Poor VR Performance

Bones308th

On my side it's not the shaders, it's AI units. They pull to much CPU frametime. In an empty map, FPS are normal. The VR shader mod didn't change anything at all. Maybe it works for lower end systems, or is just a placebo and lowering game settings does the real job in those cases.

I noticed this too

Just created a simple mission with myself on the Stennis. All ok and decent fps. Then added 2 AI and 1 static, to make the deck more alive, and my fps plumbed

Also did a lot of tweaking and testing since 2.5.6, but in all instant action missions where you start on the ground (usually several statics an AI units around) I just can't get proper framerates. Shader mod in those situations also didn't do anything to improve my fps.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

i think there are multiple issues that relate to poor performance... its not just one thing...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Memory leak in 2.5.6 maybe a huge part of loss in performance being experienced.

This I read is being seriously looked into by Ed and fix for this could come with next week patch.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I wonder how many people complain about performance whilst their computers rebuild the shaders during play? Because maybe they updated, launch, headset on and have no idea the dcs.log is chuntering through all the shader compiles for the new lighting effects... see bad performance, try a different terrain and a different aircraft, get the same again, use up their alloted 2 hours of game time a week and log off, rant on the forums about performance and start downgrading to the previous version before the shaders finished? Not saying it's every case, but after I cleaned out my shaders, let DCS settle, run a few cockpits and terrains, patiently, then restarted my computer and ran DCS, it was absolutely fine, for me?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Guys, just did a quick night AAR mission with the Viper out of Batumi, and the frame rates were terrible. That’s with today’s update, and the latest NVidia drivers released yesterday. I’m using Windows 10, i9-9900K, NVidia 2080Ti, and the Reverb. Has anybody noticed any drop in VR performance? I also know there was a new update to Steam VR, so I have to check the VR settings and see if there were any changes in settings. I’ll try a day mission tomorrow as well, and report back here. Just wondering if anyone here has noticed any drop in performance. Thanks.

Ray

I might have missed it in the thread, are you using Open Beta 2.5.6 or ?

Did you follow the thuds guide for Reverb setup on vr4dcs.com ?

-I'm asking because there is not only one trap to fall into. Low fps etc might have multiple different causes and deleting shaders might fix one of the issues, not all.

That giude is very good when it comes to the things to do. For example update to latest windows10, 1909.

If you hade Everything running like a Dream, then installed 2.5.6 and got stuck with very low fps...then I really Think this thread is good. If not, I Think following the thuds guide is a good starting point.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I wonder how many people complain about performance whilst their computers rebuild the shaders during play? Because maybe they updated, launch, headset on and have no idea the dcs.log is chuntering through all the shader compiles for the new lighting effects... see bad performance, try a different terrain and a different aircraft, get the same again, use up their alloted 2 hours of game time a week and log off, rant on the forums about performance and start downgrading to the previous version before the shaders finished? Not saying it's every case, but after I cleaned out my shaders, let DCS settle, run a few cockpits and terrains, patiently, then restarted my computer and ran DCS, it was absolutely fine, for me?

This ain't my first rodeo mate. I've even played around with a 2080ti and I'm not seeing ANY significant difference over a 1080ti. There's something inherently wrong with 2.5.6 particularly with multiplayer in VR causing the GPU to be significantly under utilized (50 to 70% max).

• 2 weeks later...
TIP from senior for FPS issues

I updated the new OB update yesterday. I've got half the FPS then normal. And..... everything is back where it was. biggrin.gif

First time to load is new compiling so long load times. After that everthing is normal.

Delete User Shaders:

X:\Users\[You]\Saved Games\[DCS User Directory]\fxo\ - DELETE ALL FILES

X:\Users\[You]\Saved Games\[DCS User Directory]\metashaders2\ - DELETE ALL FILES

Delete Terrain Shaders:

X:\...(usually under Program Files)\[DCS Install Directory]\Mods\terrains\[Terrain]\misc\metacache\ - If it's there, DELETE THE "\DCS" folder entirely

Repeat for all terrains you own

Hi I am trying to determine if deleting the DCS Folders under terrain is actually reccomended from ED after a Cleanup, Repair?? I seen no other threads talking about deleting those folders where did you get this information from??

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Hello

I'm experiencing very poor performance in vr since about 2 months. Here is my hardware:

-rift s

-cpu i5 3470 3,2GHz

-ram 16gb

-gpu rtx 2080 super

-system and DCS installed on a SSD drive

I could have stable 40fps till January/February. Now it is about 20-30fps when I'm close to the ground and 40fps when on hight altitude. I love carrier ops so the pain is that I can't land on a carrier, when a carrier is in sight it's 10-20fps :( What is stange is that when I pause the game fps goes to stable 40 and when I unpause fps goes back to about 15. I suppose that there is a cpu issue. How can I check if there is a problem with my cpu? Do you also suspect that cpu is the problem here? Any ideas? For now VR is unplayable. Thank you.

Edited by cowboy6

TIP from senior for FPS issues

I updated the new OB update yesterday. I've got half the FPS then normal. And..... everything is back where it was. biggrin.gif

First time to load is new compiling so long load times. After that everthing is normal.

Delete User Shaders:

X:\Users\[You]\Saved Games\[DCS User Directory]\fxo\ - DELETE ALL FILES

X:\Users\[You]\Saved Games\[DCS User Directory]\metashaders2\ - DELETE ALL FILES

Delete Terrain Shaders:

X:\...(usually under Program Files)\[DCS Install Directory]\Mods\terrains\[Terrain]\misc\metacache\ - If it's there, DELETE THE "\DCS" folder entirely

Repeat for all terrains you own

Whilst deleting fxo and metashaders2 will help recompile shaders, deleting terrain shaders accomplishes nothing unless you are replacing them with something else, except providing you a long wait.

This confusion I believe comes from the vr shaders mod, that recommends this as part of the installation, but you only get the benefit *because* there is a change and because the base terrain shaders are not present, which forces them to recompile differently.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately this dosn't work for me:( In non vr gaming I've got about 60-70fps when I'm on a carrier (or when carrier is visible) and 110-140fps in the air. It is strange for me but lowering graphic setting doesn't give me any fps increase. Maybe my cpu is a bottleneck? Any ideas how to check that? Or maybe you have any other ideas? I forgot to mention that I've got my system and DCS installed on a SSD. Thanks in advance.

it's possible it is, if you are running 2.5.6 you are just likely to be facing the pain that is 2.5.6 in its current state... there are many threads on this

One of the latest steam vr updates has turned off reprojection. You will need to go into the steam vr files to comment and uncomment the reprojection settings again.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

leave it off there and turn it on in steam on the per application video settings, DCS needs to be running to make the change

leave it off there and turn it on in steam on the per application video settings, DCS needs to be running to make the change

Sorry, but could you point out where to find the motion reprojection option within Steam? Does it have a different name in SteamVR?

In fact, where do I select my DCS standalone version in the "application video settings"? I only see my Steam version (which I don't actually use)

2020_03_31_19_55_49_Window.jpg.942ffc6465da704f75cc2b337818098b.jpg

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

so get steam and DCS running

in steam settings select -> video -> per application video settings -> select the version of DCS you use -> motion smoothing = ENABLED

you need to make sure that default.vrsettings has the line motionReprojectonMode commented out, that means it should have // at the start of the line

Edited by speed-of-heat

so get steam and DCS running

in steam settings select -> video -> per application video settings -> select the version of DCS you use -> motion smoothing = ENABLED

you need to make sure that default.vrsettings has the line motionReprojectonMode commented out, that means it should have // at the start of the line

Ah thanks, found it. And yes I commented it out in default.vrsettings.

So what does "Use legacy reprojection mode" do? (in the same SteamVR menu)

I see it's tagged "off" by default. Should I keep that turned off?

System specs:

no idea, i don't use it

:P

Few years from now, we'll laugh about it while we sit in our VR cockpits, smoking a pipe and say something like:

"Remember the days when you needed to make a study of all those different VR settings? You even needed separate programs running in the background (with their own specific settings) to make things work. Ah yes, the good ol' days"

System specs:

Hi all,

after crying like every one for the FPS drop (huge) of version DCS 2.5.6.45915 Open Beta 2020-03-31 and all other version since 2.5.6

i tryed playing this afternoon on F18 instant action AIM9X and I had an average 18fps with ASW. It was unplayable after the last update. I was even at PD 1.0 and Flat shadow on medium etc.

my configuration is a high end one (2080Ti / 9900K /32Go / SSD etc...) I play on Rift S.

So dead for dead I tryed to install latest Nvidia Gameready (which does not support DCS in their list) as I planned to try Alyx next weekend…

I installed those driver 445.75 with the graphic setup of Nvidia and tick the box "reinitiate all parameters" as last month I followed a DCS tutorial to adapt nvidia settings for VR, It was a mess for me to understand what was the effects of each parameter.

And there: BIG MIRACLE:

40 fps stable (even higher than on 2.5.5) with PD at 1.6 in oculus debug tool.

I tryed with F18 / F14 / F16 in Nevada and PG in Freeflight mode.

I even set shadows on normal, every settings max (but visibility medium)

There is only a frame drop with the F16 when my sight is coming close to Down town in Nevada. It 's perfect in the suburbs.

Second case with F16 and F18 for FPS drop is closing static Fighters on Nallis AFB (for the F18 I have to close those parked fighters below 0.5 Nm (not accurate value) )

The FPS drop is Bang/bang type (like a GBU12^^) it's On or OFF when I look the bad direction.

It's not depending of the number of 3D objects displayed, it's obvious in this case.

With F14 and F18 there are zero FPS drop in Las Vegas (ZERO) unless sighting parked fighters, not civilian aircraft at the airport.

I made 10 différents missions, even AIM 9X practice was perfect.

It was also perfect in PG FreeFlight mission for F16 but I had to wait 30 seconds before FPS rise from 20 to 40.

Hope it helps for others, I ll try to send pictures if needed.

Hope it will be stable in time as well.

Thx ED for the work.

Tigrou, cheers from France.

I can confirm for a huge improvement in performance by not tweaking the Nvidia ppanel settings, except the power settings turned to full performance.

It's the overall best VR experience i got with DCS with video settings turned on high, shadows medium and flat and SSLR off

On steam VR i've only changed HMD resolution to 130% and in DCS PD to 1.7

i'm experiencing the best visuals ever with a very good performance on my Samsung O+

GQMsGmP

fHnRDWg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 8700K @ 4.9 ghz, SSD 850 evo, MSI Z370 Gaming Pro, GTX 1080Ti, F/A-18C in the garage, F-16C in the backyard, F-14B in the garden