A-10C has a finished Targeting pod.

Paco

As for ATRK, so it's designed not to be stabilized from designate to destroyed? Of course we understand you must remain within the gimbles.

Nope. Area Track is (supposed to be) stabilized on any stationary point on the Earth's surface, no matter what is under the crosshair. Can be stationary vehicle, building, anything NOT moving. Point Track is (supposed to) track any moving vehicle (or object, I guess based on following contrast differences), but it can track stationary vehicles too, just as Area Track can do. So in short, you can target stationary things with both, but moving objects only with Point Track (for a later Mav slave to TGT or a moving object LGB kill).

Helps any?

Thanks for that!

So only PTRK will offer target stabilization from designate to destroyed. I will do a flight check on that and also check out the differences as is supposed to be modelled between PTRK vs. ATRK.

As for ATRK, so it's designed not to be stabilized from designate to destroyed?

Of course we understand you must remain within the gimbles.

No, both area track and point track will stabilize the FLIR image and track a target from the acquisition phase through weapon delivery. The difference is in how the camera tracks the area to stabilize around.

In area track mode the FLIR pod is using both inertial sensors and image analysis of the entire field of view to point the pod consistently at the same area on the ground. If objects like people or vehicles in the FLIR image move around, the camera should not move and stay pointing at the same area.

In point track mode the pod is using image analysis to "lock on" to a single small object and follow it around wherever it may move. To accomplish this it needs to be an object with a decent contrast against the background, like a hot vehicle against the ground. You can think of point track mode as working in a similar way to an IR Maverick. You will know when the pod as acquired a successful point track when it draws a box in the center of the crosshair.

In a simple example: if you place the FLIR crosshairs over a tank in area track mode and the tank drives away, the pod will stay pointed at the place the tank used to be; if you place the FLIR crosshairs over a tank in point track mode and the tank drives away, the pod will slew to follow the tank.

If you're bombing a building, point track is typically unnecessary and an area track will be just fine, although it is sometimes possible to acquire a point track on a specific part of the building which can result in more accurate tracking.

Thanks for the info.

I do understand from reading what the 2 are supposed to do and will once again fly a check mission.

The TPOD reticle is in snowplow when I designate a target and also after release of the weapon. How do you get the reticle to stay stabilized on the target to verify the success of the strike?

So once I press designate that point is captured for when I decide to release the weapon and the reticle continues snowplow?

That would be by selecting ATRK for a static target or an area, PTRK for a moving target. Note that when you manoeuver and the target is masked (by your plane or the terrain) PTRK should try to "guesstimate" the location of the target, i.e. it will continue to "pan" in the direction and at the angular speed last known for the target so when it reappears the TPOD should reacquire it.

I'm a noob myself and this is my understanding of the Hornet's implementation of the 28, based on my years of blowing s**t up with the Warthog.

Thank you all gentlemen for those great explanations!

Now I better understand the technical dynamics of both ATRK & PTRK. Now it makes sense to me when in ATRK it seems as though I'm drifting off tgt as I'm flying but in reality the reticle is not stabilized to the tgt object but rather to the ground angled behind it and it doesn't move off that point.

As well that's why PTRK being stabilized to the tgt object appears not to move off tgt.

Also if you want more pinpoint strike on a tgt then you would use ATRK, if however you use PTRK it will try for the middle of the tgt as in a 4 storey building in PTRK would strike the 2nd floor area.

Another question:

Cage FLIR slaves to -5 degrees and un-designate slaves to -9 degrees centerline. Is there a capability to change those values of either to move the FLIR to another point and still maintain snowplow?

Thank you all again.

Edited by fitness88

WHOT/BHOT camera can be cycled by holding FLIR/FOV button for 1-2 sec. Short press zooming the area in the Box --> []

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

If as you say Trev, is correct and that Thermal doesn't use IR, then I cant help but wonder: How do you measure the temperature of something from afar. Afaik the only way is to measure the amount of heat radiation that is occuring, which is done by measuring the IR output from an object.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Hopefully we would see in future the infantry with the laser pointers set to IR mode for target designation for others with NVG's.

Sure you will reveal your position when enemy has as well NVG's, but you can quickly point enemy troops location to CAS pilot at night/low light situation and get that way good visual indicator where to attack.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.