CASE 1 pattern/landing

Stingray 537 Mongo

So, it's been 5 months now and I'm still struggling with this. For some reason I cannot seem to keep the Tomcat completely under control in the pattern. I enter the pattern at 3NM, hook down, wings swept, 350kts at 1000ft ASL. Enter the break at 1.0NM past the boat, bring the wings forward, pop the speed brakes, gear down at 200, flaps down at 180, DLC out with the flaps and the thing starts plummetting like a rock.

I roll out, apply power and trim like crazy to get on speed, but I normally don't arrest the descent until about 600ft ASL and 1.5NM astern of the boat. I turn in and am able to trap most of the time but it's a 1 or 2 wire every time I do and I'm 29-32 seconds in the groove every time too. I use my rudder pedals to stay coordinated as best I can but it's still pretty dodgy regardless of outcome (trap or swim). Am I missing something in the procedure?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

537 Mongo
CO vVF-161 Fightin' Stingrays
Check us out on the web!

Start at 800 feet, so you do not need to descend so far (it was also SOP like that). But apart from this sidenote, I think you are flying "behind" your aircraft, in terms it seesm you try catching up with it, reacting to what it does, which always comes with a delay. Rather try flying ahead of it, especially if you observe the same thing happening again, remember it. Ask yourself what counters it, and do it the next time in time or before it happens if needed. Those things are simply:

If the nose comes down, pull back on your stick. I know, how simple, how stupid. But many are reluctant to do that. Instead they relax and try to trim it out, or want it to look smooth with little stick input. Be active. if you have to, move the stick around, if you have to, be very gently and precise with it, but work it all the time and if possible, ahead of what will happen.

If the nose goes up, push forward. If you drop like a brick, add power before you do. Leveling at 600 is good. Train: flying level at 600 and on speed. Stick and throttle is your most important work, dlc and trim in between helps you work towards your goal: more sinkrate or less sinkrate, a higher AOA or a lower AOA.

Those are some very few and general tips, but I hope it helps.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thanks IronMike. I do find myself being reactive rather than proactive a lot of the time if I'm being honest about it. The only thing you said that I'm not sure about is pulling the stick back. That's the one thing I found that almost guarantees going for a swim. Given the Tomcat's affinity for loading up the wings at low speed and packing on the AoA, I've ended up either extremely slow or climbing, or both, in almost every case. I'm very conscious of not being aggressive with the stick due to there not being a computer babysitter between the stick operating ape and the control surfaces but is it that I'm still just being too aggressive with the stick in the pattern?

537 Mongo
Check us out on the web!

So, it's been 5 months now and I'm still struggling with this. For some reason I cannot seem to keep the Tomcat completely under control in the pattern. I enter the pattern at 3NM, hook down, wings swept, 350kts at 1000ft ASL. Enter the break at 1.0NM past the boat, bring the wings forward, pop the speed brakes, gear down at 200, flaps down at 180, DLC out with the flaps and the thing starts plummetting like a rock.

I roll out, apply power and trim like crazy to get on speed, but I normally don't arrest the descent until about 600ft ASL and 1.5NM astern of the boat. I turn in and am able to trap most of the time but it's a 1 or 2 wire every time I do and I'm 29-32 seconds in the groove every time too. I use my rudder pedals to stay coordinated as best I can but it's still pretty dodgy regardless of outcome (trap or swim). Am I missing something in the procedure?

You need more time on downwind to get stable.

Start at 400KIAS, this makes the following sequence occur at a manageable rate. Delay your break until you are 4nm ahead of the ship. Roll, pull, throttles idle, speed brakes out, wings to Auto at 300 KIAS, Gear down at 250, Flaps at 200, power up to arrest the decel as soon as you move the flap handle, trimming the whole time. DLC engaged when you are level downwind under control, well trimmed and just a little faster than on speed. Then descend to 600 MSL.

Memorize the sequence and practice the maneuver before attempting the rest of the approach and landing.

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

Thanks IronMike. I do find myself being reactive rather than proactive a lot of the time if I'm being honest about it. The only thing you said that I'm not sure about is pulling the stick back. That's the one thing I found that almost guarantees going for a swim. Given the Tomcat's affinity for loading up the wings at low speed and packing on the AoA, I've ended up either extremely slow or climbing, or both, in almost every case. I'm very conscious of not being aggressive with the stick due to there not being a computer babysitter between the stick operating ape and the control surfaces but is it that I'm still just being too aggressive with the stick in the pattern?

As always Victory gave a much more qualified input than me, my apologies if I was unlcear or exaggerating with "smash around" (I meant be proactive with that, but it certainly wasn't the right word). By pull back of course I meant: according to what you need, as trim will not always be fast enough to catch the nose going down, if it happens (this can be also a very gentle and small pull back on your stick and ofc you want to avoid gaining too much or any positive rate, but if you do, realize it early on and if you have to, push forward again, and ofc dont forget to trim). In short: use your stick as well (gently, but not lazy). Else: whatever Victory says (and I hope he corrects me if I am wrong at anything).

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

No worries IronMike. I never expected the dev and a real-world Tomcat driver to chime in so this is practically Christmas for me. The next chance I get to fly I'm going to try out what you both have shared and just do passes by the boat until I get comfortable. It's something I've practiced but I'm beginning to think a lot of it was negative training because I wasn't doing the right thing in the first place. Thank you both for the suggestions and for taking the time.

537 Mongo
Check us out on the web!