HP Reverb / Pimax 5k hardware

Reverb with the rig in my sig.

I tuned settings above the VR preset and can still maintain 45/90 fps. I had to turn down several settings like visib range and msaa from my 2d settings but worth it. I don't think we'll see anybody hitting 90 fps all the time with max settings any time soon even with a 10900K/3080 Ti. Still things are moving faster than I thought they would tech wise and with a new graphics engine, maybe.

The frame interpolation on the Reverb tends to give things a smear effect, especially trees.

I just checked out your link to your Time Spy Score. For VR you definitely want to up your clockspeed on your 9900K to it's full potential. DCS likes fast single core performance.

Intel's XTU will let you OC and stability test really easily without having to mess around in your BIOS. You can also push less than 8 cores a lot higher than trying for an all core OC.

I see your max Turboboost was at 4.8 GHz on your CPU. The stock OC on the 9900K should have 3 cores at 5.0 GHz. Make sure you have your power settings set to High Performance under Windows power options.

What kind of cooling do you have? I can get my 9900K up to 5.4 on 3 cores/5.3 on 8 cores at 1.4 volts < 80 C for benchmarks. I keep it at 5.4/5.2 for everyday usage to keep voltage lower to prevent degradation. I have a custom loop though. With an air cooler you will have to adjust accordingly.

Also just for DCS purposes I would suggest Firestrike over Timespy for tuning for DCS. DCS is on DX11 not DX12. You might be able to push it a little harder and still stay stable.

If you are familiar with your BIOS I also suggest turning Hyperthreading off as DCS doesn't use it and you will have lower temps and more OC headroom.

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21784737

...My CPU barely ever goes above 50% in DCS...

DCS will never use all 8 cores with the current engine. You need to look at utilization for individual cores. DCS is constrained by performance of the core that sends the draw calls to the GPU. It will hop around but tends to settle on your fastest core if Turboboost is working properly. For me it's Core 8. I keep my core affinity at 3 cores in Process Lasso.

Regardless, it should be boosting to 5.0 GHz even for short time periods at least until if hits thermal thresholds. Those are the stock boost clocks but Windows needs to be in high performance mode to get them.

Ideally you want CPU (single core) and GPU at 90%+ utilization assuming you can keep temps within reasonable thresholds otherwise they will start to thermal throttle. Try to keep your CPU below 80-85 C and GPU below 84-88C for day to day gaming. For synthetic benchmarks where you are chasing scores you can push it to the thermal limits but it's not recommended for day to day gaming as it can cause degradation over time. Had a chat with some Intel engineers on a Reddit AMA about overclocking and they recommend keeping below 1.4 V and 80 C.

9900K and 2080 Ti are impressive chips out of the box but both should have overclocking headroom even on an average chip. You just have to tune them properly. Since you are playing VR and not constrained by the 60 fps cap of TrackIR you want to give her all she's got as Scotty would say. Just keep an eye on the temps and they'll be fine.