Blurry DDI's

Hellcat

I started flying with my Lenovo Explorer recently and have found my F-18 DDI's are blurry and washed out and not very readable ....not that way with the F-15 ...Anyone else come across this?

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Wait a minute, I seem to remember loading a mod to sharpen the text of exports to another monitor ...I wonder if that's messing with it ....

Don't mind me just chatting with myself in my own thread :music_whistling:

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Yeah I used this to great effect when exporting MFD's to a 2nd monitor.

X:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\Common\indicator\MDG_strokesDefs.lua

Before:

stroke_thickness = 0.8

stroke_fuzziness = 0.5

After:

stroke_thickness = 0.4

stroke_fuzziness = 0.2

Not yet tried in VR. But it worked for me in 2 screen exported mode.

Yeah I used this to great effect when exporting MFD's to a 2nd monitor.

X:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\Common\indicator\MDG_strokesDefs.lua

Before:

stroke_thickness = 0.8

stroke_fuzziness = 0.5

After:

stroke_thickness = 0.4

stroke_fuzziness = 0.2

The before lines work best for me in VR. But I will try and adjust as the MFD's are not crisp in VR F-18

Thats what I did in the past too but its not working to well in VR

So the DDI's were blurry and unreadable when exporting to my second monitor ...I fixed that by changing the following values in the MDG_strokesDefs.lua :

Old:

stroke_thickness = 0.8

stroke_fuzziness = 0.5

New:

stroke_thickness = 0.4

stroke_fuzziness = 0.2

This worked great for that now that I'm flying in VR the DDI's are blurry again while the hud looks great ....I can make the DDI's look very good and totally readable by changing the values in the MDG_strokesDefs.lua further so they look great and readable but then the hud looks terrible and unreadable......

Does anyone know if there's a way to edit the DDI's and hud separately? If there was this would be an easy fix .......

That did it Allign Thanks! ...I didn't think that setting affected VR.......I made a mod to change it to

stroke_thickness = 0.5

stroke_fuzziness = 0.3

And it made it sharper in VR ...thanks again

That did it Allign Thanks! ...I didn't think that setting affected VR.......I made a mod to change it to

stroke_thickness = 0.5

stroke_fuzziness = 0.3

And it made it sharper in VR ...thanks again

In the setup video I watched it said ignore monitor setting. (All things VR)

But the DDI’s were unreadable so I switched it to single monitor and voila.

I’ll give your numbers a go end of the week.

In the setup video I watched it said ignore monitor setting. (All things VR)

But the DDI’s were unreadable so I switched it to single monitor and voila.

I’ll give your numbers a go end of the week.

RGR ...let me know how the HMD looks in the F-18 if you have it ....it's a little light on my Lenovo Explorer.

Is this mod IC compliant?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Yep

Beautiful, thanks dude. I'll give this a go next time I fly :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

NP ....It may vary from headset to headset so you can change the values to suit what you need like from 0.5/0.3 to 0.6/0.4 or 0.7/0.5 for example ...

• 4 weeks later...

Hellcat, i have the Explorer as well....i was flying mainly in 2d last month being unsatisfied by performance. But these days i decided to make some flights in VR. Well i really would like to fly in VR only but i have bad visuals and bad performances despite the monster i have (see my signature), which steam vr ss and dcs world pd do you use?

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hellcat, i have the Explorer as well....i was flying mainly in 2d last month being unsatisfied by performance. But these days i decided to make some flights in VR. Well i really would like to fly in VR only but i have bad visuals and bad performances despite the monster i have (see my signature), which steam vr ss and dcs world pd do you use?

Sorry late to get back to this thread ......I'll have to check after work today and I'll post back to you in a PM...

NP ....It may vary from headset to headset so you can change the values to suit what you need like from 0.5/0.3 to 0.6/0.4 or 0.7/0.5 for example ...
I tried this...but it worsened the perception...but changing it to 1/0.7 improved it a little.

I really see the ddis and the ampcd as a messed blur regardless of the supersampling or msaa settings.

I have this issues only in dcs f18.

In the harrier for example i see correclty the two mpcds.

In other sims i see much better.

Don't know what happens

Inviato dal mio SM-J530F utilizzando Tapatalk

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

I tried this...but it worsened the perception...but changing it to 1/0.7 improved it a little.

I really see the ddis and the ampcd as a messed blur regardless of the supersampling or msaa settings.

I have this issues only in dcs f18.

In the harrier for example i see correclty the two mpcds.

In other sims i see much better.

Don't know what happens

Are you running the Samsung Odyssey clarity hack here? https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223813

I have mine set to 2.0 and then had to bring it back close to stock

I'm running 200% application resolution for DCS with msaa 2x. with PD 1.0 with the hack and DDI's are fine for me.

Are you running the Samsung Odyssey clarity hack here? https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223813

I have mine set to 2.0 and then had to bring it back close to stock

I'm running 200% application resolution for DCS with msaa 2x. with PD 1.0 with the hack and DDI's are fine for me.

Yes i tried having renderscale 2.0 and 3.0.

But that is the upscaling limit of an headset...for the Lenovo explorer renderscale at 1.0 means that supersampling is limited at 140% 2.0 upper the limit.

I tried msaa 0,2,4.

I tried default supesampling (steam puts mine at 200%), 100% with pixel density in dcs at 1.4/1.6, then 140%

Yes i see more clarity at 200% that at 100% but the ddis are really blurry and more the ampcd is worse if possible.

The gauges, the hud and also the text in dcs menu is ok. Virtually in the explorer you don't have SDE thanks to its rgb screen..so it is a shame that i can't find a sweetspot for ddis clarity.

I am starting to think that the Lenovo is not the right hmd for me due to not having physical IPD slider. Also if my ipd is the 64 (so almost the default one).