Status of F-14B damage model

Magot

Hi all,

I checked DM model F-14 - damaging external model as is seen in this video, also I tried test damage model in-game - and I find out that the damage model is not finished.

Time from 9:06

Is there any plan by Heatblur to finish this thing?

Edited by Magot

As the huge text message in the video at around 11:10 says, there will be a completely new damage modell comming to DCS. It will first be available for the WW2 aircraft, but it will come to the jets eventually.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The base code needs to be written and made available by ED before 3rd parties can use it.

It's the same deal as stuff like the new missile API, the air to ground radar (HB had to write their own from scratch for the Viggen/Tomcat), or the Supercarrier interaction.

No, it's not.

Its only about new 3d parts on external model, counting bullets in hitboxes, changes in FM (how plane fly without missing part) stand next things in coherency like damaged gears physics etc ..

Simply, the F-14 module in this state is unfinished.

Edited by Magot

Right, because 8 months ago that new damage model was supposed to be finished already so Heatblur deferred in order to save having to do the same work twice.

The F-14 is still in Early-access so yes, it is still unfinished.

I genuinely feel bad for Heatblur having to constantly sit on their hands waiting for this or that core thing to get done by ED. Especially when it just doesn't look like that stuff is ever getting done.

The F-14 module won't be finished at the very earliest till March 2021 they said and thats assuming they want to stick to that scheme. Much of the F-14B is already done and the F-14A is going to drop at latest before the end of August and aside from bug fixing and tweaking as it can't carry bombs and the A2A stuff for the F-14B is basically finished (at least as well as they can with ED doing things like new missile APIs ect ect) the F-14A will be almost done right out the gate.

Now of course there is going to be other features like Forestall and the A-6, KA-6 AI between now and March 2021 they'll work on but for the most part the next ~6 months for the F-14 will probably be tweaking and improving the DM and FM as HB plans to try and add working, progressive fire damage (which would put it head an shoulders above the rest if they pull it off) and better Damage in general.

The F-14 module won't be finished at the very earliest till March 2021 they said and thats assuming they want to stick to that scheme. Much of the F-14B is already done and the F-14A is going to drop at latest before the end of August and aside from bug fixing and tweaking as it can't carry bombs and the A2A stuff for the F-14B is basically finished (at least as well as they can with ED doing things like new missile APIs ect ect) the F-14A will be almost done right out the gate.

Now of course there is going to be other features like Forestall and the A-6, KA-6 AI between now and March 2021 they'll work on but for the most part the next ~6 months for the F-14 will probably be tweaking and improving the DM and FM as HB plans to try and add working, progressive fire damage (which would put it head an shoulders above the rest if they pull it off) and better Damage in general.

Why do you think the A or the A we are getting can't drop bombs? The B model we have is mid-late 90s vintage apparently, and the impression was the A will be similar vintage. They were absolutely dropping bombs and even LGBs at the time.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

As will have same A2G capabilities as the B, IRIAF version wont have either TCS or Lantirn and a restricted A2G payload.

As for the damage model: the internal damage model is very complete, and likely we will not touch on it much anymore.

The external damage model is still a bit work in progress however. Parts of it are just of cosmetic nature, for example if the radar is hit, like you see in the video, it will stop working 100%, but it will not show damage on the outside. How much we can allocate to purely cosmetic parts we will have to see.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

As will have same A2G capabilities, minus Lantirn.

Purely out of curiosity, what made you guys change your minds? Earlier on it was stated it'd have the Lantirn. I don't mind one way or another, just curious why it was cut if you're down to sharing

Purely out of curiosity, what made you guys change your minds? Earlier on it was stated it'd have the Lantirn. I don't mind one way or another, just curious why it was cut if you're down to sharing

Agreed, is there not a way to use ED's date system to simply restrict the loadouts by dates in the mission editor if desired? Many of us would still like the late As as used in the GWOT and want to do as much of that as we can since we are not getting the later JDAM capable Tomcats. It seems allowing for restricting the pod itself in the ME or servers allows us more flexibility for historical periods.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

My mistake, A will have lantirn and TCS, IRIAF version wont have either.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

Agreed, is there not a way to use ED's date system to simply restrict the loadouts by dates in the mission editor if desired? Many of us would still like the late As as used in the GWOT and want to do as much of that as we can since we are not getting the later JDAM capable Tomcats. It seems allowing for restricting the pod itself in the ME or servers allows us more flexibility for historical periods.

My mistake, A will have lantirn and TCS, IRIAF version wont have either.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

The external damage model is still a bit work in progress however. Parts of it are just of cosmetic nature, for example if the radar is hit, like you see in the video, it will stop working 100%, but it will not show damage on the outside. How much we can allocate to purely cosmetic parts we will have to see.

Thanks for the answer.

Nice to hear! :thumbup: Will you also remove the external fuel tank mounts from the IRIAF version since those don't have them?

Possibly, we were just discussing this the other day and haven't made a final decision yet, atm it is likely. don't take it as 100% for now though, pls.

Heatblur Simulations

Hi all,

I checked DM model F-14 - damaging external model as is seen in this video, also I tried test damage model in-game - and I find out that the damage model is not finished.

Time from 9:06

Is there any plan by Heatblur to finish this thing?

14 SAMS and still undamaged ?

No wonder you need 2 slammers to get it down. Has nothing to do with the slightly larger size of the aircraft.

Edited by Csgo GE oh yeah

Can you like stop derailing these threads? Also, just fyi, I rarely need two AIM-120s to take out an F-14, just saying.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

"Still flying, full avionics"... "I'm smoking, but that's it"

6:40 & 8:40: "No radar avionics"

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg