New Clouds for DCS

Devil 505

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

main problem imo is, that they are not working. they are not synchronised so its a no-go for multiplayer. for singleplayer they are not good either. they rotate, jumping with the view from one place to another, and clouds are gone completely all of a sudden etc...yeah a working cloud system would be more than welcome. i was hoping that we hear something about it in the new year video, what they have in plans for 2019, but unfortunately weather wasnt even mentioned.

Wow to those clouds.... I want em so badly. With a sky/weather like this do we need enemies, campaigns or AI? Just get up there with 8K VR and be happy. ;)

ED should work on this fast before a civil simulator has it. It would be very superior to all sims that have old clouds.

Edited by Tom Kazansky

To see a better weather on DCS, ED need first complete to implement the Humidify effects over the simulator. When they have done, they move to implement a better weather (by wags on Alert 5 podcast).

That's good to read. The evolution of DCS is impressive so far. If you give us those skys and weather we will need a pilot animation for bowing down and praying to the ones up above ;)

To see a better weather on DCS, ED need first complete to implement the Humidify effects over the simulator. When they have done, they move to implement a better weather (by wags on Alert 5 podcast).

Well...not exactly. What he said was that the new humidity model was a foundation item. Once it was completed, they would look into other weather related items. He then quickly shifted the conversation to how this humidity system would make wing vapors, etc more realistic. I think we can count on the current weather system being around for awhile.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to mention if you have stormy weather the clouds are dark underneath, but then they instantly go white as you fly through them...

I would pay for improved weather...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

+1 here, I’ve payed for weather in other sims, I’d do it here too if they could at least make it work to sync across multiplayer from the dedicated server!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1 here, I’ve payed for weather in other sims, I’d do it here too if they could at least make it work to sync across multiplayer from the dedicated server!

yea, I never see the same weather my wingmen see, on line. lol

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Im guessing that theres a lot of old code to refactor if thats the word to use, and i just hope that it gets done. I disagree with making it payware. Otherwise it ceases to be free to play and instead becomes incredibly expensive to play. Id wish that they just stop pushing out modules and spend two years sorting out the core free game. We have enough flyables for now, we need these very old issues resolved if there is a future to look forward too.

Varying cloud and weather patterns would be a welcome evolution to DCS. Would like to have the ability to set where certain weather conditions are occurring on a map. It would add to the immersion if you could fly out of Batumi under good conditions and head north but fly into a thunderstorm.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

I’m not going to argue that DCS doesn’t need new clouds and a completely overhauled weather engine. It does, badly. And it’s an update that’s unfortunately been promised and not delivered for a bunch of years now.

At the same time it’s a little disingenuous to visually compare DCS to that other console game. Sure it has great clouds and rain and smoke, but look at the comparatively low poly count and lack of details on the aircraft and weapons, the even smaller environments all obscured by haze. Look at what passes for ‘physics’ and ‘flight modeling’ over there.

DCS and the other game have wildly different design philosophies and goals. One is 80% splashy effects and eye candy, the other uses its resources on ultra-realistic visual aircraft representation and complex physics and systems modeling. I’m perfectly ok with this.

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

I’m not going to argue that DCS doesn’t need new clouds and a completely overhauled weather engine. It does, badly. And it’s an update that’s unfortunately been promised and not delivered for a bunch of years now.

At the same time it’s a little disingenuous to visually compare DCS to that other console game. Sure it has great clouds and rain and smoke, but look at the comparatively low poly count and lack of details on the aircraft and weapons, the even smaller environments all obscured by haze. Look at what passes for ‘physics’ and ‘flight modeling’ over there.

DCS and the other game have wildly different design philosophies and goals. One is 80% splashy effects and eye candy, the other uses its resources on ultra-realistic visual aircraft representation and complex physics modeling. I’m perfectly ok with this.

I was talking about the 20 year old free one.... it also has a great dynamic campaign, and great systems modeling. Did i mention 20 years old? Free? ;)

I love DCS but there are just some really glaring issues with it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I was talking about the 20 year old free one.... it also has a great dynamic campaign, and great systems modeling. Did i mention 20 years old? Free? ;)

I love DCS but there are just some really glaring issues with it.

The way I see it, the actual sprites for the clouds in DCS at the moment are perfectly fine, but they aren't arranged convincingly. They are sort of gathered together into random puffballs. Rumor has it that ED is working on implementing humidity and pressure into the current weather engine, and will tie cloud generation into that, which should allow for more convincing and consistent propagation of cloud cover. May be wishful thinking, but hey it's a wish list after all.