Upcoming Afghanistan map discussion - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Which region/provinces should the Afghanistan Map focus on?
East Afghanistan (Nuristan, Kunar, Nangarhar, Khowst) and Pakistan border 58 31.87%
Southeast Afghanistan around Kabul (Kabul, Wardak, Paktia to Paktika) 50 27.47%
South Afghanistan (Helmand, Uruzgan, Kandarhar, Zabul) 88 48.35%
The northern regions (Kunduz, Baglan, Samangan,Balkh) 39 21.43%
West Afghanistan (Herat, Farah and Nimrus) and east of Iran 32 17.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2018, 06:01 PM   #21
Rogue Trooper

This is a difficult poll.

For the first time in DCS, maps merge.
Is it even possible to set up a mission the starts on the Afghanistan map and allows penetration into the Persian gulf map (Iran)?
A multimap mission!
A true invasion!
From this point of view the Iran and Afghan border must be included!

From a chopper simmer point of view the punishing mountains north/North east of Kabul look spectacular.
These mountains will school us chopper boys hot, high and hard when it comes to flying our choppers.

We need it all really!
Rogue Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #22
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Trooper View Post
This is a difficult poll.

For the first time in DCS, maps merge.
Is it even possible to set up a mission the starts on the Afghanistan map and allows penetration into the Persian gulf map (Iran)?
A multimap mission!
A true invasion!
From this point of view the Iran and Afghan border must be included!

From a chopper simmer point of view the punishing mountains north/North east of Kabul look spectacular.
These mountains will school us chopper boys hot, high and hard when it comes to flying our choppers.

We need it all really!
Two comments.

One the current implementation of maps is one map per mission a merge or transit between maps is not supported, yet.

Two hot and high in Afghanistan's higher mountains, basically teaches you to ground the Huey, don't load weapons and too much fuel on the other Choppers currently... So careful, what you wish for. Even the south is challenging...

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #23
Holton181

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
One the current implementation of maps is one map per mission a merge or transit between maps is not supported, yet.
But if we could have several maps for single campaigns, it would be quite nice. Good results in one mission/map would transit you to the next taking place on another map. With the campaigns being just collections of individual missions, wouldn't this be possible already? Like some preparing missions on the NTTR with later deployment taking place on PG, all within the same campaign?
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:49 PM   #24
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holton181 View Post
But if we could have several maps for single campaigns, it would be quite nice. Good results in one mission/map would transit you to the next taking place on another map. With the campaigns being just collections of individual missions, wouldn't this be possible already? Like some preparing missions on the NTTR with later deployment taking place on PG, all within the same campaign?
That should already be possible, campaigns is a sequence of missions. The MIZ file hold the info about required maps/Mods/addons.

Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
Old 08-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #25
Lt.Seahawk

Since Ive been there multiple times Id love to see the northeast as well as the southeast.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #26
Spathiphyllum

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
I vote for East Afghanistan with the high mountains of the Hundukusch and the famous Tora Borah area and Bagram air base of course. But I would also love to like the Kunduz area in northern Afghanistan including Mazar e Sharif or southern Afghanistan with its infamous Helmand and Kandahar provinces and the big Kandahar air base. I'm not really interested in western Afghanistan though.
This exactly!
Spathiphyllum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM   #27
Weta43
ED Testers Team

If the map catches the South West and part of Balochistan and Iran, then campaigns can transition back & forth between the two maps.

Balochistan is Sunni, Iran Shia …
Baloch ethnic group spans all three countries and are active sectarian insurgents.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:47 AM   #28
SVTONY

Hoping to see the east part of Afghanistan, i.e., Pakitya, Kabul, along with Northern Pakistan, i.e. Islamabad.

I don't know if it would fit, but having part of China or India would add more belligerents and stretch the amount of plausible scenarios in the sim.

Intel Core i7-6800K/64GB DDR4/GeForce 1080/Windows 10/2TB HDD/1TB SSD
SVTONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #29
Lenux

Another map with desert, sand...
Old 08-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #30
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenux View Post
Another map with desert, sand...
Man, you have no idea, haven't you?
May want to watch "Lone Survivor" to get an idea of East Afghanistan, with its large wooded mountain ridges, the snow capped peaks and lush valleys.
North is something between prairie/savanna and steppe. The Hindukush with high(!) mountains and even Helmand with the Green Zone the area around the river Helmand where they farm citrus fruits, crop, vegetables and poppies en masse. Contrasted indeed, by the Dasht-e-margo, but then Kandahar province has more resemblence with southern europe inland.

Especially Afghanistan concentrates quite contrasting and different areas in one place, only there is no ocean, well, the indian ocean is close enough for carrier Ops, so we can hope they add it, without detailing India and Pakistan.