Upcoming Afghanistan map discussion - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Which region/provinces should the Afghanistan Map focus on?
East Afghanistan (Nuristan, Kunar, Nangarhar, Khowst) and Pakistan border 58 32.22%
Southeast Afghanistan around Kabul (Kabul, Wardak, Paktia to Paktika) 50 27.78%
South Afghanistan (Helmand, Uruzgan, Kandarhar, Zabul) 88 48.89%
The northern regions (Kunduz, Baglan, Samangan,Balkh) 39 21.67%
West Afghanistan (Herat, Farah and Nimrus) and east of Iran 30 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2018, 09:05 PM   #11
Stratos

East Afghanistan, so I can replicate Soviet combats there with my Hind.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:08 PM   #12
Mr_sukebe

Be ambitious, all of it.
Always better to start negotiations high
Old 07-29-2018, 10:36 PM   #13
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71st_AH Rob View Post
DCS Maps are approx 1800 NM x 800 NM with detailed area around 400 x 400 NM.

Afghanistan is slightly smaller than the state of Texas, with a total area of 647,500 sq km (250,001 sq mi), extending 1,240 km (770 mi) NE–SW and 560 km (350 mi) SE–NW. Most of the country can be in the detailed area.
I've added a comparison with the Persian Gulf Map to get an idea about the "detailed" focus area.

We need to keep in mind that performance and amount of work seems related to object count and details. The Persian Gulf, as well as the Caucasus has a lot of water surface...

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:50 AM   #14
71st_AH Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
We need to keep in mind that performance and amount of work seems related to object count and details. The Persian Gulf, as well as the Caucasus has a lot of water surface...
There may not be any ocean, but most of the country is empty, except for two cities of less than a million with no skyscrapers. Most people in small compounds not complex houses so object count should be comparable with Nevada.

Training for Sabre Pilots
http://1-fighter-otu.enjin.com/

http://www.il2aceshigh.com/
71st_AH Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:27 AM   #15
King Cobra

I would love to see RC East since I served in the providences there and a lot of fighting takes place in that command AO. The Soviets had a number of major battle in the area with Kherwar in Logar where the Soviets lost a Division I believe and the are was named the Bowl of Death then the US made a COP out there about a Km away from the Soviet post where they were ambushed and overran. You also got FOB Shank and Altimor that are about a km away from each other, Tangi Valley, Korengal Valley both areas would make flying and support missions more complex and give Rotor guys OP and COP that may need medvac or supplies with steep ledges on the sides of ridglines that would add a hard job to land close enough to unload and load cargo maybe even having to hover with just one skid down... Either way I am glad it is being added and hope it is in the eastern part where majority of the fighting took place.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:59 AM   #16
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71st_AH Rob View Post
There may not be any ocean, but most of the country is empty, except for two cities of less than a million with no skyscrapers. Most people in small compounds not complex houses so object count should be comparable with Nevada.
Much more trees in the Mountains, vegetation in the Green Zone, plus the "deserted regions" aren't exactly empty...
If they can get a good performance over all of Afghanistan and the Pakistani border regions down to Quetta and southern Helmand/Pakistan border, fine with me.

Just in case it isn't that simple, I would love them to focus the details on south and southeast Afghanistan (Helmand, Kandahar and the regions at the eastern border to Pakistan). If they need to make a decision I personally could live without a detailed north and west...

But that's just my preference and the reason I started this thread. To give ED some ideas...

Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
Old 07-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #17
Stratos

I hope they include at least one Pakistani Air force airbase so we can use the JF-17 from there.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:40 PM   #18
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
I hope they include at least one Pakistani Air force airbase so we can use the JF-17 from there.
Very good point. Opens up a lot of options.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:34 PM   #19
twistking

i'm not familiar with the details of afghani topography, but i would prefer a part with great diversity in landscape:
this would mean a map covering mountain ranges, greenzones, arid areas and a major city... idk if all that would fit into a dcs sized map though
Old 07-31-2018, 10:10 PM   #20
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistking View Post
i'm not familiar with the details of afghani topography, but i would prefer a part with great diversity in landscape:
this would mean a map covering mountain ranges, greenzones, arid areas and a major city... idk if all that would fit into a dcs sized map though
"Major" city is difficult, as the most major cities are likely Kabul and Kandahar. South and East Afghanistan would have a considerable variety, from Desert (Dasht-e-margo), the Helmand valley (green zone along the riverbed) over Kabul, Kandahar and arid harsh lands to the mountains of the Hindukush and the Pakistani border in the east.