F-15 basic combat guide

Sryan

Thank you near_blind and Stuge for the comprehensive replies, they are really appreciated!!

These comments make me feel much better about approaching the Su-27, particularly the note that their 'tactics have been borne out of necessity'.

Your replies also help me understand and clarify what it is I'm asking (!), and you have answered that too: I wanted to know if it's conceivable for Su-27s (and F-15s) to behave the way they do in DCS in the hands of players. I guess I understand the answer as "yes, given a storm of unrealistic factors which are present in DCS". (Correct me if I'm wrong~)

Thanks again. This is food for thought.

Standard DCS multiplayer missions (the ones where you find lots of players) are not based on realistic scenarios. The main mission for a fighter is usually take off, fly to the combat zone (bullseye), and find things to kill while the other team does the same. It's Team Deathmatch for fighters and a shooting gallery for strikers. This alone degrades the realism.

Very much this.

Considering F-15C vs Su-27, the Su-27 is practically forced to use ambush tactics in the mountains because the Eagle's AIM-120 missile is so superior out in the open. This is the main reason. The Eagle absolutely destroys the Flanker in the open, when piloted by skilled pilots. The Eagle's multi-launch capability also means that a lone Eagle can easily give a big headache to even larger groups of Flankers.

Flankers can survive in the open if they use cooperative tactics, and have a good wingman with whom they are communicating and who is actively supporting them. However if you're randomly joining an MP server, you're not likely to find this sort of cohesive teamwork.

Of course Flankers can be dangerous in the open too. An EOS stealth attack be pulled off in the open, provided the bad guy is looking at something else. Also the ET missile can be used successfully head-on against afterburning targets that do not suspect it. Even max range shots can hit in this case. But if the opponent is mentally prepared for this, he will come off afterburner, pop a few flares, laugh, and shoot an AMRAAM in your face :D

Edited by Stuge

I'd love seeing fight breakdowns or case studies...that would require advanced knowledge of not only avionics but also tactical understanding of what a particular aircraft can do in any given situation....in a perfect world, the screen would be split in two parts, one for cockpit view and the other for Tacview...I'd do it if I had time...

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

Very much this.

Flankers can survive in the open if they use cooperative tactics, and have a good wingman with whom they are communicating and who is actively supporting them. However if you're randomly joining an MP server, you're not likely to find this sort of cohesive teamwork.

It is worth noting that the teamwork advantage is equally applicable to the F-15. Assuming both are out in the open, 2x F-15s working together and communicating will defeat 2x Flankers doing the same.

All of this assumes that nobody makes a big mistake (which happens all the time- usually I'm the culprit).

It is worth noting that the teamwork advantage is equally applicable to the F-15. Assuming both are out in the open, 2x F-15s working together and communicating will defeat 2x Flankers doing the same.

All of this assumes that nobody makes a big mistake (which happens all the time- usually I'm the culprit).

Oh I'm aware. :)

I primarily fly the Eagle until I can get something naval, and if I'm ever on the PVP servers chances are I'm flying with a buddy who is twice the Eagle driver I'll ever be.

My reply Scytale were an attempt to explain the prevailing attitude that the Flanker is literally the worst in BVR, and you must hill fight to have any chance to succeed. Is the Flanker at a disadvantage against an AIM-120 equipped Eagle? yes. It is still an extremely capable fighter however, and with a little strategy and some cleverness you can make it work in BVR.

Oh I'm aware. :)

I primarily fly the Eagle until I can get something naval, and if I'm ever on the PVP servers chances are I'm flying with a buddy who is twice the Eagle driver I'll ever be.

My reply Scytale were an attempt to explain the prevailing attitude that the Flanker is literally the worst in BVR, and you must hill fight to have any chance to succeed. Is the Flanker at a disadvantage against an AIM-120 equipped Eagle? yes. It is still an extremely capable fighter however, and with a little strategy and some cleverness you can make it work in BVR.

Indeed, and even the worst BVR plane (MiG-29A or Mirage 2000?) is better off than something that cannot do BVR at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys. Nice discussion!

The first post was updated with links to the Mudspike article featuring my guide as well as my guide in PDF format. If you haven't checked out my guide since May I recommend you check out the changes!

Have a good day! Thanks.

Check my F-15C guide

Hey Sryan

You have done an incredible job. This is a MUST READ for any F-15 or general DCS beginner!!!

I have learned a thing or two, too ;).

Any time there's a new guy I will direct him to this guide and the pdf.

It's really an incredible piece.

Chapeau :thumbup:

Edited by Dr.Goose

Used this Guide to refresh my knowledge on the Eagle - Great work on the Guide:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i5 4690K | ASUS Z-97PRO Gaming Mobo | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX970 3.5/0.5 GB Windforce3 | G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD | Win10 Pro | Antec 750w 80 Bronze Modular

• 2 weeks later...

Reading through it right now. I'm eager to get started with the Eagle while I wait for the F14 from Leatherneck :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @4.5GHz | Nvidia 970 GTX | ASUS P68Z68 | Iiyama 27" ProLite | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 with Pro Clip

• 8 months later...

Fantastic guide for new pilots as well as some of us rusty old-timers who haven't taken a ride in the Eagle for years and need a refresher! :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• 5 months later...

Big thanks, just what I was looking for.

• Like 1

Asus X99 Deluxe II|Intel i7 6850K @4.2GHz|G.Skill 64GB Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz|Noctua NH-D15 and 4x NF-A14 PWM|Corsair HX850i

Win10 Pro 64 @M.2 512GB 950 PRO|DCS @M.2 250GB 960 EVO

ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX OC 8GB GDDR5|ASUS PG348Q - LG 25UM58 @3440x2520

Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent|TM Hotas Warthog 7.5cm ext & 3x MFD Cougars|MFG Crosswind|TrackIR 5

A-10C|AJS-37|AV-8B|BS2|F/A-18C|FC3|Mi-8MTV2|PG NE NO SY maps|Tacview.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...