how to detect enemy aircraft

wolle

Am I right in saying that visual detection of enemy aircraft is virtually impossible (probably because of limitations in screen resolution), and there aren't any other detection methods other than visual, right?

Any tips/tricks (other than using labels, which is cheating, right?)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

It's a limitation of resolution. Detection is easier with anti-aliasing turned off, ensuring that single-pixel-sized objects aren't blurred into the backdrop. Many WW2-era games implement a dot and stick-figure system for longer range detection of objects, but that is not present in the DCS engine as far as I know. The only way to mimic it is to configure some Lua files to show friendly/enemy aircraft with label "dots" out to a certain distance, but this is not server enforceable, so it doesn't make for fair competition.

You should try to develop a scan pattern of the sky around your aircraft, using zoom functionality to help you find objects. With a 1080p monitor, you can see a P-51 from the forward quarter from 5-7 seconds away (head-on) without any zoom. That's not a lot of time. Make sure your ears are open for an engine blowing by.

Higher resolutions definitely yield longer detection ranges.

Also, remember the adage: "an enemy at your six o'clock is better than no enemy at all". If you heard something go by you but you can't see it, do your best to disengage, and keep an eye toward your six. You'll eventually pick him up, and can then make efforts to gain the advantage.

Lastly, turn on that rear-warning radar (AN/APS-13). It will give you a bell notification and a light if something sneaks up behind you, assuming that it's modeled correctly.

Edited by flightace37

- WH_Mouse

FlightAce, thanks for your reply. I play mostly SP. Which lua files should I have a look at (you mentioned some lua files)?

Is there a way to modify the aircraft labels? I think leaving the red dot would be a reasonable compromise to make aircraft visible, but removing the name of the aircraft and the range label.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

Am I right in saying that visual detection of enemy aircraft is virtually impossible (probably because of limitations in screen resolution), and there aren't any other detection methods other than visual, right?

In real life---GOOD EYESIGHT!

I really do not like the identifier crutches most sims use to tell who the enemy is. Knowing the enemy's plane silhouette and a bit closer its markings. A true blue sim fighter never goes on the head-on with 1st pass, we are supposedly gentlemen in the air. I rarely see that practiced, though.

Keep your TV screen clean of spit and food left-overs. What you may see as enemy may in fact be a little bit of you. LOL!

Not to worry, no enemy aircraft, yet, just some really fast missiles.

Edited by ErichVon

The file in question is DCS World/Config/View/Labels.lua. Comment out the lines you are going to change, then re-create them without the %-escapes you don't want. You can also adjust the sides colors to be pure black. The file appears to be self-documented.

- WH_Mouse

Wait until you see tracers fly past your head, then follow the trail.:D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

a technique shown to me by another member of my Squadron helps me loads,

Start an orbit at a medium to high altitude, keep your eyes focused on one particular spot on the ground and let your peripheral vision detect the movement of other aircraft.

Hope that helps

VIPER

161 SQN AEF

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i7 7700X

Corsair H70 Cooler

Corsair DDR4 RAM 32 GB 2400mhz

2x Corsair Hydro GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI

Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1TB

1200 watt Corsair PSU

ASUS 299 TUF MK II Mainboard

Corsair 800D Obsidian case

Perhaps the devs could implement something like what Falcon has. Far away object sizes are exaggerated a little. Not 100% sure but I think it was like that. Looked pretty natural to me. As configuration option, forced off in MP mission is so desired.

Perhaps the devs could implement something like what Falcon has. Far away object sizes are exaggerated a little. Not 100% sure but I think it was like that. Looked pretty natural to me. As configuration option, forced off in MP mission is so desired.

Mmmph. That's a really good way to do that. It gets rid of the color and edge problems associated with dots and stick figures. I second! Just make sure that sizing is realistic once the object would normally be a 5x5 or so pixel square.

Although to be honest... Averaging the target color and then representing it as a dot would probably provide much better performance, which is a big concern. You could use this method at longer ranges, then do a size exaggeration up to the point of a 5 pixel square, then go normal render. The pitfall to avoid is having it go from dot to render, where the render is more difficult to see than the dot at the switching distance.

You'd have to take the variable-zoom feature into account when designing this thing...

- WH_Mouse

Lastly, turn on that rear-warning radar (AN/APS-13). It will give you a bell notification and a light if something sneaks up behind you, assuming that it's modeled correctly.

Wait a sec. I thought the RWR is not implemented. Or was it detrola/IFF?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 7 months later...