VR Updates - 30 NOV 18 News

DerekSpeare

Thanks to ED for seeing the potential VR has to offer! Today's news says this:

Virtual Reality Update

We see VR as an amazing tool to enjoy DCS World and the future of PC gaming for many. To make DCS World even better, we’ve been working on some great VR improvements that include:

• Optimized VR performance.
  • Touch control that allows direct finger interaction with cockpit controls.
  • Touch control to allow the right and left Touch controllers to act as stick and throttle when positioned correctly in the virtual cockpit and holding down the middle-finger button.

These will provide a much more immersive VR experience, particularly for those flying warbirds and other aircraft that do not require HOTAS controls.

:thumbup:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3706594&postcount=170

And if anyone from ED is reading, can we get a Label System that scales the size of the text as the object moves from far to near? I can't remember what sim from days gone by did this, but one of them did this and it was a great feature!

...so now I'm off to get the update... :joystick::pilotfly:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

What I wonder is... What will they use for the touch system? Leap motion? Or a custom made device?

I would love to be able to operate switches with my fingers...

Envoyé de mon SM-G955F en utilisant Tapatalk

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

What I wonder is... What will they use for the touch system? Leap motion? Or a custom made device?

I would love to be able to operate switches with my fingers...

I would assume Oculus Touch controllers as they wrote 'Touch' with a capital T.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

I would assume Oculus Touch controllers as they wrote 'Touch' with a capital T.
Certainly not as they talk about touching the switches with our fingers. Not with a controller.

This is likely something like leap motion.

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

I definitely think it's the Touch controllers since you can extend some individual fingers depending on what buttons you press and what not.

Maybe there's compatibility with other products like captoglove or leap motion but the most common product out there must be the Touch controllers (with again like stated, capital T ;])

Certainly not as they talk about touching the switches with our fingers. Not with a controller.

This is likely something like leap motion.

Touch control to allow the right and left Touch controllers to act as stick and throttle when positioned correctly in the virtual cockpit and holding down the middle-finger button.

Sure sounds like Oculus Touch Controllers to me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I definitely think it's the Touch controllers since you can extend some individual fingers depending on what buttons you press and what not.

Maybe there's compatibility with other products like captoglove or leap motion but the most common product out there must be the Touch controllers (with again like stated, capital T ;])

Yep extending index finger is a piece o cake.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm so excited by this news.

I really like using touch in vr in x plane 11, for me personally not having to set up hotas although i still like both methods it's great to have the choice. I think it will work better for the warbirds & older planes. This was not a feature i expected tbh.

Better performance is also super exciting.

I hope they also try & improve night flying in vr personally i'm struggling to get it right.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

Is this performance boost supposed to be in this next update? The wording seems confusing to me, like its for future updates.
Your right, very confusing, indeed!:helpsmilie:

Also, this discussion about Touch with a capital T or not should not be necessary, someone should be able to give us competent answers.

But I sure like to hear about their dedicated support for VR. At least one of their devs must have a Vive or Rift...:smartass:

for me the most important part is about improving performances

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Your right, very confusing, indeed!:helpsmilie:

Also, this discussion about Touch with a capital T or not should not be necessary, someone should be able to give us competent answers.

But I sure like to hear about their dedicated support for VR. At least one of their devs must have a Vive or Rift...:smartass:

It is obvious they are talking about the Oculus Touch Controllers. They are already supporting them to some extent now, and they are expanding on that. Hopefully if they are happy with what they are doing they will expand it to other popular controllers, like the Vive Wands.

Don B

Dunno about Touch support since I won't use it for lack of tactile feedback and accuracy (I like the mouse). I looked for an update when running DCS today but nothing :/ Scratching head about it...

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I am curious how they will handle rotational dials and such with the touch. I feel like the big struggle at this point, has been taking what was originally a mouse cursor in 2d space overlayed on your monitor, that would contextualize based on the 3d object it was pointing at, and turning it into allowing for a 3d object to actually interact with the cockpit. If this has been done, allowing for the VR hands in the cockpit to actually interact with buttons, switches, and dials, as opposed to being a mouse pointer, then I think the possibility for stuff like Leap Motion and CaptoGlove are there. Even if it would take a 3rd party emulation to trick DCS into thinking it was using a Touch controller, it would be there.

If this happens, I'll be buying a leap motion for sure. You'll still have to look at switches as they aren't physically there, but it will make start up and stuff like MFD's so much easier.

What I'd like to see, is a more VR friendly font in the TAD or moving map displays. Currently, the green just gets all jumbled up with the background. I turned the brightness down and I was able to make it out, but with the map showing, it's just a mess.

I am curious how they will handle rotational dials and such with the touch. I feel like the big struggle at this point, has been taking what was originally a mouse cursor in 2d space overlayed on your monitor, that would contextualize based on the 3d object it was pointing at, and turning it into allowing for a 3d object to actually interact with the cockpit. If this has been done, allowing for the VR hands in the cockpit to actually interact with buttons, switches, and dials, as opposed to being a mouse pointer, then I think the possibility for stuff like Leap Motion and CaptoGlove are there. Even if it would take a 3rd party emulation to trick DCS into thinking it was using a Touch controller, it would be there.

If this happens, I'll be buying a leap motion for sure. You'll still have to look at switches as they aren't physically there, but it will make start up and stuff like MFD's so much easier.

What I'd like to see, is a more VR friendly font in the TAD or moving map displays. Currently, the green just gets all jumbled up with the background. I turned the brightness down and I was able to make it out, but with the map showing, it's just a mess.

I think there is going to be some use of the analog stick for some controls, you are not going to get leap motion fidelity with controllers & i wouldn't expect that sort of thing until Oculus introduce haptic gloves, something they are working on but is clearly years away. I could be wrong but Leap motion isn't really very wide spread so i doubt they would spend the time developing for it.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

Anyway in my real plane I look at the switches when I operate them so it will not change much from reality. When you use the mouse to operate switches you look at the switch as well. And even if you do not have to look at switches in a real plane, I think often you do.

Look at those people in airliners. There are hundreds of switches, close one to another. So I think they at least have a glance where they put their hands on.

Now, look closer at the ED statement. They are talking about two different things. They are talking about the possibility to use the touch controllers as throttle and stick. So in this statement yes they are probably talking about the oculus touch controllers, or maybe they will add vive support as well for their controllers.

But they are also stating that you'll be able to operate the switches with your finger (sorry I'm on my phone and do not have exact statement). So THIS part is to me something like leapmotion where you can operate the switches with your bare hands. And THAT is very interesting, because this is what is missing in VR. When I first tried VR with DCS, things were so real, it was very frustrating not being able to operate switches with our hands :)

It still could be that they are talking about the 'Touch' controllers for using fingers to interact with switches, knobs etc. Anyone who has used the Oculus Touch controllers in an app where they are properly implemented will know that you can use your fingers naturally with some dexterity.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Anyway in my real plane I look at the switches when I operate them so it will not change much from reality. When you use the mouse to operate switches you look at the switch as well. And even if you do not have to look at switches in a real plane, I think often you do.

Look at those people in airliners. There are hundreds of switches, close one to another. So I think they at least have a glance where they put their hands on.

Now, look closer at the ED statement. They are talking about two different things. They are talking about the possibility to use the touch controllers as throttle and stick. So in this statement yes they are probably talking about the oculus touch controllers, or maybe they will add vive support as well for their controllers.

But they are also stating that you'll be able to operate the switches with your finger (sorry I'm on my phone and do not have exact statement). So THIS part is to me something like leapmotion where you can operate the switches with your bare hands. And THAT is very interesting, because this is what is missing in VR. When I first tried VR with DCS, things were so real, it was very frustrating not being able to operate switches with our hands :)

My bet is on the Touch Controllers using the index fingers which Touch handles quite well.

After all that is where the Oculus Touch name came from.

:smilewink:

Don B

It still could be that they are talking about the 'Touch' controllers for using fingers to interact with switches, knobs etc. Anyone who has used the Oculus Touch controllers in an app where they are properly implemented will know that you can use your fingers naturally with some dexterity.
And so you'll drop your stick, grab the controller then drop the controller, grab the stick again? Not very convenient especially in VR when you can't see your stick or controllers or your surrounding...

I hope for something like leap motion. As if not, that will not be very interesting.

And so you'll drop your stick, grab the controller then drop the controller, grab the stick again? Not very convenient especially in VR when you can't see your stick or controllers or your surrounding...

I hope for something like leap motion. As if not, that will not be very interesting.

Yeah I'll never sign on to that system over a HOTAS. Doesen't feel in the least bit immersive, or as if you are using your own hands, at present but simply a less accurate version of a mouse. Theres also the problem that there is no haptic feedback and you can not actually see your own hands. If using hands to press buttons, it will be very immersion breaking not to be able to see or feel them.

Will wait until there are special gloves for this kind of thing, cause even if accurate, I'll never replace my HOTAS for motion controllers!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Yeah I'll never sign on to that system over a HOTAS. Doesen't feel in the least bit immersive, or as if you are using your own hands, at present but simply a less accurate version of a mouse. Theres also the problem that there is no haptic feedback and you can not actually see your own hands. If using hands to press buttons, it will be very immersion breaking not to be able to see or feel them.

Will wait until there are special gloves for this kind of thing, cause even if accurate, I'll never replace my HOTAS for motion controllers!

Me too I'll never replace my HOTAS.

Though a leap motion system will be fine even without haptic.

Indeed you do not see your own hands though you see virtual hands. This is like an improved mouse, more intuitive than a mouse. And it will allow you to use either the left or right hand, unlike the mouse.