Window is out of focus

Bearskin

I am getting this "Window is out of focus" message in orange writing at the top of the screen since the last major update, using the OB version with a Rift in VR. When it appears I have no input controls the only thing that works is the mouse. Clicking the mouse anywhere on the screen clears the message and everything works again. There is no pattern to it appearing, it can appear in the online server page, whilst taxiing to the runway, on a bombing run or doing training missions in single player, 1 minute or 1 hour into game time, once a night or 6 or 7 times in a night. The game still carries on when it appears but the throttle, joystick and pedals act as if they are not plugged in. I have tried ticking the full screen, unticking the full screen and changed monitor res in the options to see if it stops the message but unfortunately it doesn't. I was online with a mate last night and he said he was getting it too so I thought it was just online but I was getting the message today whilst training in the Blackshark. Its not a big deal as mouse clicking onscreen fixes it for a while but just wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

Z790, 13700K, RTX4080, 32 gig RAM, Warthog,  WarBRD base , Virpil Pedals, Pico 4

You might want to make sure that no other app is running in Windows whose window sits on top of DCS. The out of focus warning is just to alert you to that fact.

I had, for example, Steam VR sitting on top of DCS and I dragged it to the side, and all is well.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thanks again for the reply rrhode, the only programs I have open when DCS is open are, MSI afterburner and oculus home, both are minimised to the task bar, so the only thing showing on my monitor is the DCS windowed / mirrored screen which uses the middle third of my monitor. Never seen this message before in the 7+ years I have been playing DCS.

Edit, Thinking back one thing that triggers the out of focus message is when I am in the hornet and I go to flick the FLIR switch, if I glance down to the switch and the switch is in the bottom say 20% of my vision and I press the mouse button to flick the switch, the mouse white cross disappears and the out of focus message comes on but if I look further back so the FLIR switch is in the middle of my vision, and I flick the switch, then everything carries on as normal.

Edit2 So after testing this anything I click on that is on the outer edge of my vision (out of the sweet spot) causes the OOF message.

Edited by Bearskin

Z790, 13700K, RTX4080, 32 gig RAM, Warthog,  WarBRD base , Virpil Pedals, Pico 4

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to playing PC2 in VR, the first game I have played in VR since the windows OOF message appeared in DCS as I didn't know if it was DCS or Oculus. I didn't get the OOF message in PC2. I have only seen this mentioned 3 times, twice on these forums and once on Steam DCS problem forums, also my mate said he was getting it so it must not be a common problem.

Edit:

No windows is out of focus on ACC either.

Edited by Bearskin

Cursor confined is checked, I just tried it and it is the worst it has been, multiplayer server screen, clicking exit, maybe a dozen times the windows OOF message came up even when I was looking directly at the exit button, eventually it worked and I could exit. I tried with the cursor unchecked and the same thing, maybe 10-15 clicks and windows OOF every time. Might be time for a re install and hopefully that fixes it. Lost count of the times I have hit the deck strafing because the OOF message appears and no inputs work but the game carries on.

Your not alone and as you recognised this annoying `feature` seemed to come with an update. What's going on I would guess is that despite confine selected, somehow the cursor click cuts through and makes the desktop focus.

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

Thanks again for the reply rrhode, the only programs I have open when DCS is open are, MSI afterburner and oculus home, both are minimised to the task bar, so the only thing showing on my monitor is the DCS windowed / mirrored screen which uses the middle third of my monitor. Never seen this message before in the 7+ years I have been playing DCS.

Edit, Thinking back one thing that triggers the out of focus message is when I am in the hornet and I go to flick the FLIR switch, if I glance down to the switch and the switch is in the bottom say 20% of my vision and I press the mouse button to flick the switch, the mouse white cross disappears and the out of focus message comes on but if I look further back so the FLIR switch is in the middle of my vision, and I flick the switch, then everything carries on as normal.

Edit2 So after testing this anything I click on that is on the outer edge of my vision (out of the sweet spot) causes the OOF message.

you are clicking on the windows start bar and switching focus.

even with the mouse ticked to stay in game window it will leave slightly.

drag your start bar to the side and have it vertical.

then its to far away from the game window for the mouse to reach.

or Alt-enter and go full screen. then the mouse cannot leave the edge.

but if you record you cannot use full screen.

so move the start bar.

mine has been up the side for a while. (3 years)

Edited by Quadg

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I get this too on my machine, but it only seems to be on the loading screen when first starting DCS in WMR. Once its done loading, the message goes away, and its all back to normal.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

• 1 month later...
I get this too on my machine, but it only seems to be on the loading screen when first starting DCS in WMR. Once its done loading, the message goes away, and its all back to normal.

Yep, same here.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

By the way I am using DCS on STEAM. Steam also recently pushed a STEAM VR patch so I have no idea whether this is Steam VR or DCS issue.

I am done with it in VR (and posting about it) unless a fix comes forward from who ever it needs to come from.

• 1 month later...

Same issue here with a Reverb. I've seen the "Window out of focus" reminder before but had no issues with it until recently and controls lock up. It has happened the last 3 times that I've flown. Hopefully moving the taskbar off to the right side will fix it. Annoying.

Burner

Intel Core i7 9700 @ 5.1Ghz, Nvidia RTX 2080Ti, Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, HOTAS Hornet, Virpil CM2 Base, MFG Rudders , HP Reverb Pro

I have two other flightsims in addition to DCS . Windows is losing focus in all of them . The only things common to all are Windows (new installation) and Oculus (forced update) .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The message is telling you that the mouse is outside of the dcs game window, so another app has the focus... it goes away when dcs has the mouse has focus,

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Had the issue yesterday running latest stable , when hitting "escape" . Instantly had out of focus , and alt+tab didn't help . Hit "escape" again to get back in sim . After doing this 3-4 times , i finally was able to select an option in the 2d window .

Ran the previous OB update without issue afterwards .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

FWIW, I am getting the "Windows out of focus" message on my Samsung Odyssey+ as well. I updated Steam VR and my Nvidia drivers to the latest version and this issue remains.

Edited to add: If I closed all windows on desktop - including the Steam VR tab, then the issue went away.

Edited by Chevydriver
More details