HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

It appears that Best Buy has delisted the HP Reverb. I just spoke to them and even though it isn't listed they do have a limited set of Gen 1 replacements in stock. With my 45 day return situation I am better off returning it and waiting for V2 it appears unless the 45 days starts over.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/virtual-reality-devices-and-games/virtual-reality-headsets-for-pc/pcmcat1476726957734.c?id=pcmcat1476726957734

Yea I would return it and wait if you want to be safe and not deal with shipping it back and forth to HP if anything happens later. This sucks because I have not flown dcs in like 4 months. I told myself I would get back in when I get a new headset. Mainly because my original odyssey is just uncomfortable and I usually play single player campaigns..some sorties are very long and if I fail I don't retry it because it's just uncomfortable in the odyssey so far. Plus I want to better visuals too as that would help me out.

I called HP just to see what they would say.

I was told the warranty doesn't cover the unit - only "parts" - then I was told I would be better off to return it and get a newer one. Also was told they would only "send me a refurbished one"

Lol what a joke - glad my tape, fan, and cable ties are working...

That's the first I've heard of a major company saying their 1 year manufacturer warranty only covers parts. This isn't a washer or dryer, but just an tech gadget. As long as you are within the one year period an exchange should be done until you get a working one. That's very sad. I remember I had issues with a phone from Google 2 years ago. Each time I sent it back within the year and got a brand new one. Well, up until the point they started shipping refurbished units because it was 6+ months in.

Reminds me of a projector I just bought from xgimi on Amazon. Great projector, awesome picture quality but one year warranty just means I have to send it back to China because they don't have a base in US. That alone makes me contemplate sending it back to Amazon for fear of something going wrong and then I'm out about 1k.

Funny thing is I was hoping to spend a portion of that money on a V2 reverb lol.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I was just on the phone with Best Buy on the Reverb. It does sound like this version will be stopped and a new version will be sold at some point but they have no idea when. They have delisted it as Unavailable Going Forward - not Out of Stock.

It looks Like Amazon has done the same thing although there are third party sellers still selling it (Gen 1) there at outrageous prices.

Now it sounds like I must return/refund it before then and wait for a fixed one. Best Buy said that they don't have any "spares" anywhere to replace it with to start the 45 days over. (as another 45 day loaner) Bummer. Well I will have had free use of two of them for 75 days in total. :thumbup: I was their beta tester. I can't go back to the Lenovo Explorer after the Reverb. I guess I will do TrackIR on the 82" Samsung QLED 4K until something becomes available after the 27th. Three and a half weeks will fly by.

My last return date is:

Returnable until Aug 27, 2019

I am glad Best Buy is about ten minutes away.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

The way it was explained to me is if anything breaks that a part replaceable by the consumer they will ship it (controllers, ear phones, cable, straps, etc.). If it is the electronics or lenses in the headset itself they will likely replace it with a refurbished unit. They repair them but you will not get your original one back. It speeds up receiving a working unit. If they don't have refurbished ones they will send you a new one. The guy who told me that is from the group that handles it at HP.

Yea I would return it and wait if you want to be safe and not deal with shipping it back and forth to HP if anything happens later. This sucks because I have not flown dcs in like 4 months. I told myself I would get back in when I get a new headset. Mainly because my original odyssey is just uncomfortable and I usually play single player campaigns..some sorties are very long and if I fail I don't retry it because it's just uncomfortable in the odyssey so far. Plus I want to better visuals too as that would help me out.

That's the first I've heard of a major company saying their 1 year manufacturer warranty only covers parts. This isn't a washer or dryer, but just an tech gadget. As long as you are within the one year period an exchange should be done until you get a working one. That's very sad. I remember I had issues with a phone from Google 2 years ago. Each time I sent it back within the year and got a brand new one. Well, up until the point they started shipping refurbished units because it was 6+ months in.

Reminds me of a projector I just bought from xgimi on Amazon. Great projector, awesome picture quality but one year warranty just means I have to send it back to China because they don't have a base in US. That alone makes me contemplate sending it back to Amazon for fear of something going wrong and then I'm out about 1k.

Funny thing is I was hoping to spend a portion of that money on a V2 reverb lol.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Question ... I have a USB-C port on my Mobo, should I use the adapter the VR came with or just continue with the usb-3 ?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3992092#post3992092

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Question ... I have a USB-C port on my Mobo, should I use the adapter the VR came with or just continue with the usb-3 ?

Post 2569.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3992092#post3992092

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I have a SO+ and when using the flashlight, the controller draws a circle and when you move the controller around, the circle fills in with your room image in black and white.

The Reverb flashlight is different, it looks like a small black and white square TV that is stationary with reversed image of your room. As you move your head the reversed image moves but only inside the TV square and the controller flashlight circle need to be pointed at the TV image to see the image. It's really disorienting and nothing like how the SO+ does the flashlight. Anyone else have the same issue?

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I have a SO+ and when using the flashlight, the controller draws a circle and when you move the controller around, the circle fills in with your room image in black and white.

The Reverb flashlight is different, it looks like a small black and white square TV that is stationary with reversed image of your room. As you move your head the reversed image moves but only inside the TV square and the controller flashlight circle need to be pointed at the TV image to see the image. It's really disorienting and nothing like how the SO+ does the flashlight. Anyone else have the same issue?

Nope, have only seen the standard WMR flashlight on my Reverb which unsurprisingly behaves exactly the same as you describe for SO+

Nope, have only seen the standard WMR flashlight on my Reverb which unsurprisingly behaves exactly the same as you describe for SO+

Found video online of what I'm seeing.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21ACf6OjdNAyX1bog&cid=815B6A0E65161823&id=815B6A0E65161823%215895&parId=815B6A0E65161823%215894&o=OneUp

Seems it an issue for a while on WMR.

Bummer it's like this on the Reverb but I haven't used my SO+ since I updated to windows 1903.

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Question about the win ver 1903. I attempted to install that but got BSOD on initial reboot after installing it. I was running Acronis Try and Decide at the time windows rolled back to 1809 booted and then I undid any changes using try and decide.

Is 1903 needed to get full clarity / functionality out of the reverb or are we better off with 1809?

Thanks

-Gun

1903 with all cumulative updates.

Question about the win ver 1903. I attempted to install that but got BSOD on initial reboot after installing it. I was running Acronis Try and Decide at the time windows rolled back to 1809 booted and then I undid any changes using try and decide.

Is 1903 needed to get full clarity / functionality out of the reverb or are we better off with 1809?

Thanks

-Gun

Edited by Secoda

Thanks

-Gun

You will need the latest July 26th 1903 build if you don't want to download individual WMR patches and you will need to install SteamVR WMR beta too.

Thanks

-Gun

I don't know if you'll be able to tell the difference between 1809 vs 1903 (with WMR fix).

I don't know if it matters in terms of performance, *but* in 1809, you do have to crank up the SS% to 180'ish. It's much lower with 1093. On surface, it would make sense that less SS is easier. But I'm not 100% sure.

I find that I have better luck if I download the Upgrade assistant and do the upgrade. You may want to give that a shot. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Good luck.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I do have steam beta running.

The july 26th build is kb4505903?

it says that is applies to win 10 1903...which implies that I need to have 1903 first.

I will try the upgrade assistant!

Thanks

-Gun

May or may not be relevant. After uploading and installing 1903 and all the cumulative patches, I had a look to see if Nvidia had a new driver out. Yep, they did, only a couple of days old.

So selected Windows 10 64bit and GeForce 2080Ti as usual. Downloaded it.

Upon trying to install it, it said this particular driver was no good for my machine and I should use GeForce experience to select the correct version of the new driver. Downloaded GeForce experience, it downloaded another driver and installed it without problem.

Never had a problem before and it is odd that two versions of the same driver had been released. Maybe the second one was specifically for the updated 1903?

Wondering if that may have been causing your bsod?

If I keep running into issues with 1903 update ill remove the geforce driver and try again.

Im hoping that try and decide isnt causing the issue. Thats a great piece of software..."oh damn I just bricked by PC here let me discard those changes" and back to normal

I'm waiting on Amazon to restock since I had to return mine.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

So random questions here.

What is the actual advantage to using the beta version. Subjectively it seems to run better without the beta for me. Also, the beta won't start from the desktop steam menu (I have to boot into steamVR, fire up a controller and do it that way).

Second question pertaining to SRS/voice attack. With the rift, they recognized the rift audio even when shut down. This doesn't happen with the WMR headset, if its off, its off. Meaning the apps crash and I have to start them AFTER I get the headset running. Any pro-tips on that?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

https://steamcommunity.com/games/719950/announcements/detail/1595879210221352290

So random questions here.

What is the actual advantage to using the beta version. Subjectively it seems to run better without the beta for me. Also, the beta won't start from the desktop steam menu (I have to boot into steamVR, fire up a controller and do it that way).

S

I got the 1903 update to work. The issue was attempting to run try and decide during the update.

now because I just installed this are the mentioned patches included like the july 26th build? Looking at these builds mentioned in this thread it says yes they will be automatically installed using windows update.

I dont see them in my update history and win update says it "good to go" I have no idea if im running these patches or not.

winver shows Build 18362.267 Can we Identify if a system would require a patch like KB4505903 (july 26th build) based on the build id?? If I look at July 26th build it shows the same build number I have now in its title "July 26, 2019—KB4505903 (OS Build 18362.267)"

Thanks

Edited by Gun Jam

I just kept going into Windows update / check for updates time after time after each download, until it finally said no more updates available.

I got the 1903 update to work. The issue was attempting to run try and decide during the update.

now because I just installed this are the mentioned patches included like the july 26th build? Looking at these builds mentioned in this thread it says yes they will be automatically installed using windows update.

I dont see them in my update history and win update says it "good to go" I have no idea if im running these patches or not.

winver shows Build 18362.267 Can we Identify if a system would require a patch like KB4505903 (july 26th build) based on the build id?? If I look at July 26th build it shows the same build number I have now in its title "July 26, 2019—KB4505903 (OS Build 18362.267)"

Thanks

Don't forget to install SteamVR Window Mix Reality beta too.

Edited by Naruto

Interesting, how does this interface with just SteamVR...

I have the same "clarity" between the beta and stable versions of steamVr for WMR. But I am running the beta version of SteamVR.

Based on that post I should be getting better perfromance with the Beta WMR for SteamVR, but I notice almost no difference, and I'd say the stable actually seems to work better.

And what exactly is "scaling capability"

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I went back to the stable version myself. They really have refined the performance with some of these updates. Especially the smoothness. :smilewink:

Interesting, how does this interface with just SteamVR...

I have the same "clarity" between the beta and stable versions of steamVr for WMR. But I am running the beta version of SteamVR.

Based on that post I should be getting better perfromance with the Beta WMR for SteamVR, but I notice almost no difference, and I'd say the stable actually seems to work better.

And what exactly is "scaling capability"

Think I'm going to go back to stable too.....got some other games crashing out in steam vr now

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2