[CAN NOT REPRODUCE]Laser ranges "through" buildings

Track attached.

Towards the end two JDAMS released in TOO mode, buildings designated in point track (to ensure cursor centered and consistent) while firing the laser. Both bombs overshot their target, as if the laser is going "through" the building, similar to what you would expect when designating a target without using the laser at all.

hornet_laser_issue.trk

• ED Team

Hi

Sorry I dont think the track replayed correctly, your aim point seemed to be off.

Not sure why you are using laser for JDAMS?

I tried to reproduce myself and all seems ok.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Laser ranging is required for accurate GPS coords from the TPOD, else you are getting angle rates without contrast lock.

In the track, I engage a a "Boiler House" object using PTRK, make sure the LTD/R is set to "Trigger", hold the trigger for lasing and TDC depress. I release a JDAM in TOO on this target to see the spot designated, and the bomb overshoots on both "boiler house" type objects.

I know the laser is going "through" the targets, because I re-flew the mission, waited to designate until I was DIRECTLY over the boiler house, TDC depressed, then turned around 7nm out and shacked the target near dead center.

Basically, the TPOD is designating like the A10 TGP without lasing, taking only pure slant from the aircraft to ground aimpoint regardless of intervening objects that the laser should be picking up.

In Wags videos he says tdc depress should do it. I used the trigger after I saw that wasn't working. I'll make a more concise track in a bit.

Yeah, I just re-watched it. But there are some interesting details in that scene:

- LST/R is not shown during that process, so I assume the laser wasn't even armed?

- At least shortly during/after TDC depress I would expect LST/R to be shown _and_ flashing as indication that the laser was doing something

- the range shown was updated continously as the aircraft came closer to the target. I assume, this is just the calculated (slant?) range, probably based on the initial laser ranging. In the A-10, the aircraft utilizes the digital map data to calculate the slant range, even without lasing first. What I try to say here: just because a range is displayed does not mean that lasing must have happened initially.

So, my bet is on "still WIP" here. Slant range calculation + display works, but the initial laser ranging is probably not implemented, yet.

I tried to reproduce myself and all seems ok.

The calculated range should be quite the same if I measure the bottom or the top end of a larger target, right? Perhaps the slant range is a few ft shorter at the top, but that is negligible here. The follwing pictures were taken when in Active Pause (so that the overall range does not change).

attachment.php?attachmentid=239947&stc=1&d=1592252508

The TPOD is telling us, that the slant range difference is 0.2 nm between top and bottom of the water tower!? This is rather the difference between the bottom of the target and the point on the ground behind it.

(Also, after PTRK-->OPR, when the TPOD slews to a new position, designated using the offset cursor, the range information is not updated. Only after moving the reticle a bit, the range info is updated. But this is probably a different issue.)

1511193507_tpodranging.thumb.gif.3ce041f94fc3d61e4e3954ac05b856e6.gif

(Also, after PTRK-->OPR, when the TPOD slews to a new position, designated using the offset cursor, the range information is not updated. Only after moving the reticle a bit, the range info is updated. But this is probably a different issue.)

If you designate by using TDC Depress with the TPOD, moving the reticle in ground stabilized mode (OPR) will continously update the designation. So here, you moved it and lost whatever designation you had made prior in PTRK. There's still an inconsistency, since the tower is 13.8NM away, so it looks like the offset cursor didn't update the range correctly when you designated the bottom of the tower.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Newy, realized that track wouldn't work because I hadn't updated to the latest OB. I have done so now and re-created the issue in more concise format.

In track #1, I PTRK the boiler house and designate somewhere around 9-10nm out, making sure LTD/R is flashing when I do it using trigger. This bomb falls way long. As I overfly the target, I make another designation when directly over the target, extend, turn 180, drop on this new designation, shack.

To eliminate direction of flight as a factor, track #2 shows an attack on the same target. I PTRK the target, and wait until directly over the target before designating, turn 180 and extend, then turn 180 to around the first attack heading. I drop when in zone. Shack again.

Since the test is run with GBU38, and can be repeated over and over, I have to conclude either laser ranging isn't implemented or isn't functioning properly.

EDIT:

Disregard in my last post where I say designation point is updated on slew. This was one of the changes in the most recent 2 patches and I hadn't observed it yet.

hornet_laser_issue_1.trk

hornet_laser_issue_2.trk

Edited by LastRifleRound

I saw this before. However, why was this tagged can not reproduce and I was asked for another track if it's not released yet? There are 4 other posts in the main forum about this directly and indirectly. I think it would help if this is true that this post tag be updated to "later in EA"