Need help. F-15c landings.

ny3d1

I am not a veteran but I've been flying PC sims since Falcon 3.0 (Spectrum Holobyte) My problem is not landing but keeping the darn bird on the runway after touch down. I currently use the "Twist" motion on joystick as rudders, but I have no problems at all with the other aircrafts. Any tips or advice is app. Enjoy your Holiday season.

I'm guessing your doing it right by holding her nose high at 20 aoa when landing aerobraking aircraft, then slowly letting the nose drop down.

If your having problems once the front wheel comes down, you can "hold down" L ALT + Q to disengage the nose wheel steering.

I have this key bound to one of my HOTAS buttons, I also have the extra high degree steering bound to for those tight places.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I am not a veteran but I've been flying PC sims since Falcon 3.0 (Spectrum Holobyte) My problem is not landing but keeping the darn bird on the runway after touch down. I currently use the "Twist" motion on joystick as rudders, but I have no problems at all with the other aircrafts. Any tips or advice is app. Enjoy your Holiday season.

I can only imagine how sensitive this twisting can be, so you can add a little curve to it (controls>axis>axis tune for the rudder axis) even like 40 and see how it goes for you.

Otoh Eagle is able to do differential braking so you can bind two keys to left/right wheelbrakes on the keyboard or your HOTAS and try with that.

I myself use rudder control bar on my thottle (TFligthX) with curve 40 and gently steer while both brakes are applied.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I'm guessing your doing it right by holding her nose high at 20 aoa when landing aerobraking aircraft, then slowly letting the nose drop down.

If your having problems once the front wheel comes down, you can "hold down" L ALT + Q to disengage the nose wheel steering.

I have this key bound to one of my HOTAS buttons, I also have the extra high degree steering bound to for those tight places.

Hey !! It works. Need a little practice but Ill get it. Thanx my friend.

This video has a flaw, the devil's in the details.

Landing well is a procedure that is followed accurately. It's not a 'uh, good enough' type thing - and here's the typical landing procedure for the F-15 (you'll spot the issue with the video as well after knowing this). Note that I say typical because there are other procedures for specific circumstances/results (such as minimum ground run):

The typical straight-in has these components:

3 deg glide slope (your velocity vector right in the middle or just SLIGHTLY below the middle between the 0 and -5 pitch ladder markers), and at the same time it must be on the runway threshold.

21 units of AoA - not 20, not 22, stabilize on 21.

Your airspeed will be automatically correct for a flaps/no flaps approach if you meet the two above requirements. Your job is to achieve those parameters and then maintain them.

So, how do you get yourself on the right GS etc? Let's talk about how to plan it.

Your 3deg GS is 300'/nm. So, if you start your approach at 5nm, you should be at 1500' above the runway elevation.

You want to navigate so that you're lined up with the runway BY 5nm, and you want to approach from below your planned GS intercept - so approach at say, 1200' so by 4nm you're on it.

At this point, you're hopefully no faster than 250kts (plan this, don't use airbrakes etc. Slow and steady, you should already be approaching correct AoA etc).

Once you stabilize on GS and AoA, use throttle to control altitude - your stick should be trimmed out so that you don't need to do much with it.

When you see ground-rush (ground appears to be speeding up) near the runway threshold, it's time to execute your flare - move your aimpoint (flight path indicator) from the runway threshold to the desired landing point in the black area/piano keys of the runway. Don't touch the throttle yet.

After this, once over the threshold or as required, transition your flight path indicator just just below the horizon line on the HuD for a smooth touchdown. At this point you can idle the throttle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

use throttle to control altitude

I personally don't like the wording here. You can control GS, speed and vertical speed with throttle - not exactly altitude.

I would also add: after touchdown hold the nose as high as 13° - not 10 like in the video.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria