[CANNOT REPLICATE] Losing bugged track when MFD auto-scales

I REALLY have problems with the auto-scaling of the MFD because:

- it makes you lose a lot of SA when the scale becomes smaller (other attacking aircraft might be just outside the 10nm or even 5nm scale range!)

- When the range scales down to 20 nm, it's already impossible to bug a head on target because the track is flying over the MFD too fast

However, (i think after patch? ) in many cases when the MFD auto-scales it also throws away your bug.

It's almost like the radar gimball stops follwoing after the MFD autoscales , i'm not sure.

Here's a video of it happening, the quality is bad because i had to zoom in in Vegas Pro (VR record) , but you can see it happening @ 1:43

https://youtu.be/tj2EsFr9atY?t=100

Am i doing something wrong ?

As for the first complaint, again, it autoscales IRL, so there isnt anything thats gonna be done. In the video clip, are you in RWS or TWS? If you are in RWS SAM, SAM has serious scan centering issues, which is why I dont use it (or RWS) and instead use TWS.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

If you use TWS to engage just one target at a time like you would use SAM its perfectly fine

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

It's in RWS

TSW is unusable for me in it's current form/state :(

Auto-scaling in RWS-SAM can be a p.i.t.a., currently. I agree with you on that point, Csgo GE oh yeah. You need to be quick in that mode and you will most likely need to lock and bug the target a second or even a third time. This mode is currently very unreliable because of severe scan-centering problems as correctly described by dundun92. And when you loose lock you need to have a look at your upper and lower radar elevation settings. These will most likely be off quite a bit to where your target actually is in space. Reset them quickly to the correct values in combination with desired radar range. If you are quick enough and you understand what is happening with your radar, you will be able to get safe follow-up locks on your desired target 9 out of 10 times. I am an old man and I can do it so you might be able to perform even better. Always keep in mind that every radar system is only as good as its operator.

And as dundun92 stated concerning the use of TWS this system is also pretty capable of a successful engagement (yes, PVP) if you understand what is happening with your target in relation to your aircraft. TWS on the APG-68v5 has problems with all aspect situations. This is correct behavior. The problem is that in its current DCS iteration it tends to loose lock a little too early when it clearly shouldn´t but you can overcome this with clever maneuvering. Also, trackfile building seems a little slow to me. But I do not have access to the relevant data anymore and I can´t remember how quick exactly this worked so I have no proof for my claim which I could present here. Otherwise TWS is absolutely workable.

Until we see a patch for the Viper that addresses all these issues I can only suggest you to just train harder on the F-16C and try to understand what is happening with the radar. Train on a popular and chaotic public A/A server. If you get shot down don´t give up. Just train harder. You will get better. Currently, the F-16C is the most lethal A/A platform in DCS in my opinion. Yes, the Viper has some really unpleasant bugs but it can dominate other aircraft pretty easily and this will be your reward when you get to master her.

Edited by Tango3B

Yes it doesn't lose the bug when switching to another scale in TWS .

In fact, yesterday i was able to actually engage two targets at once in TWS without huge problems.

It did not try to lock on friendlies or enemies that were outside my radars range/range of attack.

It was on a busy server to, so that's good i guess.

Maybe they've altered something in the last patch ?

Yes it doesn't lose the bug when switching to another scale in TWS .

In fact, yesterday i was able to actually engage two targets at once in TWS without huge problems.

It did not try to lock on friendlies or enemies that were outside my radars range/range of attack.

It was on a busy server to, so that's good i guess.

Maybe they've altered something in the last patch ?

See, it IS getting better with more practice. And no, the last patch did not include any changes to the APG-68v5. At least, the patchnotes do not indicate any changes. It is just you getting better.

Had the following situation today:

4 enemies at 30-40nm, flight lead close by.

Went to TWS with 40nm set up and pressed right and cycled. First it went for my flight lead and bam .. auto scaled to 5nm and even when pressing TMS right to get the other guys, it would stay at 5nm.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

This bug was fixed a month ago but seems to be back.

Most commonly in my specific setup it happens when the bandits are 80nm out and you bug one the target gets dropped when the MFD auto scales to 40nm and the radar cursor resets to the middle of the display.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

This bug was fixed a month ago but seems to be back.

Most commonly in my specific setup it happens when the bandits are 80nm out and you bug one the target gets dropped when the MFD auto scales to 40nm and the radar cursor resets to the middle of the display.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

This bug is back, indeed.

And I must say I am little surprised this bug report was recently marked as "cannot replicate". I think we described the rather obvious problem fairly well here concerning what happens and when it happens. And people talked about it happening in other posts, as well. What really irks me the most is that apparently no effort in even reading through this stuff has been taken by an ED Mod.

Currently you cannot fly a single engagement in RWS-SAM mode without this auto-scaling bug (most likely related to severe scan-centering problems) happening. It is so easy to replicate, come on. Get online, fly a PvP sortie and use RWS-SAM mode. Watch what happens. This bug is really hard to miss, guys. The same goes for the aforementioned problems with TWS behavior.