Helicopters on the supercarrier? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
xvii-Dietrich

Default Helicopters on the supercarrier?

The new "supercarrier" module looks great, and I am really looking forward to it. However, I want to raise the issue of helicopters. If you look at pictures of Nimitz class (incl. the Theodore Roosevelt subclass) carriers, you will often see them with helicopters... typically a variant of the SH-60 Seahawk. Tantalisingly, some of the screenshots of the DCS supercarrier module have the odd SH-60 parked somewhere.

Now, to really make the carrier ecosystem come to life, having helicopters operating off deck, tagging along on station, and ferrying to-and-from shore and other ships would add so much. So, a few(!) questions if I may...

• What are our chances of ever getting a flyable SH-60 or HH-60?
  • Or, are there other flyable helicopters we could get which would suit the new carrier module?
  • If not, would the AI SH-60B models we already have in DCS at least get a bit of a re-work to make them look better?
  • Alternatively, could the (much better) AI UH-60A model get a Navy-grey paintscheme, so it could be used?
  • Will there be a spawn point (or several) on the crowded deck where a SH-60 could take off?
  • Will AI helicopters be able to take off, then "keep station" flying alongside the ship?
  • Will the carrier ATC / LSO recognise helicopter traffic?
  • Will landing AI helicopters get in the way of aircraft?
  • Would they be smart enough not to crash into things?
  • And when they land on deck, will then get secured, so as not to slide around?
  • Will there be some sort of "rescue ditched pilot" mechanism - the perfect helicopter mini-mission?
  • Are there any other helicopter interactions planned?
  • And, if there are no flyable SH-60s, would be able to spawn a Huey or an Mi-8 as an alternative for us helicopter pilots who would like to try the carrier?
  • And, could the Mi-8 module get a DCS official (fictional) US-Navy Grey paintscheme so it "fits in" as an SH-60 stand in?

It would be really great if there was some way for us virtual helicopter pilots to be able to use the supercarrier module. It looks really exciting, and I feel that the presence of helicopters would add to the experience of the fixed-wing pilots too.

Any tidbits from ED? Any ideas from others? Thanks!!
xvii-Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
Silver_Dragon
DCS Ground Crew

SH-60 and S-3 AI units has planned to rework by ED.

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...91#post4076891
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Silver_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
Tomcatter87

One thing I'd also love to see is an SH-3 AI model - great for old school carrier ops.
Setup: TM Warthog & Throttle | Arozzi Velocita Stand | MFG Crosswind Pedals | VRInsight Tact&Toggle Switch Panel | JetSeat KW-908 | TrackIR
Tomcatter87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
fargo007

What interactions with helicopters will be possible WRT the supercarrier?

Are you ready to take your chopper flying skills to the next level?
Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.
fargo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcatter87 View Post
One thing I'd also love to see is an SH-3 AI model - great for old school carrier ops.
Yeap
bies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
Greekbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Dragon View Post
SH-60 and S-3 AI units has planned to rework by ED.
We have a great flying paint of the Blackhawk by PorcoRosso to look like the SH-60 now:

What would be so appreciated would be a AI Static SH-60 ASAP so we can have one folded up on the carrier for a realistic look.
i7 8700K @ 5.0Ghz I ASUS Maximus Hero X Z370 I 64GB G Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 I EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra Gaming I Samsung EVO 960 500GB M.2 PCIe SSD I TM Hornet Stick/WH Throttle I VPC Mongoose T-50 Stick Base I Thrustmaster TPR Pedals W/Damper I 4K Curved 65" I HP Reverb Pro

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Joint Task Force 1 | Discord
Greekbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #7
Pilot Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvii-Dietrich View Post

• What are our chances of ever getting a flyable SH-60 or HH-60?
I don't put my hopes too high on a flyable SH-60. However, I feel there instances when often-voiced wishes were quickly ruled out by moderators or Wags. With regard to the SH-60 I don't remember any ED official ever ruling out one for DCS. This may indicate just that, ED is not ruling it out. That is probably all we'd ever get to hear about it currently, if they let down to give an official statement regarding an SH-60. Maybe NineLine could investigate on this?

It would be so fantastic to have this naval helicopter in DCS. Looking at all the naval assets that are coming to DCS, it would only appear consistent to integrate the SH-60.
Pilot Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #8
Chaogen

Why not some Kaman Seasprites? Historically appropriate as the predecessor to the Seahawk, not in active US Navy service, and able to fire Torpedoes and Guided Missiles including the Hellfires and Mavericks (granted they were the international versions). Even as far as Sidewinder and Sparrows on a test beds.

Its an often overlook Naval Helo with many capabilities that should fit comfortably in the DCS realm, and also appropriate to operate from Frigates and Destroyers.

Chaogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:44 PM   #9
Pilot Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaogen View Post
Why not some Kaman Seasprites?
Sure, why not. Obviously the Seasprite is not the first choice of many naval helicopter-minded DCS pilots, but still a thousand times better than flying Hueys or Mi-8s off the deck. Out of active duty is not a mandatory requirement for American hardware in DCS though, looking at F-16, F-18, AV-8B... so an SH-60 might still be an option, and it would be the best denominator for everyone.
Pilot Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #10
cordite

Or a flyable Sea King. In service US based helis seem to almost be verboten for DCS devs.
cordite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helicopter, supercarrier