Low framerate on HUD

Glimmer

Is ti normal or just WIP? :)

Су-27 Flanker | Су-30 Flanker-C | Су-33 Flanker-D | Су-34 Fullback | Су-24 Fencer | МиГ-29 Fulcrum | F-14A/B/D Tomcat | F/A-18C/D Hornet | F/A-18E/F Super Hornet | F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-15C Eagle | Eurofighter Typhoon | Tornado IDS | JAS-39 Gripen | AJ/JA(S)-37 Viggen | Rafale | M-2000 Mirage | Mirage F1

Ka-52 Hokum | Mi-28N Havoc | Mi-35M Hind | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | AH-1W SuperCobra

This is correct. The F-14s HUD (which AFAIK was only the 2nd HUD in the world after the Viggens HUD) had a pretty low refresh rate. There was a huge discussion here on the forums about it when Heatblur released a video about a year ago, where this was pretty noticeable. Some people complained that this is giving them a headache or even motion sickness. IIRC Heatblur was thinking about giving players the option to choose between the realistic low HUD refresh rate or a smooth unrealistic HUD refresh rate. But I'm not sure if I remember correctly as this was more than a year ago.

Edit: That's the thread I was talking about: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=187671

And here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3083560

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Last I heard they're planning to release it and see how people find it - I'm guessing if enough people start revisiting their breakfasts then they'll implement a higher refresh speed. I'm also guessing that once you're actually in the F-14 and using it, then the low refresh rate won't matter so much.

This is correct. The F-14s HUD (which AFAIK was the 2nd HUD in the world after the Viggen) had a pretty low refresh rate. There was a huge discussion here on the forums about it when Heatblur released a video about a year ago, where this was pretty noticeable. Some people complained that this is giving them a headache or even motion sickness. IIRC Heatblur was thinking about giving players the option to choose between the realistic low HUD refresh rate or a smooth unrealistic HUD refresh rate. But I'm not sure if I remember correctly as this was more than a year ago.

Edit: That's the thread I was talking about: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=187671

And here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3083560

Thank you!

Су-27 Flanker | Су-30 Flanker-C | Су-33 Flanker-D | Су-34 Fullback | Су-24 Fencer | МиГ-29 Fulcrum | F-14A/B/D Tomcat | F/A-18C/D Hornet | F/A-18E/F Super Hornet | F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-15C Eagle | Eurofighter Typhoon | Tornado IDS | JAS-39 Gripen | AJ/JA(S)-37 Viggen | Rafale | M-2000 Mirage | Mirage F1

Ka-52 Hokum | Mi-28N Havoc | Mi-35M Hind | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | AH-1W SuperCobra

I'm also guessing that once you're actually in the F-14 and using it, then the low refresh rate won't matter so much.

Yes, I also think that this effect isn't as bad ingame than it is on a youtube video.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, I also think that this effect isn't as bad ingame than it is on a youtube video.

thats a bit like saying "pretty sure these stairs are no problem for wheelchair users lets se how it goes and maybe we put a ramp there".

as in, sure if you dont have that problem you cant think it beeing a problem.

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

This is the video that sparked the discussion last year:

Tornado3 small.jpg

This is the video that sparked the discussion last year:

I found the video itself, not the HUD refresh rate, to be very annoying visually. Very jerky and hard to watch. The HUD didn't appear to be a problem at all. I am sure that the video was intentionally made this way to give us a sense of what air combat might look/feel like in the Tomcat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found the video itself, not the HUD refresh rate, to be very annoying visually. Very jerky and hard to watch. The HUD didn't appear to be a problem at all. I am sure that the video was intentionally made this way to give us a sense of what air combat might look/feel like in the Tomcat.

That's why I think it won't be as bad ingame as it appears on the youtube video.

Tornado3 small.jpg

The F-14 HUD refresh wasn't as fast as later aircraft. Cobra has said they will probably have an option to have a normal refresh rate or a historically correct one.

I believe he said that they would actually release without the option and if it’s still a serious problem for people then they would provide the option. But as many people including Cobra has said, once you actually get to fly the Tomcat you won’t even notice the refresh rate. In cruise mode the HUD actually refreshes very quickly.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

It's not the refresh rate that's the issue but the resolution. I am not talking about the resolution of the display but the amount of angle that is required for the display to register a change. As proof, in fast manoeuvres the HUD seems quite smooth.

This is one the things many DCS modules got wrong... I'm glad the Tomcat has it right salute.png

I mean, just watch this Shark footage and compare to DCS rainbowdashwink.png

You can't really do that. At how many frames per second does the blackshark's HUD update? At how many frames per second was that filmed? There are sure to be frames dropped here and there in the footage even if it was filmed at a higher FPS than the hud updates (which I bet it wasn't).

No, the only way you can get these things right is to actually have the official document where it states the HUD refresh rate, and then replicate that. You can't rely on footage as its not consistent or accurate. In any case Heatblur have stated that this is what they have done and that it's replicated correctly.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

You can't really do that. At how many frames per second does the blackshark's HUD update? At how many frames per second was that filmed? There are sure to be frames dropped here and there in the footage even if it was filmed at a higher FPS than the hud updates (which I bet it wasn't).

No, the only way you can get these things right is to actually have the official document where it states the HUD refresh rate, and then replicate that. You can't rely on footage as its not consistent or accurate. In any case Heatblur have stated that this is what they have done and that it's replicated correctly.

The frame rate of the video is clearly faster than the update rate of that Ka-50 HUD. And the update rate of the HUD stays consistent throughout the whole video while the motion in the background is fluid and smooth. If the motion of the background was equally jerky I'd agree with you but its not. I've just put the video into my NLE software and it looks like the HUD updates every 200ms and the video is playing back at 60fps so you get around 12 frames per HUD state... even if this was shot at 30fps originally you're still looking at 6 frames per HUD state.. this is more than enough resolution to tell whether its "dropped frames" or an actually slow refreshing HUD.. IMHO anyway. But what do I know, I've only been working with video for 20 years ;)

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.