A/A TACAN (Y channel) not working

VTJS17_Fire

Hi,

IIRC air assets use the Y channel for A/A TACAN, so I placed a KC-135 tanker (I know, it's not the correct aerial refueling system) and gave it the 1Y, and later the 11Y channel.

What I noticed:

1. You can't enter a TACAN channel with a 0 in front (01 for example), because the first digit in the Mirage is available from 1 to 12. There isn't a 0. Is that right?

2. Either A/A mode or the Y channel isn't working. I got the A/G TACAN signals from different airfields (but with false distance), but I couldn't get a signal from the KC-135. A/A mode on the TACAN panel checked.

Kind regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

In 1.5.3.51218.38:

- you still cannot select 0 for the tens (so you can't use channels 0-9)

- the animation is wrong when the channel is wrapping around, the digit is appearing at once instead of rotating

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

I tested A/A TACAN shortly after release, I'm not surprised it still doesn't work, but I would love to see that in the future.

A few things about A/A TACAN, though, according to my understanding of the system :

- X or Y channel have nothing to do with A/A TACAN, you can do A/A in X channel - although yes, Y channel is mostly used for A/A mode

- in A/A mode, you have to tune a frequency 63 channels apart to get the distance (and you only get the distance). So if your KC-135 is on channel 11Y, you would tune to 74Y.

- you should be able to do that with another Mirage 2000 or A-10C, in theory, and get the distance from him

- the KC-135 (IRL) AFAIK only has A/A mode, so it will only give a distance (therefore I suppose you would use A/A mode), while the KC-10 has a full TACAN with distance and bearing (I therefore suppose you would use T/R mode, not A/A mode). In DCS the KC-135 has the full TACAN while it shouldn't (although I think I saw in the editor it can be set to give only the distance).

I must admit I don't even know if it is properly implemented in the A-10C.

• 5 months later...

Just a note: TACAN is now full working, thanks to Zeus ... once more. :thumbup:

A/A TACAN and Y channel working like a charme and since the last patch, you can also set one digit channels (1 for example). Be aware: there isn't a 0 in the first dial, it's just empty.

This makes formation flying without visual more easier. :pilotfly:

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 years later...