Flight time recorded in logbook

Gierasimov

Hi

Some time ago, we have discussed in this forum what events are taken into consideration when calculating flight time for the logbook.

Both the discussion and testing proved that it is take off and landing events that calculate flight time.

So, flying today in the Hornet and looking at the debriefing screen after the sortie I saw the following events:

Take off - 06:00

Landing - 06:51

In my logbook, I had 40 hours and 30 minutes Hornet flight time before that flight, but after that mission, it went up only to 40 hours and 51 minutes.

I tried to save the debriefing and check times in that log but there are just numbers with multiple whole and decimal digits so I can't make out anything out of it.

Does anybody know how does the flight time is really recorded? Perhaps ED can chime in here?

Edited by Gierasimov
corrected to 40 hours and 51 - thanks BlacleyCole

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

There’s a 60 minute to tenths chart floating around somewhere that show how flight times should be converted but by no means does 51 minutes equal -35 hours and +21 minutes it shout be in the range 51 minutes should be in the .7 to .9 range

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Thanks!

There’s a 60 minute to tenths chart floating around somewhere that show how flight times should be converted but by no means does 51 minutes equal -35 hours and +21 minutes it shout be in the range 51 minutes should be in the .7 to .9 range

Ok, thanks for that I obviously made a mistake with this 4 hours thing.

What I meant to say is that instead of 51 minutes logged I received only 21.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Like I said if it is using the tenths of minutes like most forms the 41 you mentioned would be hours minutes would be designated as .0 -.9 of an hour. I have checked dcs as my system is down right now

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Thanks!

Like I said if it is using the tenths of minutes like most forms the 41 you mentioned would be hours minutes would be designated as .0 -.9 of an hour. I have checked dcs as my system is down right now

What does it mean though? Why 51 minutes in the air recorded as 21 minutes in the logbook?

With seeing everything I’m not sure other than an error in logging the time my best guess is the time shown was the time you entered into the cockpit and included startup and taxi time

Flight time is from weight off wheels to weight on wheels

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Thanks!

With seeing everything I’m not sure other than an error in logging the time my best guess is the time shown was the time you entered into the cockpit and included startup and taxi time

Flight time is from weight off wheels to weight on wheels

No, the debriefing was indicative of cockpit time as well:

05:45 - Mission start

06:00 takeoff

some other events here including my combat and AI records

06:51 landing

07:12 Mission end

My weight off wheels to weight on wheels was 51 minutes.

Another test results

Hi. I flew another single-player mission in the Persian Gulf tonight, and yet again time recorded in the logbook does not match the time spent in the air.

Here is the portion of debriefing saved as a log file:

------------------------------------------------------------

debriefing = {

["callsign"] = "Vulture",

["events"] = {

[1] = {

["t"] = 21600,

["type"] = "mission start",

},

[2] = {

["t"] = 21600,

["type"] = "took control",

},

[3] = {

["initiator"] = "VULTURE",

["initiatorMissionID"] = "5",

["initiatorPilotName"] = "Vulture",

["place"] = "USS Stennis",

["t"] = 21719.06,

["type"] = "takeoff",

},

Then there are mission events

and then this is my trap and mission end

[94] = {

["initiator"] = "VULTURE",

["initiatorMissionID"] = "5",

["initiatorPilotName"] = "Vulture",

["place"] = "USS Stennis",

["t"] = 24479.52,

["type"] = "land",

},

[95] = {

["t"] = 24541.021,

["type"] = "mission end",

},

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event "takeoff" time 21719.06 event "land" time 24479.52

The difference in the "t" variable above is is 2760.46 and in my debriefing screen, it was 46 minutes difference which means "t" variable is measured in seconds. This is consistent with my mission start time at 6AM = 21600 seconds from midnight.

So far so good, debriefing screen is consistent with time from the .log file. But in the Logbook only 27 minutes were logged:

picture.php?albumid=1089&pictureid=10203

I think it would be really helpful if ED could either acknowledge this as a bug or otherwise explain to people interested, how the flight time logic does work in DCS

Or perhaps my logbook is corrupted somehow, but then again somebody above mentioned similar experience.

• 6 months later...

I have observed something interesting: Flight Hours are mainly recorded, when you are during a combat situation. I have flown many missions, where I was just cruising with relatively low enemy contact, which resulted in very few flight hours.

However, when I am doing one of the quick missions for dogfights, then my flight hours match pretty much my actual flight time.

Maybe my theory is not exactly true, but it explains many things. E.g. why you do not get flight hours during tutorial missions. Now if my theory is true, then the recorded flight hours are a very meaningful indication about how much experience you have gained during actual combat.