new night lighting tech only for upcoming maps?

twistking

Hello,

does the following statement by Chizh mean, that improvments to night lighting will only and exclusively come with new maps, or does it mean, that we will see it first on upcoming maps?

Есть. На новых картах.

Current night lighting is a big concern for me and having improvments exclusively on upcoming maps wuld f.e. hold me back from buying any "current" maps, like the persian gulf...

thanks.

If you ask Chizh in a private message he'll most likely respond. He responded to a question i had the same day in English. You're better off getting an answer directly like that. Just don't spam him and be polite. I'm sure he'll get back to you.

But please share the answer with us here if you should get one :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

But please share the answer with us here if you should get one :)

Chizh confirmed, that new night lighting tech will be in new maps only, as it requires significant changes to the maps.

Thats unfortunate and i wish current maps could still get it eventually, but at least it hints at some serious work being done to the night lighting tech.

I hope this is also only about actual terrain lights (city lights, airport lights etc.) and that other improvments would apply to all maps (aircraft nav light visibility, landings lights, strobes, sun/moon transition bug etc.)

Hopefully we will read more about it in an upcoming newsletter...

Current night lighting is a big concern for me

Which night lighting dost thou speak of? It's just pitch black currently... since the forced DS, the virtual citizens seem to be pretty good at this though:

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

Makes flying at nite a ride through hell... having some airport lighting back again would be the least I'd appreciate very much.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Which night lighting dost thou speak of? It's just pitch black currently...

I'm not a native speaker. With lighting i was referring to the quality of light or the way a scene is lit.

You are right, that one big problem is the absence of light, or more precisely the low draw distance of lights. But there are a ton of other problems, that are already discussed in other topics (dynamic range, nav light / beaon visibility, sun-moon transistion bug etc.).

With all but the draw distance issue, i don't really see how a map tech overhaul would be needed to fix those though.

I will be very sad if the old maps do not receive this night technology.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

That's what I was saying ... need to look 10 years ahead so better that all the core-engine and tech gets done ASAP so you can have a base upon which is expandable and updatable without having to redo it all and avoids situations like this.

There should be infrastructure in place now for all the HDR/WCG stuff so the textures are all ready for when that comes to the users monitors, so textures can be developed earlier and not be outdated so quick.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I will be very sad if the old maps do not receive this night technology.

Me too: Caucasus is still my favourite area to fly around in: lots of green, hills, lakes, mountains, ... <3

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Yeah , me too . I purchased PG and NTTR and have since uninstalled them . Caucasus is the only map I fly . I wonder if the Syria map will have the new lighting ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yeah , me too . I purchased PG and NTTR and have since uninstalled them . Caucasus is the only map I fly . I wonder if the Syria map will have the new lighting ?

Wow, really? PG is a brilliant map! Just not as green and 4-season-y. :-)

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

that

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Relax !!!!

Before thinking on porting the "new night lighting tech" to other maps, they have to finish it first, polish it, and when it's validated and works well, they'll be in a good position to make the estimation of how much work it's required to bring that to old maps.

Edited by cercata

This is unfortunate because the Nevada map would really shine if Las Vegas was as visible as it is in real life.

that

Just a personal preference . I could go on and on about what i do or do not like about this map or that . And I have had fun on all . But i find the Caucasus the best , and spend all my time there , so why not save the space ?

I'm certain i will try other maps in future as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Chizh confirmed, that new night lighting tech will be in new maps only, as it requires significant changes to the maps.
Glad you got an answer back!

The new lighting is probably built into the objects and would require them to repopulate the map with every object, IMO of course.

What info do we have on this new technology? What can we expect?

Im curious if this brings about new game engine improvements.

Can it be considered "game engine" improvements if it's not going to be available for everything the game engine's running on?

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

It's going to be beyond disappointing if this ends up being true. I would argue that getting the existing maps up to the standards that people expect should be far more important than putting out new maps. Like they should shelve any work on new maps if they really are saying they can't\won't retro update the lighting for existing maps. To me this would be like them coming out and saying, "hey, we can't get the ground radar working with the hornet so we're just going to leave it off the hornet but make sure you buy the falcon because we're putting it in there!". Again, I'm going to be wildly disappointed if new maps start coming out with updated tech that the old maps don't get.

ED certainly needs to figure out sooner than later how to reasonably easily keep there older maps in line with maps coming down the line for sure. I can only imagine that this new lighting system can only be implemented with a major map rework...like we had tih Caucasus 2.5. So, i would imagine it will come to all there maps eventually, but it might take several years...so to speak when the next map overhaul for NTTR and PG etc. is due.

It's going to be beyond disappointing if this ends up being true. I would argue that getting the existing maps up to the standards that people expect should be far more important than putting out new maps. Like they should shelve any work on new maps if they really are saying they can't\won't retro update the lighting for existing maps. To me this would be like them coming out and saying, "hey, we can't get the ground radar working with the hornet so we're just going to leave it off the hornet but make sure you buy the falcon because we're putting it in there!". Again, I'm going to be wildly disappointed if new maps start coming out with updated tech that the old maps don't get.

+1 Very well said. I am still waiting for planned features that were mentioned way back when I bought NTTR at release...

I simply won't buy new maps until old ones are updated. Don't need them anyway, I like Caucasus and Persian Gulf :-):pilotfly:

Same here.

ED certainly needs to figure out sooner than later how to reasonably easily keep there older maps in line with maps coming down the line for sure. I can only imagine that this new lighting system can only be implemented with a major map rework...like we had tih Caucasus 2.5. So, i would imagine it will come to all there maps eventually, but it might take several years...so to speak when the next map overhaul for NTTR and PG etc. is due.

+1 Could not have said it any better...hopefully ED is listening to all of this.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

BTW , i asked Chizh if the Syria map would have the new lighting :

"Syria make externalists. I know nothing about this map."