The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

I don't think I have a dcs_variant.txt file anywhere on my PC drives. I searched by name in every possible place. Perhaps this is why DCS Open Beta keeps trying to use the wrong saved games DCS folder. I can try to create a dcs-variant.txt file to point DCS to the correct folder in saved games. 

• Like 1

I don't think I have a dcs_variant.txt file anywhere on my PC drives. I searched by name in every possible place. Perhaps this is why DCS Open Beta keeps trying to use the wrong saved games DCS folder. I can try to create a dcs-variant.txt file to point DCS to the correct folder in saved games. 
I don't think it's there by default. Pretty sure I made my first one to force OB to use the same saved games as stable.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, CrashAlot said:

simply open notepad type your install name, save as dcs_variant.txt in dcs root folder, done.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

OK so I created a text filed named dcs_variant.txt and in the txt file using NotePad, I just typed: DCS.openbeta, which is the name of my existing DCS folder in Saved Games. Then I saved the file and placed it inside of the E:/Applications/DCS World/bin  folder which is where the DCS.exe file is located. 

Then I launched the DCS Open Beta application and immediately checked my Saved Games folder and saw that a brand new folder was created named DCS.DCS.openbeta. That folder name is obviously just combination of DCS and DCS.openbeta. DCS is the name of the new folder that was being created in my Saved Games folder before I created the new dcs_variant.txt file and DCS.openbeta is the text that I wrote in the new DCS_variant.txt file that I created.

Do you think this is happening because there are two DCS_variant.txt files somewhere in my DCS World folder, with one of the DCS_variant.txt files containing the text "DCS" and the other one that I just created contains the text "DCS.openbeta", so DCS is combing those two?  And since I don't have a folder in saved games matching the combination of DCS and DCS.openbeta, DCS is creating a new folder named DCS.DCS.openbeta?

I bet if I renamed my DCS.openbeta folder in Saved Games to DCS.DCSopenbeta, that DCS wouldn't create a new folder in saved games. Before I created the new DCS_variant.txt file, the only fix that stopped DCS from creating a new folder in Saved games, was when I renamed my existing folder in Saved Games from "DCS.openbeta" to just "DCS". When I did that and then launched the DCS Open Beta application, it didn't create a new folder in Saved Games and DCS accessed my existing folder in saved games that I had just renamed to "DCS".

I spent a couple hours  looking every where in my DCS World folder for a file named DCS_variant.txt, but I couldn't find one anywhere, other than the new one that just created.  The folder structure where the DCS Open Beta program files are located is  E:/Applications/DCS World/. Inside of the DCS World folder there are 26 subfolders and 9 files that aren't in folders.

The 9 files are:  autoupdate.cfg     autoupdate.dat     autoupdate_log.txt     autoupdate_log_old.txt,     dcs_manifest.bin     unins000.dat     unins000.exe     unins000.msg   

Plus the dcs_variant.txt file that I just created.

The subfolders in my DCS World folder are:

_backup.000 thru .004      _downloads        API        Bazar       bin       Config       CoreMods       Data       DemoMods       distr       Doc       dxgui       FUI       JConfHtml      I10n       LuaSocket       Mission Editor       Mods       Scripts       Sound.edc      VCSServer       WebGUI 

I have manually searched in my DCS World folder and every one of it's subfolders looking for a DCS_variant.txt file, other than the one I created.  I also used Windows file search and came up with nothing.

So why the heck is DCS Open Beta creating a new folder in my Saved Games folder and naming it DCS.DCSopenbeta, when the DCS_variant.txt file that I created contains the text: DCS.openbeta and a folder with that exact name already exists in my Saved Games folder? If there isn't another DCS_variant.txt file in my DCS World folder, what else could cause this?

And if there is another DCS_variant.txt file, where the heck could it be hiding that wouldn't come up with Windows file search and that I couldn't find after 2 hours of searching dozens of subfolders?

OK so I created a text filed named dcs_variant.txt and in the txt file using NotePad, I just typed: DCS.openbeta, which is the name of my existing DCS folder in Saved Games. Then I saved the file and placed it inside of the E:/Applications/DCS World/bin  folder which is where the DCS.exe file is located. 
Then I launched the DCS Open Beta application and immediately checked my Saved Games folder and saw that a brand new folder was created named DCS.DCS.openbeta. That folder name is obviously just combination of DCS and DCS.openbeta. DCS is the name of the new folder that was being created in my Saved Games folder before I created the new dcs_variant.txt file and DCS.openbeta is the text that I wrote in the new DCS_variant.txt file that I created.
Do you think this is happening because there are two DCS_variant.txt files somewhere in my DCS World folder, with one of the DCS_variant.txt files containing the text "DCS" and the other one that I just created contains the text "DCS.openbeta", so DCS is combing those two?  And since I don't have a folder in saved games matching the combination of DCS and DCS.openbeta, DCS is creating a new folder named DCS.DCS.openbeta?
I bet if I renamed my DCS.openbeta folder in Saved Games to DCS.DCSopenbeta, that DCS wouldn't create a new folder in saved games. Before I created the new DCS_variant.txt file, the only fix that stopped DCS from creating a new folder in Saved games, was when I renamed my existing folder in Saved Games from "DCS.openbeta" to just "DCS". When I did that and then launched the DCS Open Beta application, it didn't create a new folder in Saved Games and DCS accessed my existing folder in saved games that I had just renamed to "DCS".
 I spent a couple hours  looking every where in my DCS World folder for a file named DCS_variant.txt, but I couldn't find one anywhere, other than the new one that just created.  The folder structure where the DCS Open Beta program files are located is  E:/Applications/DCS World/. Inside of the DCS World folder there are 26 subfolders and 9 files that aren't in folders.
The 9 files are:  autoupdate.cfg     autoupdate.dat     autoupdate_log.txt     autoupdate_log_old.txt,     dcs_manifest.bin     unins000.dat     unins000.exe     unins000.msg   
 _backup.000 thru .004      _downloads        API        Bazar       bin       Config       CoreMods       Data       DemoMods       distr       Doc       dxgui       FUI       JConfHtml      I10n       LuaSocket       Mission Editor       Mods       Scripts       Sound.edc      VCSServer       WebGUI 
I have manually searched in my DCS World folder and every one of it's subfolders looking for a DCS_variant.txt file, other than the one I created.  I also used Windows file search and came up with nothing.
So why the heck is DCS Open Beta creating a new folder in my Saved Games folder and naming it DCS.DCSopenbeta, when the DCS_variant.txt file that I created contains the text: DCS.openbeta and a folder with that exact name already exists in my Saved Games folder? If there isn't another DCS_variant.txt file in my DCS World folder, what else could cause this?
And if there is another DCS_variant.txt file, where the heck could it be hiding that wouldn't come up with Windows file search and that I couldn't find after 2 hours of searching dozens of subfolders?

I did explain in the example in my post above.
Type in ONLY openbeta, and the folder DCS.openbeta will be created.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, CrashAlot said:

"DCS." is automatically added,

You can open notepad and type "TomcatsRule" and the Generated folder will be "DCS.TomcatsRule"

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I'm an idiot. I figured out where I screwed up. I should have just wrote openbeta in the dcs_variant.txt file that I created, not DCS.openbeta. I thought that I had to match the name of the existing folder in my Saved Games folder which is DCS.openbeta, but apparently that's not how the DCS reads the dcs_variant.txt file. 

I just changed the text in the dcs_variant file from DCS.openbeta to openbeta and saved it. Then I launched DCS and miraculously, a new folder wasn't created in my saved games folder. So really the only issue originally was that there wasn't a dcs_variant.txt file in my DCS World root folder, pointing DCS to my existing DCS.openbeta folder in saved games, so DCS was creating a new folder and naming it DCS.

Then when I created the dcs_variant file and named it DCS.openbeta, DCS looked for a folder named DCS.DCSopenbeta and when it couldn't find one, it created one. And now that I have corrected the dcs_variant.txt file with just "openbeta",. DCS is recognizing that there is already a folder in saved games named DCS.openbeta, so it's not creating a new one. 

• Like 1

Weird thing. The utility shows the latest Beta version as 277.14727, and the latest Release as 276.13436. Refreshing does not change it. DCS shows 15038 on the splash and DCS_updater appears to be the correct version.

unrelated cleanup issue - I still have the SKateZilla.Stud folder in my %users% Can I kill that?

On 11/4/2021 at 6:06 PM, VeeSPIKE said:

Weird thing. The utility shows the latest Beta version as 277.14727, and the latest Release as 276.13436. Refreshing does not change it. DCS shows 15038 on the splash and DCS_updater appears to be the correct version.

unrelated cleanup issue - I still have the SKateZilla.Stud folder in my %users% Can I kill that?

The Version Numbers are synced from a webserver, the DNS for the server was down, should be good now.

old Folder is unused now.

Edited by SkateZilla

when using DCS Updater for external applications it will execute them as child process and set the working directory of the external app using the dcs update directory. This causes an error with simshaker for aviators.

I can bypass the problem using a batch file, is there any way to set working dir as the app dir?

Check the two screenshots below, first is without dcs updater. Second one has different working dir causing SSA to generate errors because of relative path.

image.png

image.png

Edited by tomeye

This is a VB.net Behavior, 
Any Process started from within the app directly becomes a child of the App.
Running a Batch File uses CMD.exe as the host launcher, which is terminated when the windows closes.

I'm looking into a way to set the working directories, but right now a few base functions are undergoing massive re-writes for future proofing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2021 at 11:14 PM, SkateZilla said:

This is a VB.net Behavior, 
Any Process started from within the app directly becomes a child of the App.
Running a Batch File uses CMD.exe as the host launcher, which is terminated when the windows closes.

I'm looking into a way to set the working directories, but right now a few base functions are undergoing massive re-writes for future proofing.

Thanks @SkateZilla, I tried updating path and environmental variables and never could get SimShaker for Aviators to work. Glad you see what the problem is,  good luck with the re-writes and a possible solution in the future.   Cheers. 

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

You can actually use a batch file like below to set the working directory before executing.

Assuming you have standard SSA, paths are similar to mine. One thing I don't like with this solution is that you miss the app icon in the button.

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\SimShaker\SimShaker for Aviators"
Start "" "SimShaker for Aviators.exe"

I'm looking into this more now as I'm doing the core re-write, setting the working directory to the path of the executable selected, it's going to be tricky as the path will include the executable, and I have to code a dynamic script to remove the executable from the path to set the working path.

However, if SimShaker is the only Application with this issue, I could also just integrate it to auto detect the app at the default path, and set the working directory automatically when launching SS.

also would it be possible to symlink the relative folders to the actual ones?

See Below:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

I'm looking into this more now as I'm doing the core re-write, setting the working directory to the path of the executable selected, it's going to be tricky as the path will include the executable, and I have to code a dynamic script to remove the executable from the path to set the working path.

However, if SimShaker is the only Application with this issue, I could also just integrate it to auto detect the app at the default path, and set the working directory automatically when launching SS.

also would it be possible to symlink the relative folders to the actual ones?

See Below:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

I recommend you add an optional "working directory" that user fills in. The same is used by windows scheduled tasks.

image.png

• Like 2

Just want to mention,

The next version is still far out due to the extent of the re-writing and future proofing the code.

Also, I am changing the interface layout for many functions, removing A LOT of textboxes etc and replacing with Input Prompts/Saves, 

Basically, the under the hood scanning of builds and modules is being entirely re-written and the functions that utilize it rewritten as well,
As well as 95% of the entire App Settings page, mainly the textboxes pertaining to folder paths, and build names, and similar functions,

When the new version is released a majority of the settings will not transfer and will need to be re-done.

During the time, many elements my also be re-done graphicly (buttons etc).

Next version will likely be a new Major release due to the amount of changes.

Update, Here's a in Progress Changelog thus far: 
-Addition of New Module Assets (Current internal Build is current with all released modules).
-Re-writing Core Code to be able to integrate new functions (T.B.A.), 75% of them are already done and working.
-Re-writing Build and Module Scanning Function.
-Re-writing Variables and User Defined Items to remove Text Boxes, optimizing mechanisms, condense space and items loaded.
-Re-writing User.Settings File (likely re-naming User Defs to remove problems with versions Prior).
-Re-writing JSON Parser Code (for Future Functions)
-Re-writing code for DCS Launchers,
-Re-writing code for future self updater
-Removing old self updater code
-Removing unused functions left behind during updates.
-Removal of Starforce Console Option (All Modules use ED's DRM and have for a while)
-Removal of "More" Button, (Select, Uninstall, Manual and YT Trailer Buttons will be added Separately)
-Converting to newest .net framework
-Integrating Working Directories
-Updating UI / Layout

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Is it a way to set where "DCS Updater Utility" writes its Log files ?

For info, i renamed and move my "Saved Games" folder from C:\Users\MyUserName\ to D:\SAV-Games

For the moment it creates "\Saved Games\DCS Updater Utility\" folder in my "D:\SAV-Games\" so, i get :

"D:\SAV-Games\Saved Games\DCS Updater Utility\" ... why?

i wanna have all things in "D:\DCS Updater Utility" where it is installed.

Thank you for this great tool !

Edit : well, i updated DCS Updater Utility with last version, now it creates :

C:\Users\MyUserName\ "Saved Games\DCS Updater Utility" folder for log files which is worse than before !

Edited by Scoll

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's written to write the log and store other files in the User Profile Directory which is /Users/<Username>/ the  Saved Games/DCS Updater Utility/ are sub folders based on App type and name.
This folder is controlled by windows, the app simply asks windows for the folder path.

I will look into custom folder designation, but it's not high on the list of things to do during the re-write and UI shift.

On 12/13/2021 at 4:50 AM, Scoll said:

Hi,

Is it a way to set where "DCS Updater Utility" writes its Log files ?

For info, i renamed and move my "Saved Games" folder from C:\Users\MyUserName\ to D:\SAV-Games

For the moment it creates "\Saved Games\DCS Updater Utility\" folder in my "D:\SAV-Games\" so, i get :

"D:\SAV-Games\Saved Games\DCS Updater Utility\" ... why?

i wanna have all things in "D:\DCS Updater Utility" where it is installed.

Thank you for this great tool !

Edit : well, i updated DCS Updater Utility with last version, now it creates :

C:\Users\MyUserName\ "Saved Games\DCS Updater Utility" folder for log files which is worse than before !

Would like to have a custom path, too. But it has low priority.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Thank you for your answer SkateZilla, I understand.
However, I don't understand why, despite having renamed and moved my "Saved Games" folder with the tools made available by Windows:

image.png

all my other games or tools, (everything is redirected into D:\SAV-Games\) work correctly except DCS Updater Utility.

This may be because the tool is looking for %USERPROFILE% instead of the "Saved Games" folder ?

Edited by Scoll
typo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

11 hours ago, Scoll said:

Thank you for your answer SkateZilla, I understand.
However, I don't understand why, despite having renamed and moved my "Saved Games" folder with the tools made available by Windows:

image.png

all my other games or tools, (everything is redirected into D:\SAV-Games\) work correctly except DCS Updater Utility.

This may be because the tool is looking for %USERPROFILE% instead of the "Saved Games" folder ?

Correct,
It uses UserProfile call in VisualStudio, Like I said, I may integrate a custom option.

• 4 weeks later...

You should try to rename the settings folder. It is somewhere in %appdata%.
I'm not at my private pc. So I'm unable to post the exact path.

Take a look at the first post in section Troubleshooting.

Edited by kaltokri
  • Like 1

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN