targeting system capability question

zangler

How do you actually deliver a JDAM? do you use a CCRP or is it enough to lock the target with a pod?

WOOOOoooooo

------------------------------------------------------

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2GHz Black edition

8GB DDR3 1333

GeForce GTX580

Windows 7 64bit

Choose a target - you may do so in a number of ways:

Set a new Waypoint

Set target with the Pod

Set target with Maverick

Set target with HUD

Get target from datalink

You then set the target SPI, and CCRP the JDAM against it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

thanks for the fast answer! that sounds fairly simple.. but im sure its still complicated enough for me to spend weeks in training :P

WOOOOoooooo

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2GHz Black edition

8GB DDR3 1333

GeForce GTX580

Windows 7 64bit

Wow, set target with Maverick even. This is sensor integration at its finest.

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

I wonder if the DCS:A-10C will have alternate bomb delivery modes. I'm thinking specifically about toss or loft bombing (hard bombs, or CBU's or GBU's).

Is low level pop-up toss delivery a valid tactical (and FCS technical) approach with the A-10C?

Also, how about a high altitude loft to increase range?

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

Is low level pop-up toss delivery a valid tactical (and FCS technical) approach with the A-10C?

Also, how about a high altitude loft to increase range?

Obviously, I have no knowledge of how DCS will handle these capabilities.

That said, yes, a low-level loft delivery is a valid tactic in the A-10, but is generally limited due to the low kinetic range of free-fall bombs at typical release airspeeds.

On the other hand, the A-10 makes extensive use of low-altitude CCRP loft rockets, especially when marking targets in the FAC(A) role in a high-threat environment.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

I think that was for nuclear bombs, giving maximum hang time to get the heck out of dodge after a low level entry... and I guess the little block of text in the corner agrees.

All this "targeting the JDAM" is all in-flight stuff which is only the reverse of the coin when it comes to JDAM. You should be able to punch in the coordinates on the ground and take the thing up in a wicker hot air balloon basket and throw it over the side and have it hit. We will be able to pickle in the energy window over the target without doing any in-flight targeting and hit the pre-programmed coordinates, right?

You don't. You program the coordinates into your EGI.

There is no digital cartridge system in DCS for now, and that's how you'd do it in a real plane if you wanted to program it 'on the ground'.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

That seems odd. There's already a de facto cartilage system for DCS:BS already. A lot of info from the mission editor/planner gets magically inserted into the ABRIS and PVI as it is. The only difference between that and a cartridge is that the info is available from the word go instead of hidden until you press the "load cartridge" command.

So I pick out a lat/long target on the mission planner I can't easily program it I have to write the numbers on a 3x5 card and then manually enter it once in cockpit? I better buy some more 3x5 cards.

So I pick out a lat/long target on the mission planner I can't easily program it I have to write the numbers on a 3x5 card and then manually enter it once in cockpit? I better buy some more 3x5 cards.

Well you could just make your target point a waypoint in the mission planner. All waypoints are automatically SPIs. I can't remember if bullseye points are working or not...I think they are... If so, just mark your target as a bullseye point in the mission planner and use that as your SPI. Added benefit is that Mavs and the TGP can automatically slew to these points as well.

The "Combat Mission Ready" (CMR) Training Sylibus for A-10 Pilots contains training regiments, requirements and qualification testing criteria for Toss System Delivery as a part of the Primary Weapons Delivery Qualification for Unguided Munitions Events.

Toss (Dive or Level) System Delivery. Event category in which an aircraft system is used for target designation followed by a diving or level Continuously Computed Release Point (CCRP) weapon release. Specific events and criteria are as follows:

LAT (Low Altitude Toss)

Mission: Release altitude is below 10,000 feet AGL. Minimum recovery is safe escape for the ordnance being simulated/delivered.

Hit Criteria: 175 feet (53 meters).

MAT (Medium Altitude Toss)

Mission: Release altitude is 10,000 feet AGL or higher. Minimum recovery is safe escape for the ordnance being simulated/delivered.

Hit Criteria: 300 feet (91 meters).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well you could just make your target point a waypoint in the mission planner. All waypoints are automatically SPIs. I can't remember if bullseye points are working or not...I think they are... If so, just mark your target as a bullseye point in the mission planner and use that as your SPI. Added benefit is that Mavs and the TGP can automatically slew to these points as well.

Thats certainly doable, but it's not a particularly elegant solution.

Again, I understand the time limitations and design decisions a developer has to deal with, so I'm not being critical.

Hopefully though, at some point in the future DCS will support some of the additional functions available with the DTC:

Weapons Profiles (delivery modes, fuzing, SEM, etc)

Air-to-Air Settings (wingspan, TAS, etc)

GCAS settings

Standard navigation points (local DAFIF waypoints)

Specific mission points (Bullseye, SARDOT, IP's, etc)

Stereo routes (common flight plans to/from the range airspace, etc)

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

I'm curious how these points work, is it like the F-16 that had points 1-99 and certain blocks were designated to certain point types? For example:

Navigation/Target STPs: 1-24

Bullseyes: 25-30

Line1: 31-35

Line2: 36-40

Line3: 41-45

Line4: 46-50

PPTs: 56-70

I think mark points were in the 90s and the datalink marks were in the 80s.

So all points are equal in data, simply classified by purpose due to their block. Is that how the A-10s various points work or what?

The "Combat Mission Ready" (CMR) Training Sylibus for A-10 Pilots contains training regiments, requirements and qualification testing criteria for Toss System Delivery...

Those are techniques and procedures. The A-10C FCC should have at least two bombing mode functions, CCRP, CCIP, and maybe some sort of dedicated toss function. If it has some more they will be some oddball ones like LAT, MAT, TOSS, DTOS, etc.

Those are techniques and procedures. The A-10C FCC should have at least two bombing mode functions, CCRP, CCIP, and maybe some sort of dedicated toss function. If it has some more they will be some oddball ones like LAT, MAT, TOSS, DTOS, etc.

My understanding is that the A-10C has CCIP and CCRP computed bomb delivery modes. Loft and toss aren't submodes but rather alternative methods of delivery through CCRP. I think its alittle like using CCIP for level and dive deliveries, the delivery mode is essentially the same, but the way the pilot commands the aircraft is different.

Edited by Blaze1

• 4 weeks later...

The active waypoint (steerpoint) is automatically set as SPI as long as you've not set another SPI using any sensors.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Well, thanks so far. :)

But, what If I allready set another SPI using the TGP, and now I would like to set the next waypoint as SPI?

Set HUD as SOI, select next waypoint, and thats it?

Edited by takamba

DCS Rafale - please :thumbup:

China Hat Aft long to set steerpoint as SPI iirc, havent touched the Hog for a while and can't check for you.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL