P-51 Propeller Volumeric effect

Hueyman

No matter the camera shutter speed or ISO settings, who ever saw a P-51 up close on an airshow can tell you the side 90° view the prop looks ridiculously thin. Even with a fine pitch, engine idling.

Well said !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

No amount of posting what the camera sees changes the physics into what the eye and brain percieve.

This is how flight sims in the past ended up with cartoony propeller animations.

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

1. No, I do not have a pen. 2. Indicating 250

No amount of posting what the camera sees changes the physics into what the eye and brain percieve.

This is how flight sims in the past ended up with cartoony propeller animations.

While I do agree with your post (crappy early prop animation mods for IL2'46 anyone?), I can not but wonder about its purpose since we have in several posts here already established that props in general look great in DCS, even on P-51. The solely problem being that side view, which really is hard to miss when looking at the external model.

Now, having seen a P-51 taxi very close to me earlier this year, and knowing about this bug for a long time now, I have payed special attention how the prop looks like in real life. The camera and YT links here (again, not talking about propeller camera distortion from any other view that 90°) only back this up.

In other words, if P-51 prop is correct, than all others are wrong since animation on the said prop is different than others when viewed from 90° side. If other two prop jobs aren't enough, take a look at the HUEY for instance. Even tail rotor shows clear variations in pitch when manipulating rudder.

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

In other words, if P-51 prop is correct, than all others are wrong since animation on the said prop is different than others when viewed from 90° side. If other two prop jobs aren't enough, take a look at the HUEY for instance. Even tail rotor shows clear variations in pitch when manipulating rudder.

Indeed. As this thread deserves more side-view screenshots, here are the ones with 109 and 190. The moving prop is a little bit thinner, but not twice thinner as on the 51.

mix.jpg.253dbadc264493843570c0bf9fd245a5.jpg

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

So true

Thanks Art-J for the picts.

Here you can see the spinning prop effect has the same shape as the prop blades, that's all we want to ne corrected..

The too small width is just a side of the problem, look at DCS P51 side prop shape, it's not curved, doesn't follow the shape twist and curve of the blades, it's like if the prop has plain straight paddles instead of blades...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

• ED Team
P0uIhfX.jpg

uGsOHTF.jpg

I guess I talked to Space... about the fast shutter, etc.... :)

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I guess I talked to Space... about the fast shutter, etc.... :)

I didn't get that impression. It is very clear to us (well me, at least) what you said. No one here expects to count blades, or see a fully black rotating propeller (no opacity).

Please compare images from post #54 and with #28.

• Like 1

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

Crumpp says:

Thor says in reference to my statement above:

I can not but wonder about its purpose

It's purpose was to point out that Yo-Yo explained the camera picture physics and why it was not relevant to keep spamming the thread with pictures.

Which is why Yo-Yo replied:

Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post

I guess I talked to Space... about the fast shutter, etc....

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

1. No, I do not have a pen. 2. Indicating 250

I was about to ask a question whether anyone else things we're spamming this thread, however I am not interested in an answer since it would lead to OT.

IMO everything has already been said and evidence provided. I don't know of a better way of backing up what I have seen with my own eyes other that with what was already posted here.

It has been years since I first reported this bug, if nothing else I am glad others see it too.

• ED Team

Ok... yesterday I AGREED that the prop now is not correct. What is this current discussion about?

And the only point of my posts was that RIGHT BLADE SHAPE as it must be for an eye is not exactly as the blade shape is.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I noticed your comment but was unsure what exactly you meant by it. Thanks for clarification.

Can we hope for a fix in not too distant future, development time permitting of course?

• 3 years later...

2019 and a new updated 3D model... with no changes to the thin 3D prop model:

Digital-Combat-Simulator-Black-Shark-Screenshot-2019-01-20-11.png Digital-Combat-Simulator-Black-Shark-Screenshot-2019-01-20-11.png Digital-Combat-Simulator-Black-Shark-Screenshot-2019-01-20-11.png Digital-Combat-Simulator-Black-Shark-Screenshot-2019-01-20-11.png

Any hope we get this fixed any time in the future? Perhaps fixed is the wrong word, "up to standard" of other warbirds would be a better term.

Edited by T}{OR

• 3 months later...
2019 and a new updated 3D model... with no changes to the thin 3D prop model:

Digital-Combat-Simulator-Black-Shark-Screenshot-2019-01-20-11.png Digital-Combat-Simulator-Black-Shark-Screenshot-2019-01-20-11.png Digital-Combat-Simulator-Black-Shark-Screenshot-2019-01-20-11.png Digital-Combat-Simulator-Black-Shark-Screenshot-2019-01-20-11.png

Any hope we get this fixed any time in the future? Perhaps fixed is the wrong word, "up to standard" of other warbirds would be a better term.

looks like p-51 prop is hardcoded in game so cant be changed

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

i will bring another thing in to this thred.

ok p-51's side prop thicknes is visiable if you look at your plane maby prop is too thin but it's ok

but when you look at other player's p-51 prop is thin as sheet of paper that is main problem here i realy dont care about my prop i much more care about other playe's props in game

this is example

this is how it looks whne you fly formation with another p-51 props for spit bf and fw are much thicker but still they are quite thin compare when you look at your plane.

oYZ9CeL.jpg

this one is my plane

MznD9vT.jpg

check this one have nice pitch on the blades :P

Voodoo_P_51_2014_Gold_Champion_photo_D_Ramey_Logan.jpg

the same thing for spit

someone's plane

WLjMbUk.jpg

my plane

Nuaw04Z.jpg

i case of spit its ok but in case bf109 someone's plane prop is very thin too

i think why is that?

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 6 months later...

Bumping this

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]