Im having a problem, can someone teach me how to avoid a missile?

So, i've been flying my F15C for about 30 hrs now, and i love it, it's great, i've read the manual and watched a lot of videos on it's radar, nav system, weapons, etc...

But i have a question, how does one avoid a missile? I've managed to do so sometimes but 7/10 times i get blowed out of the skies.

To be more specific:

-Any tips to SPOT the missile? (Graphical setings or just tips)

-which maneuvers should i make/when to make them?

-when I get to RPI, should I fox and once the missile goes pitbull i should start defending?

-How can i avoid a missile that has already reached RTR and is coming hot on me?

-Any tips to start a combat with 1 or 2 bogeys, get to RTR, fire and maybe avoid their missiles?

-How to make the target loose it's radar lock on me?

-Also, any specifc tip to avoid a Heat seeking missile?

-Thank you guys very much! :D

PS: Any video would also be welcome!

• Like 1

PC Specs: RTX 2070 (8GB) + I5-9600K + 32GB RAM.

Stuff for the sim: Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS + TFRP Rudder pedals, Track IR5.

Modules: FC3, A10C, F/A-18C, F16C, F14A/B, MiG-21Bis, AJS-37, F5E, F86F-35, M2000C, Ka-50, P51D, Bf-109K4, Fw-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk IX, L39, CA.

Maps: Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy 1944 + WWII Assets Pack.

Campaigns: A10C:The Enemy Within.

1 look around for white streaks. Once the rocket moter burns out it becomes practicly impossible to spot missiles, especially outside 06/01 noon flying conditions.

against most radar missiles it's a valid tactic to try and put the missile on your 3/9 line. that means keeping the missile exactly on your 3 o clock or 9 o clock. In simple terms, a lot of radars are sensitive to objects closing in on them or moving away from them ( if you want to know more you can look up the doppler effect ). by keeping the missile on this azimuth it does not close in on you any more or less than it does on the surrounding terrain, allowing you to blend in better with the terrain or your countermeasures.

you can use ECM to deny the enemy a long range shot. ECM works by making fake radar reflections, denying the enemy most information but your azimuth towards him. ECM is useful but far from perfect. Enemies can send completely passive radar missiles that just 'listen' to your ECM and destroy you without you noticing them coming. at short ranges, enemy planes 'burn' through your ECM and gather enough information for a radar guided missile launch anyway. Lastly ECM takes some time to power up, around 10 seconds or so. ECM is also 'noisy'. enemies are notified of your presence.

You may attempt maneuvres to defeat the missile if you think the missile was launched at you close to it's maximum range. by making maneuvres you hope to bleed off it's energy by making it move before it ever reaches you. I don't think there are any specific maneuvres you need to do, just as long as you do not destroy your own energy and keep consideration of other threats. Good moves to make would be those that change your direction but sustain your energy, like the split-S or Immelmann turn. At close to medium ranges you should not hold high hopes to defeat a missile with maneuvres, you may get lucky, sometimes. But missiles can typically pull way more G forces than you can, I think the AIM-9 can pull 40g wich is over 4 times higher than you can while you blackout after a few seconds of doing that.

You should not fox at RPI. RPI is the maximum range at a target that will not attempt to maneuvre to avoid the missile. this gives a low Pk, close to zero against a fighter. You should fox at RTR, by foxing at RTR the missile will have enough energy to defeat the target even if it is pulling several G's to avoid it. Missiles naturally inherit your speed and altitude, so a good way to extend your range is by flying higher and faster ( drop those fueltanks! they are called droptanks for a reason :) IRL they are often taken back to base but if an air to air fight would take place they will surely be dropped off. you can go way faster without all that parasitic drag )

telling how to to engage 2 bandits is not really possible. there's no move that works every time. Experience should dictate what is the best course of action. A possible, highly aggressive move you could make is to put your scan cone to NARROW ( 30°

, then engage TWR ( Track while Scan ) mode. This allows you to lock up both bad guys at the same time, and shoot AIM120's at both of them. the TWR lock is greatly inferior to STT ( single target track ) and the lock on can be lost by as much as making maneuvres. TWR works by checking where the target is, predict where it would be during the next cycle, proceed scanning, and then during the next cycle check if the target is at the predicted spot. While you may sometimes get lucky and splash 4 guys in a headon, the Pk is much lower, and I personally regard it the airforce equivalent of suppresive fire, allowing you and your wingmen to take up offensive positions after pitbull.

Against heatseekers, while some of them like the AIM9M are all-aspect, it's best to not show your rear aspect to them. you cannot see them there, they do not give any warning and thats where they have the best lock. When you do notice a launch, throttle down ( atleast out of afterburner ) and drop flares in a pattern ( par example while doing an aileron roll ).

Here's some bonus tips:

Learn how to interpret BRAA ( bearing range altitude aspect ) reports without giving it thought. In a lot of missions where air superiority is your task you will be working alongside an AWACS craft. they will sometimes make reports to you sounding something like "springfield 1-1. BRAA 320 for 80, 7000 hot." This means there are enemies bearing 320 degrees of your current position, 80 nautical miles out, flying 7000 feet high, CLOSING IN on YOUR position ( hot ). Quickly understanding what the awacs is trying to say to you is good for your situational awareness. Since the radar on AWACS is powerful enough to detect the aspect of the target ( your radar can only do so after aquiring an STT lock ) you could tune the frequency of your radar to increase the chance and quality of detection to the target aspect ( hot = approaching you, cold = moving away from you, flanking = moving astern ) while u can use BRAA aggressively u can also use it to not get shot in the back. u can use the / key to ask the AWACS for bogey dope ( closest contactcs ) or picture ( all known contacts ).

Check my F-15C guide

Hey Jogui3000, good to see you on the forums. I know I've seen you around the MP servers. :thumbup:

One question first: do you want the answers more general or more specific to fighting certain planes like F-15 or SU-27?

You can be specific or not, i just want general tips on avoiding missiles, it doesn't matter which one or which plane is shooting at me, but if you do want to be specific, no problems, I would appreciate it aswell. :D

Edited by Jogui3000

Modules: FC3, A10C, F/A-18C, F16C, F14A/B, MiG-21Bis, AJS-37, F5E, F86F-35, M2000C, Ka-50, P51D, Bf-109K4, Fw-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk IX, L39, CA.

1 look around for white streaks. Once the rocket moter burns out it becomes practicly impossible to spot missiles, especially outside 06/01 noon flying conditions.

against most radar missiles it's a valid tactic to try and put the missile on your 3/9 line. that means keeping the missile exactly on your 3 o clock or 9 o clock. In simple terms, a lot of radars are sensitive to objects closing in on them or moving away from them ( if you want to know more you can look up the doppler effect ). by keeping the missile on this azimuth it does not close in on you any more or less than it does on the surrounding terrain, allowing you to blend in better with the terrain or your countermeasures.

you can use ECM to deny the enemy a long range shot. ECM works by making fake radar reflections, denying the enemy most information but your azimuth towards him. ECM is useful but far from perfect. Enemies can send completely passive radar missiles that just 'listen' to your ECM and destroy you without you noticing them coming. at short ranges, enemy planes 'burn' through your ECM and gather enough information for a radar guided missile launch anyway. Lastly ECM takes some time to power up, around 10 seconds or so. ECM is also 'noisy'. enemies are notified of your presence.

You may attempt maneuvres to defeat the missile if you think the missile was launched at you close to it's maximum range. by making maneuvres you hope to bleed off it's energy by making it move before it ever reaches you. I don't think there are any specific maneuvres you need to do, just as long as you do not destroy your own energy and keep consideration of other threats. Good moves to make would be those that change your direction but sustain your energy, like the split-S or Immelmann turn. At close to medium ranges you should not hold high hopes to defeat a missile with maneuvres, you may get lucky, sometimes. But missiles can typically pull way more G forces than you can, I think the AIM-9 can pull 40g wich is over 4 times higher than you can while you blackout after a few seconds of doing that.

You should not fox at RPI. RPI is the maximum range at a target that will not attempt to maneuvre to avoid the missile. this gives a low Pk, close to zero against a fighter. You should fox at RTR, by foxing at RTR the missile will have enough energy to defeat the target even if it is pulling several G's to avoid it. Missiles naturally inherit your speed and altitude, so a good way to extend your range is by flying higher and faster ( drop those fueltanks! they are called droptanks for a reason :) IRL they are often taken back to base but if an air to air fight would take place they will surely be dropped off. you can go way faster without all that parasitic drag )

telling how to to engage 2 bandits is not really possible. there's no move that works every time. Experience should dictate what is the best course of action. A possible, highly aggressive move you could make is to put your scan cone to NARROW ( 30°

, then engage TWR ( Track while Scan ) mode. This allows you to lock up both bad guys at the same time, and shoot AIM120's at both of them. the TWR lock is greatly inferior to STT ( single target track ) and the lock on can be lost by as much as making maneuvres. TWR works by checking where the target is, predict where it would be during the next cycle, proceed scanning, and then during the next cycle check if the target is at the predicted spot. While you may sometimes get lucky and splash 4 guys in a headon, the Pk is much lower, and I personally regard it the airforce equivalent of suppresive fire, allowing you and your wingmen to take up offensive positions after pitbull.

Against heatseekers, while some of them like the AIM9M are all-aspect, it's best to not show your rear aspect to them. you cannot see them there, they do not give any warning and thats where they have the best lock. When you do notice a launch, throttle down ( atleast out of afterburner ) and drop flares in a pattern ( par example while doing an aileron roll ).

Here's some bonus tips:

Learn how to interpret BRAA ( bearing range altitude aspect ) reports without giving it thought. In a lot of missions where air superiority is your task you will be working alongside an AWACS craft. they will sometimes make reports to you sounding something like "springfield 1-1. BRAA 320 for 80, 7000 hot." This means there are enemies bearing 320 degrees of your current position, 80 nautical miles out, flying 7000 feet high, CLOSING IN on YOUR position ( hot ). Quickly understanding what the awacs is trying to say to you is good for your situational awareness. Since the radar on AWACS is powerful enough to detect the aspect of the target ( your radar can only do so after aquiring an STT lock ) you could tune the frequency of your radar to increase the chance and quality of detection to the target aspect ( hot = approaching you, cold = moving away from you, flanking = moving astern ) while u can use BRAA aggressively u can also use it to not get shot in the back. u can use the / key to ask the AWACS for bogey dope ( closest contactcs ) or picture ( all known contacts ).

Thank you very much!

Yeah, i use the TWS a lot and the ECM too, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not... :(

But than, what can i do to avoid the enemie missile if he is already close to me?, i know it might be hard, but, if there is any good tactic for it id' love to know...

I keep watching Ralfidude's channel and he does that a lot, I try to fly like him but i get destroyed 7 out of 10 times i do so hahahah...

But hey, this is what i generaly do:

I get the contact locked on with TWS, and when i have more than one, i Fox at RTR in the first one and bewtween RPI and RTR at the second guy if he is further away... the main problem i face is that, when i get to RTR and i fox, I will most likely get the kill, but I will also be shot down, the only way i've found to survive that kind of engagement is to dive in full afterburner to the ground while using ECM and chaffing like crazy :megalol:

Than i start to turn very hard, but most of the times, I get myself killed (whenever i have sucess, it's because a mountain was there to cover me from the missile...)

Any tips for that kinf of situation? :book:

EDIT: Also, any tips for not being spoted by the enemy?

Edited by Jogui3000

Ok, I'll be a little more general and if you want me to elaborate on any part just say so.

BVR: Flying higher is usually better and flying faster is almost always better. Having altitude and speed translate to being able to dodge missiles better. In a head on engagement, when not lining up a missile launch, you're going to want to be cranked. Which means putting the target on the edge of your radar. This helps reduce the closure time between you and your target. More importantly, this will allow you to enter the notch with only a 30 degree turn. I won't go into all different BVR tactics, I'll skip to missile avoidance.

When fired on by an F-15, you won't get an initial missile warning. So generally you want to try to be anticipating his missile launches to a degree. We could spend pages and pages on the tactics of timing your and his launches and positoning and reactions. So skipping ahead... generally the first launched missiles will be soon after max range. Taking this into account when his missile locks you and goes active it probably won't have a lot of energy left. You can just dump some chaff and turn away to defeat the missile. You have to time your turn back towards him well. Too early and you'll turn back into his missile, too late and he's already pointed back at you first and has launched another missile. So now after first shots, you're closer together. The next launches will be much more dangerous to both of you. You want to get your second (or third maybe) missile off as fast a possible. Once that one goes active, you're probably going to want to start extending immediately. If not already, his missile should be going active now and you need to really dodge this one. :D

At his point you sort of have 2 options. You're going to need to either dive away or dive into the notch. Usually I try to just run and not notch, since if you try to notch unsuccessfully, you're pretty much dead. WhIle you are doing either of these, you should be gaining a lot of speed and dropping a lot of chaff. This may not be enough... You should try to time in your head when the missile is about to hit you and turn very hard when you expect the hit. This hard turn may allow you to bleed enough of the missiles energy away at the last second to escape. Now if your missile has not hit either, you will have to time your turn back again and go another round with him. At this point it may be another close BVR shot or a visual range heater shot.

The really hard part is that all this maneuvering happens in a matter of seconds. :D

I won't go into vs. the SU-27 since a lot of the basic tactics are similar. I'll put the visual range tips in a separate post.

Edited by Ultra

WVR tips: once in visual range it is imperative that you do not lose sight of the bandit. That one is obvious, but really important. Visual range fights turn into basic flight maneuver fights. So I would recommend brushing up on the basic energy maneuvers and maintaining corner speed and such. Remember the Russian fighters have a large advantage in WVR maneuvering, avionics, and weapons.

I'll skip to missile avoiding specifically. With heaters, you need to see the launch, or at the very least anticipate it correctly. If he launches in very good position, you might just be dead to rights. Sometimes there is really nothing you can do. But if you see the launch and are maneuvering hard and he is in worse position you may have a chance. You should drop out of afterburner if you are in it. Continue to maneuver hard and begin dropping a lot of flares. Enough flares may saturated the missiles seeker and it can miss. I don't really know of any other tricks for WVR heaters than hard maneuvering and lots of flares.

A few additions:

- Don't leave ECM on once the enemy is in firing range. His radar has already burned through and your ECM will just act as a back up homing source for his missile if you try to notch it.

- I didn't mention radar missiles in WVR since if he gets a good parameter Aim 120 shot at close range, you are very dead. :D

Hope all this is helpful info. :)

Ok, I'll be a little more general and if you want me to elaborate on any part just say so.

BVR: Flying higher is usually better and flying faster is almost always better. Having altitude and speed translate to being able to dodge missiles better. In a head on engagement, when not lining up a missile launch, you're going to want to be cranked. Which means putting the target on the edge of your radar. This helps reduce the closure time between you and your target. More importantly, this will allow you to enter the notch with only a 30 degree turn. I won't go into all different BVR tactics, I'll skip to missile avoidance.

When fired on by an F-15, you won't get an initial missile warning. So generally you want to try to be anticipating his missile launches to a degree. We could spend pages and pages on the tactics of timing your and his launches and positoning and reactions. So skipping ahead... generally the first launched missiles will be soon after max range. Taking this into account when his missile locks you and goes active it probably won't have a lot of energy left. You can just dump some chaff and turn away to defeat the missile. You have to time your turn back towards him well. Too early and you'll turn back into his missile, too late and he's already pointed back at you first and has launched another missile. So now after first shots, you're closer together. The next launches will be much more dangerous to both of you. You want to get your second (or third maybe) missile off as fast a possible. Once that one goes active, you're probably going to want to start extending immediately. If not already, his missile should be going active now and you need to really dodge this one. :D

At his point you sort of have 2 options. You're going to need to either dive away or dive into the notch. Usually I try to just run and not notch, since if you try to notch unsuccessfully, you're pretty much dead. WhIle you are doing either of these, you should be gaining a lot of speed and dropping a lot of chaff. This may not be enough... You should try to time in your head when the missile is about to hit you and turn very hard when you expect the hit. This hard turn may allow you to bleed enough of the missiles energy away at the last second to escape. Now if your missile has not hit either, you will have to time your turn back again and go another round with him. At this point it may be another close BVR shot or a visual range heater shot.

The really hard part is that all this maneuvering happens in a matter of seconds. :D

I won't go into vs. the SU-27 since a lot of the basic tactics are similar. I'll put the visual range tips in a separate post.

WVR tips: once in visual range it is imperative that you do not lose sight of the bandit. That one is obvious, but really important. Visual range fights turn into basic flight maneuver fights. So I would recommend brushing up on the basic energy maneuvers and maintaining corner speed and such. Remember the Russian fighters have a large advantage in WVR maneuvering, avionics, and weapons.

I'll skip to missile avoiding specifically. With heaters, you need to see the launch, or at the very least anticipate it correctly. If he launches in very good position, you might just be dead to rights. Sometimes there is really nothing you can do. But if you see the launch and are maneuvering hard and he is in worse position you may have a chance. You should drop out of afterburner if you are in it. Continue to maneuver hard and begin dropping a lot of flares. Enough flares may saturated the missiles seeker and it can miss. I don't really know of any other tricks for WVR heaters than hard maneuvering and lots of flares.

A few additions:

- Don't leave ECM on once the enemy is in firing range. His radar has already burned through and your ECM will just act as a back up homing source for his missile if you try to notch it.

- I didn't mention radar missiles in WVR since if he gets a good parameter Aim 120 shot at close range, you are very dead. :D

Hope all this is helpful info. :)

Thank you very much aswell!

I had been making the mistake of leaving the jammer ON :/

Can you give me any tactics for BVR combat?

I've used your tips right now in a server and i've managed to take 2 down before an Su-27 Shot me down with an R27ET

Btw, could you be specific on the R27ET? (since it's the one the Su 27s fire the most)

(Is that a heat seeker? i never get a launch warning when they fire one :/ )

yes thats a heater. the R27ER is a radar missile variant of it. Su 27's can lock you up without the radar, using their electro-optical device. The only warning you will get is a short blip on your RWR when he IFF's you, if he even decides to do that. He then proceeds to shoot a R27ET or any of the other heatseekers like R73's at you.

Understanding your enemy is winning half the battle. Here's a great Su-27 PvP guide. You can use it to immerse yourself in the su-27 flow. that electro optical device is shown on page 10 and mentioned throughout the guide.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By_jGRnxUhnUSGNLeGNZS0R1aG8/view

Check my F-15C guide

Glad to help!

could you be specific on the R27ET? (since it's the one the Su 27s fire the most)

(Is that a heat seeker? i never get a launch warning when they fire one :/ )

Yes, it's the Russian's medium range heat seeker, something our F-15C doesn't have. It's a great asset for the SU-27. The ET has decent range, I don't know really know the numbers for it though (maybe like 20 km). The key is that they have to lock you with the EOS radar when it's still BVR, this means they must be facing you the same as they would for radar. It can't reach out like they're radar missile so they have to wait until it's a somewhat closer fight. Putting those 2 things together means that they have to turn back into you at fairly close BVR range. This is very dangerous for them. Here's where you come in. You need to anticipate them turning around to fire it. When they start making the turn, you should see that on your radar, you need to preemptively loose another amraam. They won't see it coming (using TWS mode) and they will probably continue to turn and fire. You need to let the amraam go active, and then turn away and defeat the ET (which isn't too hard if you run and drop some flares). They should be killed from turning into your missile. You won't ever know if they actually fired the ET since it's IR, but if they're turning back into you when you're chasing, you can bet that's what they're doing.

^^^Notice how in this situation you are already chasing them. In the F-15 vs. SU-27 you should already have them on the defensive and running after the first volley or 2 of missiles, since you have Active missiles and they don't. If they try to come at you head on to fire an ET, you should kill them before they even get in range.

Another important part of this is that you don't lose radar lock for more than a second or two. Radar manipulation is one of the most important things in the F-15. They may notch you for a bit and then try to turn in and fire an ET. If they do this, you can apply the above scenario the same way. Reaquire with radar as quickly as possible, don't waste time trying to use TWS if it's not working, you need to reaquire immediately! Once re-locked immediately fire an amraam at them as they finish turning into you. Same as above, they've fired an ET, when you're missile goes active (which should be in a second or two at these ranges) turn away and defeat their probable ET launch. They should be killed by the amraam at these ranges.

Edited by Ultra

Can you give me any tactics for BVR combat?

I would recommend finding the couple of huge threads on here about BVR combat advice. The forum members that commented on those threads in detail are much more knowledgeable than me about the finer elements of BVR fighting and I feel I would not do you enough justice trying to explain all of it myself. :)

EDIT: Also bear in mind that some of these tactics I talked about are what I've come to use and other members might have different opinions.

Edited by Ultra

yes thats a heater. the R27ER is a radar missile variant of it. Su 27's can lock you up without the radar, using their electro-optical device. The only warning you will get is a short blip on your RWR when he IFF's you, if he even decides to do that. He then proceeds to shoot a R27ET or any of the other heatseekers like R73's at you.

Understanding your enemy is winning half the battle. Here's a great Su-27 PvP guide. You can use it to immerse yourself in the su-27 flow. that electro optical device is shown on page 10 and mentioned throughout the guide.

Glad to help!

Yes, it's the Russian's medium range heat seeker, something our F-15C doesn't have. It's a great asset for the SU-27. The ET has decent range, I don't know really know the numbers for it though (maybe like 20 km). The key is that they have to lock you with the EOS radar when it's still BVR, this means they must be facing you the same as they would for radar. It can't reach out like they're radar missile so they have to wait until it's a somewhat closer fight. Putting those 2 things together means that they have to turn back into you at fairly close BVR range. This is very dangerous for them. Here's where you come in. You need to anticipate them turning around to fire it. When they start making the turn, you should see that on your radar, you need to preemptively loose another amraam. They won't see it coming (using TWS mode) and they will probably continue to turn and fire. You need to let the amraam go active, and then turn away and defeat the ET (which isn't too hard if you run and drop some flares). They should be killed from turning into your missile. You won't ever know if they actually fired the ET since it's IR, but if they're turning back into you when you're chasing, you can bet that's what they're doing.

^^^Notice how in this situation you are already chasing them. In the F-15 vs. SU-27 you should already have them on the defensive and running after the first volley or 2 of missiles, since you have Active missiles and they don't. If they try to come at you head on to fire an ET, you should kill them before they even get in range.

Another important part of this is that you don't lose radar lock for more than a second or two. Radar manipulation is one of the most important things in the F-15. They may notch you for a bit and then try to turn in and fire an ET. If they do this, you can apply the above scenario the same way. Reaquire with radar as quickly as possible, don't waste time trying to use TWS if it's not working, you need to reaquire immediately! Once re-locked immediately fire an amraam at them as they finish turning into you. Same as above, they've fired an ET, when you're missile goes active (which should be in a second or two at these ranges) turn away and defeat their probable ET launch. They should be killed by the amraam at these ranges.

Thanks for the info everyone, i'll apply that when i get home today hehe :)

Btw, is there any graphical setting that makes it easier to spot the missiles?:pilotfly:

Glad to help!

Thanks for the Help again! Wish me luck in the skies hehehehe :D

Btw, is there any graphical setting that makes it easier to spot the missiles?:pilotfly:

I don't know of anything that really makes a noticeable difference for this.

Thanks for the Help again! Wish me luck in the skies hehehehe :D

Good luck! The more you practice, the more comfortable and confident you'll get. Then you can become more aggressive. :thumbup:

It seems that you may be in a much different time zone than me (I'm East US), but if we're ever both on MP the same time, I always enjoy jumping on TS and teaming up if you're into that.

Glad to help!

I don't know of anything that really makes a noticeable difference for this.

Good luck! The more you practice, the more comfortable and confident you'll get. Then you can become more aggressive. :thumbup:

It seems that you may be in a much different time zone than me (I'm East US), but if we're ever both on MP the same time, I always enjoy jumping on TS and teaming up if you're into that.

Today on the servers, i used your tips, avoided 1 R73 and 2 R27ETs, managed to shoot down two Su-27s and land after, thank you very much again, helped a lot! :thumbup: