Question about Inlet ice warning,

MivwTaupos

The warning flashed up on the DDI shows that there is an accumulation of ice, or the conditions exist that ice can form, inside the air intakes.

Any build up of ice can effect the airflow to the engines, causing loss of thrust at best.

Flipping the "ENG ANTI ICE" to on will deal with that.

Same goes for the Pitot heat, putting that ON (or leave it in AUTO) will stop ice build up on the small ports on the probes that sense your airspeed, so giving you reliable airspeed information.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

In addition to using the Anti-Ice switch, NATOPS also recommends to exit out of icing altitude and reduce engine RPM, if practical.

Edited by Harker
corrected: descend to exit

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Any build up of ice can effect the airflow to the engines, causing loss of thrust at best.

I've never noticed any icing effects in DCS though, apart from the warning message on the DDI. Are such effects even implemented?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Keep in mind I'm speaking of real life, and not necessarily what's modeled in the sim currently.

The switch and the probe that senses the icing condition are not related. The sensing element resides in the left inlet, and is nothing more than a probe. If there is ice build-up on the probe, it triggers the advisory light. That's basically it's only function/purpose in life. Ice present, light on, ice no present, light off.

The switch controls the inlet probes on the front of the motor. Turning the switch on, directs air across the probe to raise inlet temp at the motor's mouth. That doesn't effect the temperature of the air around the sensing probe, or the probe itself. The advisory light is just there to let you know you should turn the switch on. The switch being on, doesn't really effect whether the light stays on or goes out, that's dependent on the icing condition.

In DCS, it's basically partially simulated, and partially not simulated correctly. The light coming on is directly tied to air temp and altitude, it leaves out other key variables like the presence of moisture in the air, which is required of course, to make ice.

Edited by Rainmaker

In addition to using the Anti-Ice switch, NATOPS also recommends to descend out of icing altitude and reduce engine RPM, if practical.

My understanding of icing in aircrafts is that it happens when temperature, moisture and other factors combine in a certain area. But it can be lower, for example due to clouds between Angels 5 and 15, and at higher altitudes you are clear. The problem is that we don’t really have weather forecast in DCS so it’s difficult to know if the answer is to climb or descend. Are the aircraft even equipped with leading edge anti ice systems? How far is icing modeled? So far I have only seen this light in the Hornet, nothing more. Not even sure what happens if you ignore the warning...

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

I had Ice form warning going to 40k or about (above conning) and probably mission or server time set to not summer. More than ones but rare.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I've never noticed any icing effects in DCS though, apart from the warning message on the DDI. Are such effects even implemented?

in the A-10c i have seen the pitot tube freeze up and cause my indicated air speed go to zero and nearly getting me in a stall as the auto pilot tries to do its thing so icing is in DCS how much on the F-18 im not sure

My understanding of icing in aircrafts is that it happens when temperature, moisture and other factors combine in a certain area. But it can be lower, for example due to clouds between Angels 5 and 15, and at higher altitudes you are clear. The problem is that we don’t really have weather forecast in DCS so it’s difficult to know if the answer is to climb or descend. Are the aircraft even equipped with leading edge anti ice systems? How far is icing modeled? So far I have only seen this light in the Hornet, nothing more. Not even sure what happens if you ignore the warning...

True, you just need to exit the icing area. I should have written that, really. As for that particular warning having any effect in-game, I'm not sure.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

in the A-10c i have seen the pitot tube freeze up and cause my indicated air speed go to zero and nearly getting me in a stall as the auto pilot tries to do its thing so icing is in DCS how much on the F-18 im not sure

Yes, pitot icing is simulating in quite a number of DCS aircraft. But I'm asking about engine/inlet icing.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

It seems to be modeled on the Mi-8

Isn't that rotor icing (not engine icing) that's modeled there?

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well I have had engine vibration warnings followed by either the loss of an engine or an engine fire. Basically the consequences I have seen are the same as the dust ingestion damage. However it has been a while since I have had it happen because the ice protection is automatically engaged on the right engine and coincides with a warning which alerts me to turn on the protection for the left engine.

I will have to test it next time I fly her.

I don't know how accurate that is. I read a bit about pitot tubes after the sadly-famous crash or AF447 (Rio-Paris). A pitot tube is giving you the dynamic pressure by substracting the static pressure from the total pressure (which allows calculation of the relative air speed). The total pressure is measured at the front (in the airflow) and the static pressure at the side (outside of the airflow). Icing usually will only occur at the front of the pitot tube, which means you will only get the static pressure back. In simple terms: the speed is only based on altitude (higher altitude = higher -false- speed reading).

But it should not be zero, and there is usually a backup. Of course, this is in commercial aviation, I'm not sure if it's the same in the A-10C but it's a subsonic plane so could be.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

I don't know how accurate that is. I read a bit about pitot tubes after the sadly-famous crash or AF447 (Rio-Paris). A pitot tube is giving you the dynamic pressure by substracting the static pressure from the total pressure (which allows calculation of the relative air speed). The total pressure is measured at the front (in the airflow) and the static pressure at the side (outside of the airflow). Icing usually will only occur at the front of the pitot tube, which means you will only get the static pressure back. In simple terms: the speed is only based on altitude (higher altitude = higher -false- speed reading).

But it should not be zero, and there is usually a backup. Of course, this is in commercial aviation, I'm not sure if it's the same in the A-10C but it's a subsonic plane so could be.

It depends on the pitot design and failure mechanism. Some pitots have drains. If the front of the pitot blocks but the drain remains clear, you'll only have static pressure reading and the ASI will drop to 0. If there's no drain, or it blocks too, then yes you'll get the problem as you describe.

Not sure which is true for the Hornet though.

Edited by Flamin_Squirrel
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

A little bit of an old topic, but I have a question about it. Does it have any negative impact turning it on? I usually do it every time I see in the mission briefing that temperatures are low (below 0). Should I wait for the warning to turn on? 

11 minutes ago, Assamita said:

A little bit of an old topic, but I have a question about it. Does it have any negative impact turning it on? I usually do it every time I see in the mission briefing that temperatures are low (below 0). Should I wait for the warning to turn on? 

Not at all, no real negative impact. In RL there ‘can’ be an issue if you leave heat on whilst on the pan not going anywhere, can be hazardous for ground personnel as they get extremely hot. 
Even quite warm temps at ground level can have icing conditions aloft, so you don’t have to wait for near zero before considering pitot heat.

Edited by G.J.S

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

5 hours ago, CBStu said:

When I get that warning I turn both heaters on and after several minutes the warning goes away.

Realistically, having it on or off shouldnt matter as far as the light is concerned. The detection probe is forward in the intake, and is just a probe that sits there and monitors ice buildup. 

Standard practice in the civilian world is pitot heat always on, and engine anti-ice on when in visable moisture and the ambient temperature is 10⁰ or less. If you want to be pro active, you could follow this.

NATOPS however seems to indicate they should be off untill the warning illuminates, then switch them both on.

As previously mentioned, extended pitot heat usage on the ground may cause some damage, as without airflow they can overheat.

Engine anti-ice should produce a small but noticable effect. As it uses bleed air from the 4th stage compressor, it should result in a slightly hotter engine temp and slightly higher RPM% for a given thrust setting. Whether this is modeled in DCS I don't know. 

Edited by norman99
  • Like 2