Anti aircraft artillery behaviour

Mosler

From most of the books I have read, it was a very common to lose friendly fighters in the Pacific when trying to defend the fleet while chasing enemy planes into the AAA range of the screening ships. In fact, many friendly aircraft were often shot down when returning to the fleet WITHOUT the presence of attacking enemy a/c! I doubt that it was much different for land based installations. Communication back then was not what it is today.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I understand that. My point is that I don't believe that the AAA batteries of either side, in any of the theaters of the war ever really made an effort to suspend their fire just because friendly fighters were getting into their range. I am pretty sure that it was a fairly well understood concept that if you pursued an enemy plane into your own AAA fire, it was at your own peril.

Maybe the answer would be to have the AI not target any friendly a/c in their vicinity.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm currently reading a book, Mission Jimmy Stewart and the fight for Europe". Noted for just about every mission is the disappearance of fighters as the bombers came to the flak zones and their re-emergence after the bombers left the target area. They seemed to be quite good at it. I've seen this in other books and movies as well. it's been documented for years.

Should be nice to have the option to have AAA shooting everything or to have AAA taking care about friendly.

German Nightfighter had some kind of compromise with some local Flak. At night it was impossible to make the difference between allies and ennemy. So fighter ask for some Flak to not shoot above some altitude.

Could be nice to have those kind of option :)

• 3 weeks later...